Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2003, 06:55 AM   #1
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Question Why the forums?

Hello everybody,

Mr. Lee raised an interesting point in a recent post, that about the forum not being for a certain purpose. It got me to thinking; why do we use the forums, and what are we trying to get out of it?

Personally I like to use the forums as a way to get information and general opinions. I've used it extensively to get ideas about marketing a new dojo, and about what folks thought about my website. Also I've found it helpful when I've had a minor etiquette question. This has been extremely helpful to me, and I feel as if I have made some nice contacts out there in the aikido world that I would not have made otherwise (being outside of the organization to which I belong). Mr. Aikiyama is doing a fabulous job running this site, and has consistently offered good feedback and interesting polls.

I'd be interested to hear what other people like to use the forums for, and what they get out of it.

all the best,

Rachel
Old 02-20-2003, 07:19 AM   #2
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Dear Rachmass,

Wish you'd added the thread you're referring to, I thought I'd missed one of Mr Lee's (in)famous blunt replies and eagerly went a-searching...

I started my reply like this because that is what I get from the forums, others view-points and opinions from people who sort-of share an interest with me (although the range of aikido described is sometimes boggling).

The added bonus is that these views are from people I'm unlikely to meet, have no "baggage" with due to any on-going social relationship with them and consequently I can (hopefully) read their opinions with a more objective frame of mind.

I've also, on occasion, been able to think "great, it's not just me" and have enjoyed the (sometimes oblique) tangents the threads follow.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:38 AM   #3
Andrew Wilson
Dojo: jiyushikan
I started to come here because I had no way of learning about budo/aikido save for the internet during my recovery from a minor surgery. I was on leave and wanted to read and learn about the art I was going to start when I returned.

now I am back on my feets again, training and studying, and I am finding this place still serves as a great place to learn.

Granted some of the posting seems sorta silly, like the whole " I dont do aikido because of this/that/someother reason, but I wanted you all to know" posts. but aside from silly bickering, I find this place an invaluable forum to learn and grow.

it makes me think about things

"The wise man, after learning something new, is afraid to learn anything more until he has put his first lesson into practice." - Tzu Lu
Old 02-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #4
shihonage
United_States
Wilson !!

(sorry, just watched "Cast Away" recently)
Old 02-20-2003, 02:14 PM   #5
bob_stra
Australia
....?

Because I wanted to yak to ppl abt aikido at all hours of the day, on all sorts of "difficult-to-express-in-speech" topics?
Old 02-20-2003, 02:15 PM   #6
rachmass
ah come on Bob, it was meant as a discussion on what we get out of this ;-)

BTW, thanks for the info on calorie burn!!!

Rachel
Old 02-20-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
Col.Clink
Dojo: Waiuku Ki Society
I came here to learn about terms,language, phillosophy's of different Schools, but more important to me, to see Aikido through someone else's eyes and mind.

And that's about it.

Cheers

Rob

"Excess leads to the path of Wisdom"
Old 02-20-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
bob_stra
Australia
>Rachel Massey wrote:

>ah come on Bob, it was meant as a discussion >on what we get out of this ;-)

Hey, I came for the advice and stayed for

the mental masturbation ;-)

I actually came here to find out abt the "people face" of aikido. The things the shiny, happy instructor down at the dojo won't parade out on the first lesson.

Aikido has a bad rep. I wanted to see why and thought perhaps a broad cross section of folks, discussing all sorts of aiki things would help me understand.

Mostly I hang out here because -

(1) Goldmine of info

(2) You have 2 brain cells to rub together

(3) Good interaction

(4) Questions get answered. Answers get questioned.

Because of my schedule, you folks are sort of all my surigate, after hours aikido dojo. Who else am I going to talk to abt aikido @ 5:47am when I can go to bed?

>BTW, thanks for the info on calorie burn!!!

Who would have thought 30 minutes would do so much for one's waist line, huh?

(BTW, in real terms, that figure equates about to about 1 Mcdonalds Cheeseburger)

I still maintain that ukemi practice is tougher than irimi practice. Maybe taking ukemi from irimi nage is hardest of all !!

<Hey...Jane could hook that up..."percussive effects of tumbling: a study in gravity assisted weightloss">

Last edited by bob_stra : 02-20-2003 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:51 PM   #9
rachmass
Well Bob, hate to rain on your gourmand parade, but the calcs were not exactly right (at least the ones you gave me), and if we relied on aikido for our waistlines, we'd all be as round as a ball. Actually I think that with all the stopping and starting involved in aikido, that we are lucky to be burning the equivalent of a good 3.5 mile an hour walk. When I did my figures (none of the VO2 or whatever stuff), I came up with only around 300 calories an hour for a 140 pound woman! Depressing! Now, an hour of irimi nage ukemi is probably worth a big mac (or for veg heads like myself, a garden burger).

best from across the world!

Rachel
Old 02-20-2003, 03:15 PM   #10
bob_stra
Australia
>Rachel Massey (rachmass)"]Well Bob, hate to >rain on your gourmand parade, but the calcs >were not exactly right (at least the ones you >gave me)

That's true...they were an estimate based on mid level aerobics for a women your height and weight.

As I mentioned, you'd need to get hooked up to all sorts of esoteric equipment to get the *exact* number.

