Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-01-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Hiroshi Kato, 8th dan in Houston, Tx

A Seminar with Shihan Hiroshi Kato, 8th dan, a member of the Aikikai Hombu Dojo for 50 years, will be held at the Shudokan School of Aikido in Houston, Texas at the Clay Road YMCA, 10655 Clay Road in Houston, Tx 77041. The dates will be from October 7 to October 14. In the spirit of Aikido friendship, we will not be charging seminar fees in hopes of making future friendships and building goodwill in the martial arts community in Texas and in the United States. Pre-registration is recommended. For more infomation, see our Seminar webpage at http://www.shudokanaikido.com/seminar/.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Hiroshi Kato, 8th dan in Houston, Tx

I've had the pleasure of attending a few seminars with Kato sensei. Quite recommended!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Thanks Jun,
It's been a great experience getting ready for this seminar. It will be our first since our dojo only started on January the 20th of this year. Up until the time of our planning meeting, I didn't feel that we had bonded yet but since then, I have seen big changes in the members as they are working together, helping each other, volunteering for various jobs and giving financial donations. I am especially proud of the fact that they have stepped up to the plate in our attempt to fund this seminar internally. I have continually shared with them about what kind of school we want to be and they have sacrificed to bring Kato sensei to South Texas to the Aikido community at no charge. There's lots of work to do and we have a long way to go yet.
Expecting the best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 09-01-2004, 10:22 PM   #4
Jerry Miller

United_States
Talking Re: Hiroshi Kato, 8th dan in Houston, Tx

Well Jorge,
Good luck on this Seminar. The price is right. Downright generous in fact. I will try to make it over. I do not think I have any plans. It would be good to meet you finally.

Jerry Miller
Old 09-01-2004, 11:20 PM   #5
Jorge Garcia

Quote:
Gerard Miller wrote:
Well Jorge,
Good luck on this Seminar. The price is right. Downright generous in fact. I will try to make it over. I do not think I have any plans. It would be good to meet you finally.
The idea for a Friendship Seminar started with one of our original members, Dr. Weldon Mauney who has had a vision of Aikido that promotes the highest ideals of the art that some people think are not attainable or worth while. Weldon was the first to encourage this and support it. The "price" also brings into play that people from other styles won't pay to learn what they aren't allowed to use in their style but they will attend to learn something new from a different style if it doesn't cost too much. This met our goals in that we want to breach the old barriers and make new friends.
By the way, be sure to preregister and let us know when you plan to attend so that we can keep our sponsors aware of the situation.
Best,

Old 09-24-2004, 04:13 AM   #6
Jorge Garcia
Re: Hiroshi Kato, 8th dan in Houston,Tx

The day is drawing close for our seminar. Shihan Kato will be in Houston next week resting and then will be on to a seminar south of us. He will return for our Houston seminar which begins on October the 7th. We have secured the use of a gymnasium so there is still plenty of room. So far, friends are coming from the Houston area and various parts of Texas. A few will be here from as far as Chicago and one from Hawaii. Some of these are folks who realize that the students who saw and trained with O Sensei are slipping away from us and don't want to miss this opportunity. There are also several of Kato sensei's students from Japan planning to make this trip so we are looking forward to extending our aiki friendship to them as well. If you are thinking of making this seminar, please preregister on the website and we will send you an information packet.
Best wishes,

Old 09-26-2004, 11:32 PM   #7
Jorge Garcia

For anyone in the Houston Area, Shihan Hiroshi Kato, 8th dan will be teaching our regular adult class on Tuesday, September the 28th at 7pm. He will be doing this a few weeks before our regular seminar as he happens to be resting here for a few days. Anyone interested is welcome to practice with us. We are at the Clay Road YMCA in Houston and you may check the map at www.ShudokanAikido.com Also, check out the seminar web page at http://www.shudokanaikido.com/seminar/
Best wishes always,