Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-09-2000, 05:51 PM   #1
Nick
United_States
to you, what is the meaning of death?

-Nick
Old 11-09-2000, 10:42 PM   #2
jedd
Quote:
Nick wrote:
to you, what is the meaning of death?

-Nick
death...a completion of a natural cycle...our biology, however, tells us to stay alive....quite a paradox eh?
Old 11-10-2000, 08:12 AM   #3
Russ
Dojo: Pacific Aikido Kensankai
No offence to you Nick, but I gotta ask why you're fixated with the concept of death?

Russ
Old 11-10-2000, 01:53 PM   #4
Nick
United_States
well, for one, I was in a depressed/philosophical (bad grades, almost got in 3 fights, etc) mood last night, and so I guess that would explain that. Also, the concept of death fascinates me since human beings are the only creatures on Earth that know that one day they will die, and so few people ever do think about it, thinking "oh, it'll never happen to me" when they hear about a plane crash or drive-by shooting. As this is a martial arts forum I thought that perhaps this would be one of the best places to ask, since isn't budo really about life and death?

-Nick
Old 11-10-2000, 05:01 PM   #5
Moth
Dojo: Träningstudion
Ai symbol well...

Death is a state of life that should neither be feared nor sought. It is the beginning of peace and end of chaos.

-Gabriel

-Gabriel

What Moth doth say Moth will do...
Act fast and without fear.
Old 11-10-2000, 11:33 PM   #6
Russ
That certainly explains alot Nick. Glad you didn't get into those fights otherwise you might be dead.

Death..., what is that,eh? No one knows..., everyone will find out. Whether by drive-by, plane crash, perhaps more satisfyingly by old age we will all get there...., as you well know.

I forget the authors name, he wrote "Bhuddism, Plain and Simple". Sitting at his terminally ill friends bedside, seeing that his friend harboured alot of fear about dying, he said "Don't worry, death is thus." His friend died peacefully that night. Perhaps he meant death is no different in reality than living. Maybe to be here, now is to know death as fully as you ever will.

I don't know.

Russ
Old 11-11-2000, 08:48 AM   #7
Brian
Do symbol Meaning of Death

Death is the shifting of your conciousness of being from this physical plane to a metaphysical one.

In other words, transfer of the soul from the world as we know it to heaven/nirvana, purgatory, hell/gehenna, and, depending on your religious beliefs, a variety of other names for the possible destination points.

Since, whether we like it or not, everyone dies, it is just as natural birth. Birth brings our conciousness into this world, and death takes our conciousness out. The meaning of death is simply to end this journey we call life, the 'train we board' to take us to the next stage of existence, I suppose. It is simply a matter of when and how.
Old 11-11-2000, 12:09 PM   #8
Nick
United_States
Quote:
Russ wrote:
That certainly explains alot Nick. Glad you didn't get into those fights otherwise you might be dead.

Russ
Exactly, which is what got me thinking on this rather morbid train of thought. However, might I ask what is implied by your comment?

-Nick

[Edited by Nick on November 11, 2000 at 12:16pm]
Old 11-11-2000, 12:42 PM   #9
Russ
No implications Nick, other than perhaps the implications of fighting. We talk alot on the internet but few of us, I think, realize the deadly potential of physical confrontation. (Another worn out thread that one.)
Suffice it to say it's good that you didn't end up in a fight.

Talk to you later,

Russ
Old 11-11-2000, 08:38 PM   #10
Nick
United_States
I realized it as best I could, and though I realized I could probably win (if there is in fact, a true winner in any fight), but realized it just wasn't worth it.

Thanks for clearing that up,

Nick
Old 11-13-2000, 06:00 AM   #11
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I've got to support Nick's morbid fascination. Both in christianity and in Buddhism there is this concept of not being able to live properly until you have died. Sounds odd, but I think what they're getting at is something like this...

there was a man who was good at rowing and a man who was good at swimming, about to cross this particularly hazardous part of the Yangtze. The rower got partway across and became too scared by the currents, he became agitated and the boat turned over.

The man who could swim went this way and that across the river, the boat carried by the currents, but at no time did he become agitated and he eventually reached the other side.

[I think Chuang Tzu wrote this, though I'm sure I have altered it many respects].