Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-04-2000, 11:24 AM   #26
Erik
Quote:
Keith wrote:
Yes, it does, but I think that's why it's important to keep it there. It brings up something in you and shows that it needs to be worked on. Leave it out and you leave out a tool for overcoming yourself.
I can buy into this actually, but is it a requirement? In my own experience this is a valid point and were that componenent not there I'd have missed much but is it necessary for everyone? Then again not everyone practices Aikido do they.

Personally, I believe Aikido cannot be only spiritual, nor can much of anything else, because the seperation of mind, body, and spirit is an illusion.

I'm personally not advocating a separation of the 3 rather my point was that perhaps the martial component gets in the way of things, possibly limiting a component of personal expression and growth.
Old 07-04-2000, 11:25 AM   #27
Erik
Quote:
Keith wrote:
Yes, it does, but I think that's why it's important to keep it there. It brings up something in you and shows that it needs to be worked on. Leave it out and you leave out a tool for overcoming yourself.
I can buy into this actually, but is it a requirement? In my own experience this is a valid point and were that componenent not there I'd have missed much but is it necessary for everyone? Then again not everyone practices Aikido do they.

Quote:
Personally, I believe Aikido cannot be only spiritual, nor can much of anything else, because the seperation of mind, body, and spirit is an illusion.
I'm personally not advocating a separation of the 3 rather my point was that perhaps the martial component gets in the way of things, possibly limiting a component of personal expression and growth.
Old 07-04-2000, 11:50 AM   #28
Erik
Quote:
AikiTom wrote:
The more you see, the better you should understand.
As many have said, some in this forum, in Aikido there is really only one technique - the more you see, watch, and bounce it around in your head, the more likely you are to understand the statement. And, then in the future sometime, you will actually view it as when in a jiyu waza series, you do a technique that feels exactly as an aikido technique should, and you suddenly realize, it's nothing you have a name for, or have done before. It was that one technique, one time, in one moment.
I actually think this is a beautiful post and the only part I disagree with is the better you should understand part. Sorry, but it only gets less clear as time goes on. Maybe one too many high falls?

Anyway a beautiful description of what I've felt semi-regularly on the basketball court and more rarely on the mat.
Old 07-05-2000, 05:00 PM   #29
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Smile

Quote:
Erik wrote:
Quote:
AikiTom wrote:
The more you see, the better you should understand.
As many have said, some in this forum, in Aikido there is really only one technique - the more you see, watch, and bounce it around in your head, the more likely you are to understand the statement. And, then in the future sometime, you will actually view it as when in a jiyu waza series, you do a technique that feels exactly as an aikido technique should, and you suddenly realize, it's nothing you have a name for, or have done before. It was that one technique, one time, in one moment.
I actually think this is a beautiful post and the only part I disagree with is the better you should understand part. Sorry, but it only gets less clear as time goes on. Maybe one too many high falls?
Not at all (too many high falls!). Aikido is wonderful in that there are so many (an infinity perhaps?) of levels to every single technique. Each one viewed from a higher level of experience has so much more to teach that you can never fully 'understand' things.. Granted a 6th Dan not understanding Ikkyo is substantially different from a rank beginner not understanding. (At least so I would imagine ) - but as a percentage towards complete understanding there might not be as much between them..??
My 2p
Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall
Old 07-05-2000, 05:33 PM   #30
akiy

I'd say that a 6th dan has more questions regarding a technique or principle than does a 6th kyu. For every question that gets "answered," two more appear.

Perhaps as we progress, we begin to "know" more and "understand" less?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-06-2000, 11:19 PM   #31
Nick
United_States
First off, this post has gotten much bigger than I had thought...

Secondly, the above posts are correct in saying that mind, body, and spirit cannot be separated. However, it was either O-sensei or Tohei-sensei (or both) that said "To unify mind and body and become one with the universe is the ultimate purpose of my study." So, why bother to try separating mind and body, when we could instead unify them?

-Nick
Old 07-06-2000, 11:28 PM   #32
Erik
Quote:
Nick wrote:
First off, this post has gotten much bigger than I had thought...

-Nick
Which is why we must help Jun unify the spirit of the computer, the mind of a coder and the body of a man into getting these things to nest.
Old 07-07-2000, 05:59 AM   #33
Pete
"Pete"
IP Hash: 22791998
Dojo: Shinwakai Aikibudo
Anonymous User
Nick said :

So, why bother to try separating mind and body, when we could instead unify them?
-----------------

The mind and the body are 'one' naturally aren't they? For without the mind the body would surely die!

Pete
Old 07-09-2000, 07:44 PM   #34
Nick
United_States
Exactly. Without the mind the body would surely die, and without the body the mind would surely die. What happens to the spirit afterwards depends on your faith, and I don't want to start a religion debate, so I will stop there.

-Nick