Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-01-2000, 01:05 AM   #1
crystalwizard
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas
had something happen to me tonight that after it happened I realized was directly a result of aikido training. I opened a door. Ok let me explaine here.

I was leaving the local 7-11 and the door, which was a push, was stuck. I started to strong arm it, something went click, I vaguely mentaly heard the word no and changed my movement, using my whole body (center leading even) to open the door. Ok no big thing but I found it rather startling. I mean, we dont exactly train to blend with doors.

So i got to wondering...who else has done something or had something happen to them that in thinking back their reactions were based on aikido, that had nothing to do with being attacked or maybe even involved another person?

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror
Old 12-01-2000, 02:06 AM   #2
SeiWhat?!?
Dojo: Long Beach State Univ. Seidokan Aikido Club
Talking

Similar experience here.
There was a stubborn sliding door in the lunch room where I used to work. Well, I was asked to close it one cold day, and found myself overextended, a nice 45 degree angle, trying to muscle the thing across its' track. I stopped, stood upright like a normal human being, and like you, pushed from my center, and closed the door without any further drama.

Feeling smug about remembering what I was taught about keeping my "one point", I proceeded to humble myself by tripping over a chair leg on my way back to the table.

Best advise I've ever received:
"Don't just stand there, do SOMETHING! The fact that you may have failed doesn't matter, it's HOW you failed. Go down swingin'."

Scott Tanaka
Old 12-01-2000, 09:20 AM   #3
Zach Hudson
Dojo: Siskiyou Aikikai and Aikido Habatakukai
Everyday Aikido

I haven't had any experiences with doors, but Aikido has proved very valuable when falling down. When running down stairs or riding a motor scooter (both of which my mother told me not to do) I have used ukemi to fall and remain uninjured.

Zach
Old 12-01-2000, 01:38 PM   #4
jxa127
I've found that I tend to pick up things I've either knocked over or dropped before they hit the ground. My sensei has noticed the same thing about himself. His opinion is that we tend to notice movement ealier and are better aware of how to move to intercept the falling object.

*shrug*

Sounds good to me.

-Drew A.
Old 12-01-2000, 01:49 PM   #5
BC
Quote:
jxa127 wrote:
I've found that I tend to pick up things I've either knocked over or dropped before they hit the ground. My sensei has noticed the same thing about himself. His opinion is that we tend to notice movement ealier and are better aware of how to move to intercept the falling object.

*shrug*

Sounds good to me.

-Drew A.
I remember when I first started to experience that years ago. Now I like to attribute it to improved mind-body coordination. However, when I miss, I usually attribute it to the fact that I'm a clumsy moron, or, if there are witnesses, I just say "I MEANT to do that!".

One of my favorite kinds of experiences like these, which I like to relive relatively frequently, is when my right elbow had some tendinitis (yes from aikido). I was trying to lift a nice, big, full, heavy mug of beer to my thirsty lips and my elbow started to hurt. I realized that I was trying to lift with my elbow sticking out to the side. So then I just brought my elbow in as in ikkyo movement, and that nice cold glass went right up to my mouth with no pain! Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Robert Cronin
Old 12-02-2000, 09:33 AM   #6
DiNalt
Cool

I find myself using the initial turn of shihonage when opening sliding doors in stores.

Of course, my shihonage sucks, but its still better than using an arm at an odd angle

Aleksey, a really slow 11-month'er.
Old 12-02-2000, 09:41 AM   #7
Mike Cummins
Dojo: Colmers Farm
When I was training for 1st Kyu I got into a lot of trouble at work.

We had swipe cards to open the computer room door. 9 times out of 10 they worked fine, 1 time out of 10 you had to reswipe. As the door was big and heavy, I got into the habit of dropping my centre and moving *through* the door - very Irimi.

I went through 4 locks in about as many weeks.

My excuse was that if a 9 stone weakling like me could accidently break the lock what would happen if someone seriously wanted to get into the computer room.

Mike
Old 12-02-2000, 11:22 AM   #8
Paul
Scotland
A nice anecdote

A wonderful aikido instructor from Belgium, Anita Bonavert(?), often comes to St-Andrews in Scotland to teach. After one particular seminar had ended everyone went out to a restaurent and half way throught the evening Anita got up to go to the bathroom, she went to a door that she thought was the bathroom opened it and found that it wasn't so she closed it and went to the correct door. At this point we all noticed that the manager kept looking at the first door then to where Anita had went and back again to the door. This carried on all evening until at the end of the evening when we were paying the bill, he came over to ask who Anita was and how was it that she was able to open a door that had been jammed shut since he took over the place which no-one had ever been able to open since he could remember.

Oh yeah Anita is under five foot.

Regards Paul Finn
Edinburgh
Old 12-03-2000, 05:21 PM   #9
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Talking Opening Doors

Quote:
crystalwizard wrote:
had something happen to me tonight that after it happened I realized was directly a result of aikido training. I opened a door. Ok let me explaine here.

I was leaving the local 7-11 and the door, which was a push, was stuck. I started to strong arm it, something went click, I vaguely mentaly heard the word no and changed my movement, using my whole body (center leading even) to open the door. Ok no big thing but I found it rather startling. I mean, we dont exactly train to blend with doors.

So i got to wondering...who else has done something or had something happen to them that in thinking back their reactions were based on aikido, that had nothing to do with being attacked or maybe even involved another person?

My instructor is fond of mentioning a simular incident of opening a door. A student of his was trying to get out of school (Aren't we all?) and couldn't open a door that had a panic bar across it. Those are the doors that have that rod-like device that you have to push to open the door.

After several frustrating attempts at "pushing" the door open, he decided to try using his whole body and did rowing exercise, which suceeded in opening the door.

Unfortunately, he discovered that the door was stuck because it was locked and he had just broken it by "opening" it. He quickly fled the scene of his crime.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You