Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Douglas Fajardo
Dojo: budo aiki dojo aikikai
Location: Habana
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 28
Cuba
Offline
Aikido vs Daito Ryu

Hi my friends ,
maybe you can help me 'cause I do'nt understand why many persons who trains Daito Ryu thinks that Daito the best of all MMA
A few days ago I read that someone wrote once [ if you are traing
and uke scream because of the pain tha's daito ryu but if he smiles tha's Aikido ] what do you think my friends ,
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
Location: Devon
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,220
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Aikido vs Daito Ryu

Quote:
Douglas Fajardo wrote:
Hi my friends ,
maybe you can help me 'cause I do'nt understand why many persons who trains Daito Ryu thinks that Daito the best of all MMA
A few days ago I read that someone wrote once [ if you are traing
and uke scream because of the pain tha's daito ryu but if he smiles tha's Aikido ] what do you think my friends ,
I think that I'm glad that I practice aikido

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Cady Goldfield
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,025
United_States
Offline
Re: Aikido vs Daito Ryu

Porque crees eso, Douglas? Lo parece a mi que las personas que aprenden Daito-ryu no son difrentes que los que aprenden aikido. Daito-ryu es "el padre" de aikido, entonces es posible que algunas personas piensan que es el arte "superior," pero yo creo que es "el mismo, pero difrente."
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Douglas Fajardo
Dojo: budo aiki dojo aikikai
Location: Habana
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 28
Cuba
Offline
Re: Aikido vs Daito Ryu

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote:
Porque crees eso, Douglas? Lo parece a mi que las personas que aprenden Daito-ryu no son difrentes que los que aprenden aikido. Daito-ryu es "el padre" de aikido, entonces es posible que algunas personas piensan que es el arte "superior," pero yo creo que es "el mismo, pero difrente."
Hola Cady como estas , te dire que yo realmente creo en el Aikido ,creo que para mi es el arte verdadero porque combina la armonia con la fuerza y cuando realmente lo dominas aunque sea un poco realmente te hace sentri muy bien,
lo que no me gusta es que hay personas que piensan que porque aprenden una tecnica de daito piensan que son superiores a todos,
En especial a mi me gusta mucho el Daito ryu , pero siempre me pregunto porque la gente que entrena daito [algunas] sienpre rechasan al Aikido ,
la historia entre Morihei y Sokaku siempre ha estado muy confusa muchos piensan que estos dos hombres siempren se llevaban bien otros no lo piensan asi ... aunque historiadores afirman que los dos se apreciaban mucho , talvez el problema empeso por sus alumnos , que tu crees Cady.

Mucha suerte y gracias por responderme
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Cady Goldfield
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,025
United_States
Offline
Re: Aikido vs Daito Ryu

Hola, Douglas.

Me gusto Daito-ryu, porque es mi arte. Pero, yo comprendo que Ueshiba tuvio un idea importante, en la armonia con la fuerza,y entre la fuerza y la persona. En el mundo moderno, nos falta armonia; aikido es como un "lugar de la paz y harmonia."

Tiene razon -- muchas personas no comprenden la historia entre Ueshiba y Takeda. Yo he leo libros que describen la historia de Daito-ryu y Aikido, y yo se que Ueshiba aprendio todo que lo supio (de aikijujutsu) con Takeda. Pero, Ueshiba no ensenio toda de Daito-ryu a sus alumnos (porque Daito-ryu es para luchar, y aikido es para la harmonia).

Yo pienso que no les importe a los alumnos de aikido si ellos no comprenden Daito-ryu -- el arte de Ueshiba tiene un filosofia diffrente. Si una persona de Daito-ryu le dice que Aikido es un arte inferior, es porque esa persona no comprende la filosofia.

Mi Espanol es muy pobre, pero yo espero que Ud. comprende-me!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
Location: Phila. Pa
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,614
United_States
Offline
Re: Aikido vs Daito Ryu

Quote:
A few days ago I read that someone wrote once [ if you are traing and uke scream because of the pain tha's daito ryu but if he smiles tha's Aikido ] what do you think my friends ,
If that comes from the website I think it does, I think the publisher of the website is a poser. And doesn't know squat about legitimate Daito ryu, no matter how good a technician he may be on the mat.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Location: Florida
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,267
Offline
Re: Aikido vs Daito Ryu

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
If that comes from the website I think it does, I think the publisher of the website is a poser. And doesn't know squat about legitimate Daito ryu, no matter how good a technician he may be on the mat.
Hey, Ron.

I agree. And anyway, why are we having this discussion AGAIN! when there's a perfectly adequate search function here, not to mention Google?!

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
michael_rath
Dojo: none
Location: Cheyenne, Wy
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
United_States
Offline
Lightbulb Re: Aikido vs Daito Ryu

Daito Ryu is where O Sensei started. He left for spiritual reasons and changed it for his personal pursuit. Daito Ryu is all too similar to Aikido. I study both arts and find far too many similarities to say one would be better then the other. If you use them together you won't see much of a difference.

They both lock, throw, pin, and use strikes. There may be a few more jujutsu techniques in Daito Ryu then Aikido, but if there wasn't something different why would O Sensei see it fit to found Aikido?

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 319
Japan
Offline
Re: Aikido vs Daito Ryu

it's all about perceptions that people have about what is advanced technique. Pain or no pain for uke is a big one for Westerners. I don't know how many times I've heard aikido pushed for law enforcement "because it leaves no bruises". Sheesh....the family counceling people would have a field day if that was our normal approach in other aspects of our society. There's also the famous "what's the difference between judo and jujutsu?" joke which also plays on stupid ideas of old arts being about pain and death while newer ones are about "happyfull life" to quote a Japanese T-shirt. Those would all come under the finger pointing at the moon problem IMHO when the treasure is the ki development wrt the body and martial arts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #10
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Location: Florida
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,267
Offline
Re: Aikido vs Daito Ryu

Quote:
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
it's all about perceptions that people have about what is advanced technique. Pain or no pain for uke is a big one for Westerners. I don't know how many times I've heard aikido pushed for law enforcement "because it leaves no bruises". Sheesh....the family counceling people would have a field day if that was our normal approach in other aspects of our society. There's also the famous "what's the difference between judo and jujutsu?" joke which also plays on stupid ideas of old arts being about pain and death while newer ones are about "happyfull life" to quote a Japanese T-shirt. Those would all come under the finger pointing at the moon problem IMHO when the treasure is the ki development wrt the body and martial arts.
Nice.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baseline skillset eyrie Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 1633 05-23-2008 02:35 PM
Women and Everybody Else in Aikido George S. Ledyard Teaching 113 03-16-2008 08:27 PM
For Ted Ehara - Boundary of your aikido? billybob General 123 12-18-2006 05:52 AM
Proposta organização do Aikido Portugal kimusubi0 Portuguese 0 05-03-2004 04:26 AM
Two things. Veers General 8 04-04-2003 02:54 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2018 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2018 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate