Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-13-2004, 07:53 AM   #1
Tom Hooper
Dojo: Smac
Freaky! Aikikai or Shodokan

I've only recently begun practicing in Aikido (about 4 months). And at the risk of sounding un-wise in the ways of aikido can anyone help me with a hole in my knowledge?

I've heard of the two styles in Aikido of Aikikai and Shodokan but what I'd like to know is what is the difference between the two styles i.e. technique.

From what I've heard shodokan tends to teach atemi to people whereas aikikai only teaches this as additional blows during a technique.

I would much appreciate a response to anybody who is willing to enlighten me!
Old 03-13-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
Kensai
Well, Ki is the best style. We all know that...... tee hee..

*hides*

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 03-13-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Aikikai or Shodokan

Quote:
Tom Hooper wrote:
I've heard of the two styles in Aikido of Aikikai and Shodokan but what I'd like to know is what is the difference between the two styles i.e. technique.
There're a lot more than two differences. Do a search of the site, even a Google search. You'll come up with Yoshinkan, Ki, Tomiki, Iwama, Korindo, Yoseikan, Mansekan, Daito ryu, and others.

There are also numerous threads on this.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 03-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #4
Doka
Aikikai and Shodokan?

Neither!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #5
ikkitosennomusha
This is a very personal preference. I suppose it is like shoping for a new fragrance for yourself because what you chose, you are going to be wearing.

I really should not give my preference until you have done research becuase I don't want to taint you in what I have to say. But like when I am at the cologne counter, I always ask a pretty lady for their opinioin so perhaps I will give you some brief advice to get you thinking. I don't prefer Tomiki-ryu and I don't prefer the "softer" styles. Hope this helps.

Brad Medling
Old 03-14-2004, 04:58 AM   #6
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Hi Tom,

As Don said, there have been quite a few threads about this, you might find some good info if you explore the search function right here.

There's a lot of info about Shodokan on the Shodokan Honbu website.

HTH

Sean

x
Old 03-14-2004, 10:25 AM   #7
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
If you go to the Shin Budo Kai website

www.shinbudokai.org there are 2 links just above the schedule of classes that discuss styles of Aikido.

Disclaimer - SBK is neither Aikikai nor Shodokan.

Within various styles, different teachers can be fairly different in their appraoch and teaching style. So don't put 'style' above what is taught at the dojos that are available to you. Consider it a general guide to what you might find with that particular branch of Aikido.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
ikkitosennomusha
I can tell you all that I mainly have been schooled in Tenshinkan Aikido. The only way to describe it is, that the training is severe in flavor.

Brad Medling
Old 03-14-2004, 02:26 PM   #9
Tom Hooper
Aikikai or shodokan?

Wow, thanks guys i never expected such a great reply especially due to my humble years (17)

So when we are talking bout differences in styles we are referring to the way the techniques are executed and the aggressiveness of them or do other factors come into it?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-14-2004, 02:56 PM   #10
Tom Hooper
I'm also a little worried that i don't know what style my dojo practices in!
Old 03-14-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
Doka
Talk to your teacher. Ask questions. He/She will be happy to tell you all about your school.

Read and read and read, but realise that it will not help your technique, but it will tell you about the art, and that will give you perspective which may help your technique.

As a very wise teacher once told me - practice, practice, practice!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 02:53 AM   #12
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
Tom,

The best way to learn about a style is to go and do it. Try to find an Aikikai and a Shodokan dojo around where you are and pay them a visit. Of course, it is possible that that particular dojo is not a good example of the style but in most cases it will be.

Then pick the one where you feel most comfortable. I would not advice doing both at the same time as you'll get really confused. I am now cross training in Aikikai since I got my shodan (does that make me a kyuless shodan?) and I find it sometimes confusing.

If you are in the UK, let me know and I can point you out to some good Shodokan and Aikikai dojo.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-15-2004, 03:10 AM   #13
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I think Tom is already practicing and unless he is unhappy with the training he should stay put. It sounded as is he was just asking for informations sake.

I found the Introduction section on AikidoFAQ to be quite good for its listing of the various styles considering the limited amount of space it uses.

Tom
Its always a mistake to pigeon hole styles because invariably you're wrong enough to annoy someone that actually does that style. Once you get a solid grounding under one teacher there is nothing better to spice up your travels than dropping into dojos as far removed from what you do as possible.

My favorite dojo to visit in Greece consider themselves Ki society. They move very well. My Shihan is fond of saying there is no style of Aikido beyond the individual (I'm paraphrasing).

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-15-2004, 05:07 AM   #14
Tom Hooper
Aikikai or shodokan?

I've been researching this quite extensively and apparently i know more than i thought i knew about these subjects!

I have read books by Gozo shioda and his son and recently found out through the help of you guys that he founded the Yoshinkan style. I am already practicing in Aikido although i had no idea about the depth that was involved in these "styles" for a better word.

So i will make sure to find out from my sensei the style i practice in!

I figure i don't practice in Yoshinkan as some of the techniques are performed very differently to how i learned them.

Wow what a fun game guess the aikido style?

Tom