Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-03-2002, 02:00 PM   #51
Guest5678
Re: Choose Death or Possible Death

Aikido, for me, is more about proper response to a situation. Proper response does not exclude any option...

I can, and reflecting on my experiences, will use whatever I deem proper for any given situation. I believe this to be Aiki.

-Mongo
Old 09-03-2002, 05:43 PM   #52
Jeremy H
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyu Kai Sydney
I'm new to aikido (having done some judo several years ago) and can truthfully say that at the age of 31 I've never felt threatened in any way even slightly resembling the scenario described. I am a man of peace and I am taking up aikido because it is a way of peace and harmony which allows me to develop physicality. If I wanted to learn to reflexively kill or maim people I'd have taken up jiu-jutsu.

I have observed in the past that a lot of people who have done martial arts seem to unconsciously draw violent situations into their sphere - either out of a need to prove their prowess or to be taught lessons of their own.

If one has done this and a knife-wielding uke presents themselves for education - educate them to the best of your ability. If this means you have to break their arm or dislocate their shoulder to disable the threat they present then *shrugs* they chose the education. However, if you are trained to the point where you don't need these things and could happily weave around the knife without being hurt and manage to turn your opponent so you can simply back out of the alleyway, there is no real threat. With no true threat there is no longer a need to harm uke - no matter how drug-addled they are. The education process is no longer on the risks but on the futility of violence. To teach a lesser lesson when capable of this one is a gross ethical breach and a sign of a lazy mind.

We are all here to learn, and to teach what we know. To teach a lesser lesson out of pettiness ("how dare they pull a knife!") or ego ("I must dispense justice!") is to fail in your responsibilities to yourself and your society.

I hope that makes sense. I'm new to the physical aspect of aikido but the philosophical and spiritual aspects of the art are very much in keeping with how I believe life should be lived and their concepts are old friends.

Harmony to all

Jeremy

The difference between shadow and light
Is the fat bastard standing in the doorway
Old 09-03-2002, 08:49 PM   #53
virginia_kyu
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Quote:
However, if you are trained to the point where you don't need these things and could happily weave around the knife without being hurt and manage to turn your opponent so you can simply back out of the alleyway, there is no real threat.
Not sure that is realistic dude.

-- Michael Neal
-- http://www.theaikidolink.dnsdyn.net/
Old 09-11-2002, 01:30 AM   #54
Jermaine Alley
Dojo: Aikido Of Richmond
Knife Attack

Ian,

Great job in your situation..you hit it on the head when you said you reacted instinctively to that situation.

When it comesto an attack with anykind of weapon..if you accept the fact that you might and probably will catch a shot of some tipe.you will do just fine.

I think that if you jam the attacker up, and do a host of atemi if not a technique you might win, by coming out of the situation alive.

As far as killing the attacker..i don't think that would be a good thing to try,unless you know a death touch technique...(lets remember legal ramifications too).

So yeah, i think that i choose to jam the attacker up...play my odds that way instead of backing and dodging and hoping that i won't get cut..

jermaine