Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #26
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Self-defense, Wisdom, and the Way of Aikido

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
But what does "train like your life depends on it" actually mean, ...
Well, I strive for practicing and teaching in a way that heals body and soul. Because I think physical and mental health is what our life depends on. To put it simple: keiko should make people healthier and happier.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #27
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
I bow to superior data...

Pre-deployment training would be more comparable to day-to-day training among experienced students. Beginners have a much higher attrition rate, although it's hard to say how much of it is injury-related. I also don't know how many military recruits are lost to injuries during basic training.

Toward the question of the relationship between training intensity and injury rates, it would be interesting to go back and see where your "high-incidence" dojos fall on the scale.

Katherine
Pre-deployment training and recruit training are quite different. A commonality between the two, among injury cause, would be chaos and confusion. Much more so in the recruit training world, but also applicable to pre-deployment training. Injuries rarely come from fighting with one another, but traditional workplace accidents or general wear and tear on the body coming to a head.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #28
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Over the past two weekends my aikido training has come in very handy i potntially dangerous situations. Once to fend off an attack from slightly behind and to the left as a horse tried to bite me on the shoulder while I was working on another horse. And again this past weekend when the 2,000 pound Belgian I was trying to trim sent me flying into a full backward roll, narowly avoiding a 4x4 post. In both cases my traiig prevented a potential serious injury. Both times I was able to mater of factly continue my work without anyone getting excited about the incidents and without significat interruption in the procedings.

Personally I thnk aikido is very efective. Just maybe not the way some people expect.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #29
RonRagusa
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Over the past two weekends my aikido training has come in very handy i potntially dangerous situations. Once to fend off an attack from slightly behind and to the left as a horse tried to bite me on the shoulder while I was working on another horse. And again this past weekend when the 2,000 pound Belgian I was trying to trim sent me flying into a full backward roll, narowly avoiding a 4x4 post. In both cases my traiig prevented a potential serious injury. Both times I was able to mater of factly continue my work without anyone getting excited about the incidents and without significat interruption in the procedings.

Personally I thnk aikido is very efective. Just maybe not the way some people expect.
Kudos.

Ron

Old 08-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #30
Sojourner
Australia

Quote:
I found this quote in a political article, but it struck me as applicable to the ongoing self-defense debates, too.

Everyone talks about how aikido needs to be a "real" martial art, with credible self-defense capabilities. I actually tend to agree with that. But it's also a "do," a Way, aimed at developing better human beings.

Very few of us will ever actually need to use our martial training to protect ourselves or our loved ones. But I suspect we could all do with a little bit more wisdom.

Katherine
Well said Katherine,

Perhaps an indication of an experienced Aikidoka or Martial Artist in general is the realization that you do not have to accept every invitation to a party that you are offered?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #31
hallsbayfisherman
Dojo: Akido institute of newfoundland
Canada

Quote:
Situations where people really are training for combat tend to have fairly high injury rates. As do elite athletes, regardless of their sport. So, as with everything else, there are tradeoffs.

Katherine
No doubt, trained full contact for years (BJJ,JUDO,KENPO) ,now have partially disabled left wrist and left leg, limited range of shoulder motion and can't stand in one place for more than a minute due to back pain.Was tough as nails at the time though,not so much now...still training just the same,in the blood I guess.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.