Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Tested.. passed... on to the next one.

Took my 6th kyu test last night. Thanks to all of the threads on here about testing and what its all about and how to prepare and what to do if you have a "moment" I felt pretty well prepared.

Got a little hung up early on but at least I kept moving until I figured out what to do. All of my Ukes were terrific and I actually almost had fun in spite of my nerves. Its only the first with many more and bigger to come, but I have to say its quite some feeling to have accomplished this much. Especially considering that when I first started out I really had no thoughts of testing in mind.

Now to start studying 5th kyu techniques.. no time like the present to begin preparing right?

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their experiences and insight. Its really been helpful for this beginner.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Tested.. passed... on to the next one.

Congratulations, Cherie. Now, get back to training.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Shadowfax

United_States

Thank you...
Already did.
Second class followed testing.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
MattMiddleton

Dojo: MUN Aikido
Canada

Congratulations!!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Congrats! I am getting more and more anxious about the test I have coming up. Yuck... after 20 years of school I thought I was done with tests......

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

Good for you. Remember---Aikido is our banquet. Eat what you want but never get full. Stay hungry and you'll go far!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Shadowfax

United_States

Mathew-Thank you

Ashley- You know I had some major anxiety over it last week then I got over that. Lots of support in my dojo to help me. Remember you would not be testing if you were not ready. That's how it works. In spite of the nerves I'm glad to have tested. it showed me what I can do when the heat is on.

Phil-..... I'M STARVING!!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Cynrod
United_States

Cherie, congratulations on the 6th kyu test. Have fun and take care with your journey.

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
Darryl Cowens
New Zealand

Congrats...
Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

You did great, Cherie. Ready for Thursday's class?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Yay Cherie! Congratulations. I know you worked hard preparing. On to 5th kyu.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 10-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #12
Shadowfax

United_States

LOL Greg I am always ready for the next class. Tonight's is no exception.

Linda-worked hard yeah. To the point of obsession at times. Those techniques were running through my head every waking moment and a lot of the non waking ones too. I think my friends might be getting a little bit tired of hearing about Aikido. Managed to get one to come visit the dojo and see my test. Now she wants to try it too. She just thought Kotegaeshi was way too cool.

Her little girl (5 years old) was intrigued and talked all the way home about how I "beat up" all those people. hmmm future aikidokka?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #13
Linda Eskin

United_States

LOL That's why we have AikiWeb (thank you, Jun!), so we can obsess amongst ourselves.

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 10-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

No, no, no, no!!! Don't go on to the next test. Go back and review the test you just past. Now that the pressure is off, really evaluate the techniques just past. Did you do them right? Did you mess up on one during the test? How can you improve them? Etc.... Don't be in such a rush to move forward. Move back for a while before you start to move forward. This is one of the biggest problems that people have in learning this art. Always in such a hurry to get to the next rank.
Congrats on passing though!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
No, no, no, no!!! Don't go on to the next test. Go back and review the test you just past. Now that the pressure is off, really evaluate the techniques just past. Did you do them right? Did you mess up on one during the test? How can you improve them? Etc.... Don't be in such a rush to move forward. Move back for a while before you start to move forward. This is one of the biggest problems that people have in learning this art. Always in such a hurry to get to the next rank.
Congrats Cherie, I have done parts of my test techniques over for 5th kyu and have greatly inproved them so I agree with Mike but train for your 5th kyu because before you know it your next
Old 10-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Linda Eskin

United_States

Quote:
No, no, no, no!!! Don't go on to the next test. Go back and review the test you just past. Now that the pressure is off, really evaluate the techniques just past. Did you do them right? Did you mess up on one during the test? How can you improve them? Etc....
That's a really good point Mike. I have my whole 6th kyu test on video, and it's really helpful to review it and remind myself of what I need to work on. Every time I watch it I see some other little (or not so little) thing.

And I'm working toward my 5th kyu test.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
Shadowfax

United_States

Quote:
Good advice thank you. Of course I am reviewing over and over in my mind all the parts of the test and how I could improve on them. In fact right after testing we went into second class and worked on things that sensei saw we needed to improve on. Of course I will continue to work to improve on the techniques form this test. LOL a lot of them are actually on 5th kyu but with a different attack. And I know my teachers will have me working to continue to improve on them as well.

I promise you I am in no hurry to get to the next rank. This is a lifetime study for me there is no rush to get to a destination that, for me, really does not exist.

Boy though I'm still pretty beat mentally and physically. Tonight's class I just really had trouble really focusing on much of anything. I was at such high intensity for a while I think I just need to relax and train for the fun of it and not be looking towards a goal again, for a little while anyway.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
MattMiddleton

Dojo: MUN Aikido
Canada

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Boy though I'm still pretty beat mentally and physically. Tonight's class I just really had trouble really focusing on much of anything. I was at such high intensity for a while I think I just need to relax and train for the fun of it and not be looking towards a goal again, for a little while anyway.
I felt the same way after my 6th Kyu test, but after a few weeks I decided that preparing for a test was a good way to keep myself on track to training hard, so I've set myself an Ambitious Test Date (If I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll go for it), and a Realistic Test Date (or at least, realistic in my mind).
Old 10-31-2009, 06:27 AM   #19
Shadowfax

United_States

I doubt I'll wait a few weeks to start looking over 5th kyu techniques. More than LIkely I'll begin paying attention to them within the next couple of days. I have in mind an approximate time frame for the next test to occur but I also am not setting any hard and fast goals in that regard. My teachers will tell me when they feel I'm ready. I'm kind of glad that our dojo does not set test dates far in advance. This way I won't find myself rushing the process.

I do not want to get myself caught up in the drive to test and advance to the point that I miss the entire purpose of my practicing aikido in the first place. That being to learn more about and to improve myself in ways that really can't be measured and classified by mere rank.

Ive had quite a lot of self discovery this year. Aikido has been a part of it. A lot of good has come out of it so far for my personal growth and well being. But this is only the beginning.

For me aikido is not going to just be something I do as an eccentric hobby. It is intended to become part of a way of life.

Looking back I guess the title of this thread is a bit misleading. Its not about rushing to advance so much as it is about looking ahead and anticipating the next phase of this amazing journey.

Last edited by Shadowfax : 10-31-2009 at 06:30 AM.