>3.5 mile an hour walk.

That's like....almost 7km. Not something to be sneezed at.

You want brutal hard work in next to no time and with little equipment?

http://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM

http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

I would guess that working at 200% of your Vo2 max would burn up a huge amount of calories. If I had to guess, perhaps 300 to 400. Not bad for 4 minutes, if you survive ;-)
Old 02-21-2003, 12:55 AM   #11
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
To be totally honest

I got to say, the only reason I am in these forums is to pass the time at work with something I enjoy doing/reading about. I love to ppl watch and what better place to do it than in a forum. Admittedly I have learned alot about my chosen art here. As well I have learned alot about myself. It is much easier to reflect on how you interact with people when you can go back and read exactly how the conversation went. Was I being too opinionated? was my ego getting in the way of what I needed to say? How did I feel about times when others disagreed with me? If I was offended why did/should it have bothered me? Even though this has been a time passer for me, I have appreciated the learning experience I have derived from each and every one of your opinions and comments.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:49 AM   #12
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Re: To be totally honest

Quote:
Kelly Allen wrote:
I got to say, the only reason I am in these forums is to pass the time at work ...
AMEN!!!

I actually come here to mine for the 5% of useful information I can use. For the most part most of the forums are just "politically correct" bubblegum for the brain.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:48 PM   #13
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
I think Kelly hit a spot with me too: people watching is great. I also use the forums to test my knowledge and my training as an aikidoka. In class we ask kohei what kind of aikidoka s/he wants to be, because of my firm belief in training that aikido does not stop when they drive off the parking lot.

This is a fun (and usually) safe place to test myself. I learn from the experiences of others (which makes me dangerous! ) and see what flies in the real world.

Besides, isn't it just fun to B.S. sometimes?

*Phil

Last edited by PhilJ : 02-21-2003 at 10:50 PM.

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 02-22-2003, 07:59 AM   #14
mike lee
Cool point, counter-point

Quote:
For the most part most of the forums are just "politically correct" bubblegum for the brain.
What about my politically incorrect posts?
Old 02-26-2003, 06:20 AM   #15
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Re: point, counter-point

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
What about my politically incorrect posts?
Hi Mike,

Been away for a while, not ignoring your counter point.

You're right there is the other side of this forum which I try to avoid. Those people who come onto the web with the intent to flame others. The, I'm write your wrong, and because you're wrong I can mock and ridicule your beliefs. These are often the same people who leave out most of their profile items blank, and use a handle rather than their name.

So maybe I should've said 5% is usefull information. With 50% being politcally correct bubblegum and the other 45% being useless flames and arguments.

Take care Mike.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:02 PM   #16
ronmar
unfair

Quote:
You're right there is the other side of this forum which I try to avoid. Those people who come onto the web with the intent to flame others. The, I'm write your wrong, and because you're wrong I can mock and ridicule your beliefs. These are often the same people who leave out most of their profile items blank, and use a handle rather than their name.
Its often not that way at all. Its just hard to get a contentious point across to an audience who are used to thinking in a particular way. Its obvious that if you are a regular on aikiweb then you adhere to its standard views and beliefs. Hence the common resurfacing of old arguements without any recourse to new thinking. I, for one, tried aikido and didn't enjoy it. Lots of other people seem to have a familiar experience and are harshly attacked and driven away. Why always attack them and not question yourselves? Aikido is the most questioned 'martial' art on the internet. Why is this? None of the same old #£$% please.

Ron
Old 02-26-2003, 03:37 PM   #17
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: unfair

Quote:
Ron Marshall (ronmar) wrote:
Its often not that way at all. Its just hard to get a contentious point across to an audience who are used to thinking in a particular way. Its obvious that if you are a regular on aikiweb then you adhere to its standard views and beliefs. Hence the common resurfacing of old arguements without any recourse to new thinking. I, for one, tried aikido and didn't enjoy it. Lots of other people seem to have a familiar experience and are harshly attacked and driven away. Why always attack them and not question yourselves? Aikido is the most questioned 'martial' art on the internet. Why is this? None of the same old #£$% please.

Ron
You never did find a dojo you could get along with then Ron? Too bad.

Are you practicing something else, a different martial art perhaps?

Sean

x
Old 02-26-2003, 03:42 PM   #18
Les Kelso
Dojo: T.C. Academy
United_States
Re: unfair

Quote:
Ron Marshall (ronmar) wrote:

Ron
I understand what Ron is saying...too bad we lost him...

most of the time when a school loses a student it's because the instructor cannot communicate on different levels. a good teacher reaches many levels, not just his favorites or the 'class act' aikidoka. forums are extremely useful for just such purposes as what Ron is expressing..

For me personally most of you know the Aiki web forum was responsible for a considerable amount of prayer and even financial assistance via an awesome raffle in which Aikidoka from several countries participated.

Through the forum my wife and I have learned the incredible reach of the aikiweb.

for instance, a gentleman from hong kong whom we have never met (but would like to someday), out of sympathy and love sent a $500 dollar donation to the Barbara Bowen Medical Fund.

The Forum has sparked many many conversations and debates with aikidoka at our dojo.

As in any open debate or forum though, as I'm sure most of you know, there is always one or two who have to be taken with a LARGE grain of salt...

Keep up the stimulus!