Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Australia
First class as a teacher

Hi everyone,

This morning I had the pleasure of watching a good friend take his first weapons class. Would anyone like to share any impressions or learning experiences from the first class that youd taught?

Thanks,
Sel

The world changes when you do.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: First class as a teacher

It is been a few years since I first taught class. It was out of necessity: our teacher had stopped and we just wanted to continue, so we did. A friend of my and me took turns in teaching, but never thought much of it. Years later I was asked to teach in France for a group of 50 students on a seminar of my current teacher. That was great and tough. First there was the language barrier and next teach to my teacher's students? WOW. And it went well: They had fun and so did I. Not much later it proved it was a test! A few months later I started my own dojo. The first few lessons were pretty hard: I tried to almost cramp in all my knowledge in one hour. That did not work...

The thing that impressed me most was the respect you get when you take your position in front of the group.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 10-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Wow, too many. Prior to the class nerves that I hadn't felt before mixed with a feeling of entering an unknown place.

On entering the first class it was definitely for me a new experience. Like I had walked through a door into a desired yet brand new space. There I was, a teacher, yet thoroughly aware that in this new space I was a brand new student.

For an amazing experience.

Regards.G.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
dapidmini
Dojo: Surabaya Aikido Dojo
Indonesia

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
The first few lessons were pretty hard: I tried to almost cramp in all my knowledge in one hour. That did not work...

The thing that impressed me most was the respect you get when you take your position in front of the group.
couldn't agree more about those two points. when I first asked to teach the class, I didn't know what technique I should give them. later on I figured that since my Sensei just loves teaching henkei waza, I'll just teach the basic things.. it turned out okay, though some - if not all - of them are soon bored with basic repetitions..
Old 10-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
Tim Ruijs

Netherlands

I have learned that students want to do different things, the teacher wants them to do the same thing. So you have to trick them. Have them work on ma ai for instance and find techniques that are more sensitive to correct ma ai. They think to do many different technques, but in fact they work on the same aspect: ma ai. Both parties happy!

In a real fight:
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
graham christian
England

Another interesting couplle of things I found. First was the shock on some faces when they ask a question and the the answer I give is a straight 'I don't know.' Usually followed by 'Let's see.'

Whenever someone asks 'what would you do if ?' I always answer 'I don't know'

On the other side of the coin so to speak how many times have you been put in a situation as a teacher and automatically come up with the solution. Only to look back later and wonder how comes you knew that.

It's as if we don't validate sometimes how much we do know. Maybe it's because we're too focused on what else we want to learn.

Regards.G.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
LinTal
Australia

I must admit that one of the most valuable parts of my learning journey is just that. Seeing my Sensei's Sensei's come and teach a seminar and being injured enough to sit back and watch the black belts learn have been incredibly profound experiences for me.

And, equally, watching someone's training change as their confidence and experience grows right through from the starting mark into the higher belts.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
LinTal
Australia

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
I have learned that students want to do different things, the teacher wants them to do the same thing. So you have to trick them. Have them work on ma ai for instance and find techniques that are more sensitive to correct ma ai. They think to do many different technques, but in fact they work on the same aspect: ma ai. Both parties happy!
We did that tonight! Through a couple variations of the same technique for the whole class. Always swapped partners though, so learned drastically different things from each one.

Have you found that teaching styles change slot over time?

Thanks to everyone who wrote, by the way, it's so wonderful to hear your different perspectives.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Tim Ruijs

Netherlands

Quote:
Selin Talay wrote: View Post
Have you found that teaching styles change slot over time?
Yes. Teaching is simply another side of the same hand. One side represents learning Aikido yourself, the other is help others evolve. Both sides require attention, practise and training. Much like your technique evolves, so will your teaching style. After a while you find what works and what does not. Also it has a very personal touch. As a teacher you look with your eyes to the group and decide what to do next. Another teacher most likely sees different things. Let alone either approach to working on the perceived problem.

Next realise that your group also changes: students that stayed with you for a while, will have progressed and the new ones have others problems than the 'original' group. Group dynamics is dynamic. But it is fun and very rewarding

In a real fight:
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

My first experience teaching was as a blue belt. I started a children's class. I had 10 kids including 2 of my own. I taught kids for 15 years.
Teaching is another aspect of training. Ron always says to me "teach what I know." Now I can teach what I want to explore.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
Tim Ruijs

Netherlands

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
Teaching is another aspect of training. Ron always says to me "teach what I know." Now I can teach what I want to explore.
I believe this is the single most important reason to start teaching. You direct your own exploration, rather than follow the one of someone else....

In a real fight:
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
Kevin Morrison
Dojo: National Aikido Training Centre, Macken Street
Ireland

I was 6th or 5th kyu leading training in the University club on the night of the week that the instructor couldn't make it. I'd just try to repeat what we did in the other session when the instructor was there, but it forced me to pay close attention to what he did.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
graham christian
England

Quote:
Kevin Morrison wrote: View Post
I was 6th or 5th kyu leading training in the University club on the night of the week that the instructor couldn't make it. I'd just try to repeat what we did in the other session when the instructor was there, but it forced me to pay close attention to what he did.
Hi Kevin.
What you said there triggered off a memory I had forgotten. At first I was teaching very much the same as my teacher, well as much as I could anyway, which led me to a strange place. I found in the end I was more trying to be him than be myself. Another valuable lesson learned.

Regards.G.