Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Marketplace

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Toby Threadgill
United_States
Heavyweight Cotton Hakama

Hello,

I'm wondering how many people in aikido like wearing a heavyweight 100% cotton hakama? The reason I ask is since Bujin Design closed over in Boulder I have been looking for a new supplier of equipment like heavyweight cotton hakama's, keikogi, sword bags and good TSYR bokken. We've obtained new suppliers for TSYR bokken but we were not able to find a supplier for the type of keikogi, hakama's and sword bags we prefer. We are now gearing up to manufacture our own line of gear thru a company in New Zealand. The trick is volume. If there is a market for blue heavyweight cotton hakama in the aikido community I'll consider increasing my manufacturing volume and market to the aikido community.

We are also in the process of producing keikogi that are longer and more appropriate for use with a hakama than the judo type gi frequently worn by aikidoka. These keikogi have shorter sleeves, are cut longer in length and are slit in the back not in the sides. This gives the keikogi a cleaner line and prevents the gi from puckering out thru the side vent of the hakama. Both the hakama and keikogi are manufactured from 100% brushed 10oz cotton duck. They are very durable.

Toby Threadgill / TSYR
Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Heavyweight Cotton Hakama

Sensei,
I have a black Tozando heavyweight cotton that I prefer to the others. We have a choice of black or blue, and I prefer black, as most of my dojomates seem to.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 07-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Did you try Peter Boylan at https://www.budogu.com/index.cfm ?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

I wear the heavy weight indigo cotton hakama of Iwata.
Very good quality, best service ... which has it's price ...
Before that I used to order my hakama at Tozando.

Don't know whether you think of shipping your goods but I'm quite sure that people over here will tend to order in Japan and not in the US.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

Hi Toby,

My 12oz Bujin is getting pretty frayed now so I'm definitely thinking of getting a new one at some stage soon - I'd be interested. Are you planning on doing anything similar to the aiki style Koshita?

We're in the UK - would they be sent direct from NZ or to you first? Just thinking it might be a cheaper option for us not based in the US to have to cover the shipping to you first then to us.

As for keikogi then again, definitely interested as there's still no sign of the Bujin ones turning up anytime soon. Not sure what happened with the deal with Aikido24.com.

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 08-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Toby Threadgill wrote: View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering how many people in aikido like wearing a heavyweight 100% cotton hakama? The reason I ask is since Bujin Design closed over in Boulder I have been looking for a new supplier of equipment like heavyweight cotton hakama's, keikogi, sword bags and good TSYR bokken. We've obtained new suppliers for TSYR bokken but we were not able to find a supplier for the type of keikogi, hakama's and sword bags we prefer. We are now gearing up to manufacture our own line of gear thru a company in New Zealand. The trick is volume. If there is a market for blue heavyweight cotton hakama in the aikido community I'll consider increasing my manufacturing volume and market to the aikido community.

We are also in the process of producing keikogi that are longer and more appropriate for use with a hakama than the judo type gi frequently worn by aikidoka. These keikogi have shorter sleeves, are cut longer in length and are slit in the back not in the sides. This gives the keikogi a cleaner line and prevents the gi from puckering out thru the side vent of the hakama. Both the hakama and keikogi are manufactured from 100% brushed 10oz cotton duck. They are very durable.

Toby Threadgill / TSYR
I'd be very interested... Maybe I can get details from you when you up here in Seattle over the weekend...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Toby Threadgill wrote: View Post
Hello,

Toby Threadgill / TSYR
I'd be interested in trying out one of your keikogis. Do you guys wear pants?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

We try not to.

I don't know of any plans on Toby's part to produce pants. One of the reasons for the longer keikogi with a back vent is so that no skin will show when wearing with kakama.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Tyson Walters

New Zealand

Did this ever come to fruition?

I'm new on the scene here in NZ, and would be willing to try out the product as I'm in the market. And if its made here in NZ that would save me a huge amount on shipping.

Cheers,

T