Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #26
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Power and Compassion

Hmmmm there's an interesting thought.... Is the development of Ki in one's Aikido neccessary to learn or understand the meaning of compassion in Budo???

My experiance mirrors Sensei Hooker's to a degree...and by practicing "not fighting" I've been told I have turned into a really sweet guy.

Most of the Aikido folks I have met over the years with backgrounds close to mine seem to have had almost the same experiance with the growth of compassion in both thier practice and daily life...

"The Art of Peace does not rely on weapons or brute force to succeed; instead we put ourselves in tune with the universe, maintain peace in our own realms, nurture life, and prevent death and destruction. The true meaning of the word samurai is one who serves and adheres to the power of love." O'Sensei

William Hazen
Old 06-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #27
Haowen Chan
United_States

I'm not really fond of the constant urge to mix metaphysical ideas with physical training. Surely it should be more organic than that.

Like any other sport or long-term endeavour, I think the study of martial arts just make you more of what you want to be, whatever that actually happens to imply.

Mixing in values and judgements into a technical matter simply misses the point and diminishes both the stand-alone importance of the values and the usefulness of the technical information.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #28
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

The idea was what can be done to better avoid "power abuse" when we are increasing the general level of power. -Rob
Old 06-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #29
DH
United_States

I thought that was what you were referring to as well. As I noted it seemed a fairly straight forward observation too.
Other than you guys in Aikido making a list of who you think should be avoided-which could be very dicey- I have no idea how you'd manage to pull it off.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #30
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
The idea was what can be done to better avoid "power abuse" when we are increasing the general level of power. -Rob
So, would, as an example, posts/boasts of personal exploits, etc., be a good indication of who might "abuse power" and laud it over other people be a good example of what to look for???? Can you think of better indicators of how to avoid "power abuse" than to watch for people who brag about what they can do, who they have met, etc.? Give us an idea of what indicators you'd use.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #31
DH
United_States

delete

Last edited by DH : 06-27-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #32
DH
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
So, would, as an example, posts/boasts of personal exploits, etc., be a good indication of who might "abuse power" and laud it over other people be a good example of what to look for???? Can you think of better indicators of how to avoid "power abuse" than to watch for people who brag about what they can do, who they have met, etc.? Give us an idea of what indicators you'd use.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
How about personal witness to abuse from a senior? Seems pretty simple. Especially, when guys in the arts have seen that played out, then met people with more power who choose not to use it to harm those learning, then offer a leg up to help them.
That seems pretty straight forward as well.

Last edited by DH : 06-27-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:14 AM   #33
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Hey that's "thread abuse"

Work with me people!

Rob