Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-07-2004, 03:19 AM   #1
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Aikiweb Get Together

Hello Everyone,

Since I am so busy during the week, weekends are valued as a 2-day period of 'private space'. Last weekend, however, I fulfilled a longstanding promise to visit a friend and longterm Aikiweb forum member in Himeji, which is about an hour by shinkansen from Hiroshima. This was the third such meeting.

Of course, the focus of such get togethers is training, talking, and eating & drinking, though not in any particular order. What was interesting about the training is that I renewed an acquaintance with a certain type of aikido that I have not experienced for many years. This really did involve a need to redraw one's training parameters, so to speak and involved a whole host of factors, like distance, timing, attacking, ukemi, and even feigning. I believe that the techniques practiced were variations on: shomen-ate, aigamae-ate, gyakugamae-ate, gedan-ate and ushiro-ate (at least I think so, having looked at Lee Ah Loifs book).

For a brief period I led the class, which involved a redrawing of parameters in another direction\for the other members this time, as they were asked to practise techniques which most had never seen before: mainly joint locks followed by throws.

After training we had lunch and then drove along the coast between Himeji and Aioi to a seaside hotel in a place called Mittsu. There was a lot of discussion over a beer (or three, I think) about a vast array of issues beloved of aikido enthusiasts. The discussion continued over supper, which was tai (sea bream, I believe) cooked in a Greek style. Very nice.

I very much look forward to the next meeting, which will probably take place in autumn, when the weather is not so hot.

Finally, I have not mentioned any names, but I think that Aikiweb members can guess without much difficulty whose hospitality I enjoyed.

Best regards to all,

P A Goldsbury
Old 07-07-2004, 04:05 AM   #2
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: Aikiweb Get Together

Hi Peter (and Peter ),

Hope you didn't get the same taxi driver as me in Himeji, otherwise your mat time would have been very short!

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-07-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
akiy

Hi Peter,

It's always a pleasure to hear when people meet "in real life" -- especially folks as open minded as yourself! I'm glad you're already planning the next get-together later this year.

If all goes well, I should be visiting a friend or two in Japan within the next year or so, one of whom will be near Kumamoto. If I'm able, I'll definitely try to swing by Hiroshima and/or Himeji!

Best regards,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Well the visit was a real pleasure. Peter came up from Hiroshima in the morning so he missed all the warm-ups and drills <---- possibly a smart move. I had originally hoped for an extended lesson so that Peter G. could instruct longer than he did while still managing to get a Shodokan lesson proper in but even so we managed to cross-fertilize. Our group was a little truncated that morning and weighted towards beginners but everyone came away with something new and interesting.

After practice we had our regular Dojo lunch but the conversation seemed to be everywhere but Aikido. We more than made up for it when myself and Norm (an Aikikai Nidan who trains with us) went off with Peter for an "interview". Norm has done a few for Aikido Journal and is a journalist. The write-up unfortunately might take awhile as Norm is moving back to Canada and the from deviated rather quickly from the question/answer format.

A drive back to my place, a quick fish to Peter and then he went back to Hiroshima to a pile of work and I went off to pull a 12 hour shift at work. Sunday morning I was a zombie.

Peter is of course welcome back in the fall. Looking forward to that. It's not just the Aikido - it's talking about the Aikido. It's always amazing the greater detail and nuance that gets discussed in private.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido