Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How inspired do you feel these days in your aikido training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of March 26, 2006:

How inspired do you feel these days in your aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Extremely inspired
  • Very inspired
  • Somewhat inspired
  • Not very inspired
  • Not at all inspired
Here are the current results.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Poll: How inspired do you feel these days in your aikido training?

The further dwon the path I go, the more inspired I feel.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Very inspired. Time to let go of old wounds and let myself out. Good times.

dave
Old 03-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

I'm echoing Lynn's answer.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 03-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I am very inspired because the increase in violence, with fight clubs appearing, poetry "slams", "power yoga", competitions arise bursting at the seams! All to no avail of course, so I am inspired that the arts of peace will gain new strength and prevail as future education.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
Jerry Miller

United_States

I voted not very, but my reply is tainted by my absence from the mat (knee surgery). I am close to being back. I probably could force it but I have done that before and think in the long run I will be better served by making certain of the healing. Once I am back on the mat the inspiration level will change.

Jerry Miller
Old 03-28-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
The further dwon the path I go, the more inspired I feel.
Cool. And here I was thinking, "Of course I'm extremely inspired; I'm only 2nd kyu!"

Now I'm even more inspired. Thanks!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 03-28-2006, 07:35 AM   #8
billybob

United_States

G. Miller said
Quote:
my reply is tainted by my absence from the mat (knee surgery).
You sound plenty inspired to me - because you are coming back.

dave
Old 03-28-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo

For the past year and a half, I've been really inspired since I was preparing for my shodan exam. My exam was a bit more than 3 weeks ago. Since that time, if you can believe it, I am even more inspired (especially after seeing the video tape and seeing the countless flaws.)

Many people say shodan is about the time that a lot of people leave a martial art, as if they had achieved some lofty goal. It's an important milestone, but I hope it's just the beginning for me.

I've been lucky enough to be uke for some great aikidoists. Some break balance and throw so effortlessly, that it's like somehow being thrown by a puff of smoke. These folks have 20+ years in aikido. I want my aikido to be like that, and I realize the only way to do it is to keep training. [My short-term goal is to suck a little less with each practice session. ]

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 03-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

I answered "very inspired". I was "extremely inspired" during my very first class when a twelve year old girl tossed my on my butt like it wasn't no thang! I've been an aikidoka for almost eight years. I find myself smiling when a new student is all about strength and clenched fists; that's just what I was like on my first day. I love the look on a person's face when they get the hang of something new! Passing on the stuff that my sensei has given me has been a very rewarding experience.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
billybob

United_States

Junior said
Quote:
I was "extremely inspired" during my very first class when a twelve year old girl tossed my on my butt like it wasn't no thang!
Whew! I got to tell you bubba - what a relief it is hearin somebody what can talk proper! I hear all kinda axcents on this web thingy, and not a whole lotta gitterdone. I feel like I can espresso mahself in a proper way when i talk to you.

I still don't get "tank on". - sounds like a fishin thang.

"Yoko men hoochee" - not even gonna try.

"muni ski koragash" - can't figger if it's junk bonds or junk food.

But I certainly am aspired to continyew my trainin. Later man. "Double oregano getsmushytooya".

dave
Old 03-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #12
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai

Is it alright to be uninspired ? Darn right it is. I've been working hard for a period of time till I tested about three weeks ago. Now that it's over it's OK to rest, to recover and be uninspired. Is it OK to be uninspired at other times; yes it s OK, it's real. Even with a passion there can be times of plateau, if not regression before one goes to a building phases again.
Life follows those ups and downs and realizing and accepting them as part of the process allows one to continue for the long term.
Following testing, or during a long period of training (in sport training planning when one takes a break during a long training cycle, even if it might not be needed physically, it's called a prophylactic break), or when the motivation might lag, is the perfect time for doing things that you have put off while in the flings of the rapture. "Separation makes the heart grow fonder."
Some days it might be like 9 to 5 until you make that breakthrough again, which doesn't mean you don't go to practice, but rather accept that what you do on a certain day is contributing to the total sum of your experience/art.
Do I feel inspired today! Darn right it's a beautiful sunny day. My kids are on spring break, the dog needs a run and I'm off to the mountains for a couple of days and won't get on the mat for at least five days.
As my old swim coach once told me " A change is as good as a rest, now lets do back stroke to recover from the freestyle."
Old 03-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #13
MM
United_States

Each training day brings an opportunity to glimpse that which is before me; tempting me, guiding me along a path newly discovered and full of wonders. I'm standing at the beginning of a path through the forest and staring at an Azalea flower and thinking how beautiful it is; then looking up to see that the path ahead is full of Nature's finest creations, all abloom. And knowing that in time, I'll be amidst it. I also understand that this is just one of many paths that I've taken. That there is no end; my path through is my Life and the Forest my playground.

Mark