Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #26
gi_grrl
Dojo: Institute of Aikido Australia
Australia
Re: funny grading moments

During my sandan grading I was performing irimi nage on a 2nd kyu uke who wasn't moving fast enough into ukemi, so I shifted my top hand from her face to the side... and caught my little finger in the collar of her gi as I went through. I dislocated and fractured my finger - but I still laugh every time I thnk of the way I turned - still moving very quickly - to my Sensei, holding up my hand with finger pointing in the wrong direction, and saying "ow, ow ow!!".

Mind you, Sensei popped my joint back in, taped it up, and I graded for another hour...
Old 01-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #27
Princess Rose

Dojo: Aikido of Northern CO
United_States

Ok so this is so cute

Two of my friends tested today (both passed yay). One tested for shodan and the other for sankyu. What is cute is that they are married. They were the only people testing, so it was like a family test. And in our dojo it is customary to pass down the colored belts. So the wife, who tested for sankyu, received her husband's old blue belt. It was so darn cute. Makes me rethink my whole plan of being the single crazy cat lady when I grow up… Not.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 AM   #28
Amanda
Dojo: Exeter Ki Aikido
United Kingdom

I graded on Saturday (3rd kyu) and apparently i almost threw my partner into a wall ... I didn't see as I was looking forwards and not at her but apparently she rolled and then came out of the roll with enough forward momentum to do another roll only there was a wall in the way. I turned round at that point and saw her stumble but I thought she'd caught her foot on the edge of the mat...
Sensei apparently commented to my Sensei that 'there was a lot of ki in that throw'
Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #29
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Amanda Lindsay wrote: View Post
Sensei apparently commented to my Sensei that 'there was a lot of ki in that throw'
I'm not sure why, but this puts me in mind of a "testing" situation when I was teaching kids in Stockton. I was kind of an assistant instructor and the chief instructor was going through and evaluating the kids on randori in preparation for a promotion coming up.

One young lady was taking people down with, um, conviction. A considerable amount of conviction. I was about to tell her to ease up, when the other teacher jumped in with "You are not a wookie. Leave their arms in their sockets."

To this day I still call her The Wookie when I see her. Even her dad jumped on that one.

Wookies got ki. Who knew.