Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-23-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
Paul Melsness
Dojo: Ottawa Aikikai
Canada
Ki Symbol Aikido and Yoga

Hi everyone,

This is my first thread on the Aikiweb forums although I've been reading it ever since starting Aikido 2 years ago.

This is a wonderful resource!

My wife has recently started taking yoga and has been telling me how wonderful she feels afterward (being a dance teacher she has her share of chronic pain from years of ballet). I've noticed a lot of injuries that can result from years of Aikido (specifically in the knees and other joints) and have been intrigued with the idea of augmenting my training with some yoga. I figured I would probably be one of those aikidoka that end up with bad knees eventually anyways due to a condition (Patella Femoral Syndrome)

I'm wondering if there are any aikidoka out there who are also yogis/yoginis and if you find that yoga compliments your aikido training (especially with regards to joint health).

Peace,

Paul
Old 02-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
I am a dancer and yogini and i feel yoga is absolutely complementary to aikido. It will most definitly help y0ur balance, ukemi and recovery time.

Just don't try to do it in an air-conditioned space.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 02-23-2004, 03:03 PM   #3
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
I'm not an active yoga practitioner, but I do work out with intense aerobic weight training vidoes. I've found that this kind of activity has increased my core strength, over all physical strength, stamina, and flexibility. It has been a tremendous benefit to my aikido. Strengtening my core has helped my ukemi and protects my back from injury. Increasing my stamina means I don't have to take a break while we train intensely.

Yoga is great for developing strong core muscles (abs and back), strong stabilizer muscles for balance, and of course flexibility. Depending on the type of yoga you practice it's also great for overall body conditioning and improving your stamina. This raises your overall health, and by doing so benefits your aikido because you can train more intensely, do randori longer, take ukemi better, etc.

Go for it!

Last edited by giriasis : 02-23-2004 at 03:06 PM.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 02-24-2004, 02:00 AM   #4
JessePasley
Dojo: none at the moment
China
In addition to the physical benefits, I would also say that Yoga demands the same sort of 'budo' attitude...direct, engaged, willing to surpass physical limitations. Yoga is a great way to train this in a different context, espcially one that doesn't require pain and having the snot knocked out of you.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States
I have started doing yoga for that past 4 months. It helps tremendously! Physically, by back gave me problems...no more! Even though the breathing exercises in yoga are different than aikido, I do believe that the yoga type breathing has helped in my aikido breathing and stamina.

It seems to me that yoga complements aikido. I encourage all of my students to attend the yoga class.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:14 PM   #6
AsimHanif
Yoga (asana & pranayama), Tai Chi, Chi Kung, etc are totally in harmony with aikido practice. Any type of mindfulness practice will benefit your aikido. Those type of (softform) internal arts compiment each other well. The key is to pick one that suits you.

Right now my focus is on Tai Chi, meditation, basic conditioning. I roll it all up into my aikido umbrella. Tai Chi gives me a way of performing kata (moving meditation) which I miss from my karate days.