Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #51
Janet Rosen

Re: My gi makes me look fat.

Quote:
Victoria Pitt wrote: View Post
Please keep in mind that I've been training for a little under a year and due to travel/injury had to miss out on some classes. I don't want anyone here to think when I am describing something that I am describing it correctly or well....
No worries, I don't think you are presenting or mis-representing your dojo or your training or anything. Your posts, AFAIK, are all well within bounds of netiquette, etc.

Re dropping jo; I once dropped my jo, bouncing it so hard off the front of my foreleg that over the next 3 days the internal bleeding spread throughout the compartment and I had a bruise from below my kneecap to just above my ankle. OUCH!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #52
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Again, tangential but when you see me again, between practices, can you show me that move we were doing on Monday again? The one where you drop to the knee and reach over both arms because it really isn't making sense in my brain. It seems too complicated to be effective or come naturally. I know I must be missing something.

Thanks! =)
you bet. any time. AFTER testing of course :P

Quote:
ninjacutie wrote: View Post
Victoria, we do that exact same exercise since it is one of the basic responses to tsuki. I guess our dojos have a lot in common, but you are aikikai too aren't you?
both birankai dojo... bluhm sensei was at the shinjjinkai last year i think.

linda, janet et al kudos for making this thread even more lively!!!

practice hard
Old 11-28-2009, 02:05 AM   #53
Walter Martindale
Canada

[quote=Victoria Pitt;246528] When the yudansha do it, they go for it, breakfalls and all that fancy matrix stuff. I'm just a no rank still. I consider a good day if I haven't:

Dropped the jo
Whapped myself in the face with it (or the shin)
Accidentally thrown it at another person.
Threw the jo at the shomen.
Tripped on it.

So we K.I.S.S. for me for now

(though I have a feeling that my days of getting away with sucking super bad are just about over since it was observed that I can in fact take a roll at full speed now as that my back seems to have healed up. I was hoping to still keep that a secret. =/ LOL )

oops, I deleted the end quote...

Well, I've had my jo bounce across a dojo and nearly hit the shihan leading the exercises... He laughed...
We do some kata slowly, and when someone is intended to move slowly or stay there to be sure that the strike would hit, we don't actually hit. Stop JUST before contact. However, when we're practicing jo tori or anything like that, and it's not the first try (or it's a grading or something), we don't really want to be there because the instruction for uke is to hit. If someone's actually trying to hit me, I believe that they're trying not to hit the skin on the surface of my tummy, they're trying to hit my spine, through the front.
I did my nidan grading last week. During "jo tori" I put the jo down too close to uke, he picked it up and had a go at me while I was still getting some maai: fortunately I did get out of the way because he nearly hit the guy a metre behind me (and then I managed to bop him on the head, so when I said "sorry" under my breath he said "I got what I deserved."...)
Hard work but fun - if someone's trying to hit you, don't be there when the hit arrives.
Walter
Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #54
Victoria Pitt
Dojo: Shinjinkai, Chicago, IL
United_States

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
you bet. any time. AFTER testing of course :P
See! Proof that people think I am so pea-brained when it comes to Aikido that he won't even show me the technique again until after my test for fear that some of the other Aikido stuff will fall out of my brain!

Test is in two weeks Jerry. I did not ask to test but I guess it was assumed. Are you coming to watch my pants fall down and me trip over my bokken and then just stand there in front of all those people like a deer in headlights? Free food and a comedy show, surely you're coming to that!

If it means anything, for some reason I know some of the stuff on the 4th kyu test (except for jo, of course). I do a really pretty sankyo....

~Do one thing each day that scares you...~
Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #55
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Just an fyi...

I got my Iaido uniform in the mail today...

My hakama makes me look fat too.

If only I knew how to sew instead of own a sewing machine. I could make a better fitted gi top.

I don't even know where to begin with that hakama. I don't know how to wear it, there are these long ass ties and I think they may have embroidered my name wrong (but they are Japanese!).

But I admit I did run around the house this morning with it tied like junk and my bokken out, terrorizing my fish with a bunch of cuts towards the fish tank. Go ahead, laugh. I did look like a big old dork in floppy pants hanging off me (as if you didn't do the same thing when you got your first hakama, be it for Aikido or Iaido).

Now I need to find a youtube video on how to fold this dang thing back up before class tonight as well as how to wear it.

And I need a new carrybag Aikido gi plus Iaido gi, plus weapons, plus Kindle, iphone, apples, water, wallet and granola bar = pack mule.

Oh... and what is this plastic tongue depressor thing stitched into the back of my hakama? is it an Iaido thing? That would hurt I, think, if I had to ever roll in that for Aikido.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #56
lbb
United_States

Maybe you should contact Bujin (www.bujindesign.com) for aikido clothes specific to women. Also, I'd suggest getting one of your sempai to teach you how to put on and fold a hakama. They'll be a better teacher than youtube.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #57
Victoria Pitt
United_States

^^ yes but I need to fold it before class tonight as that I don't want it to get too wrinkled. I am sure one of the Iaido guys will be happy to show me how to wear my clothes. They have to since I have to know how to do it right to hold my saya.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #58
Kent Enfield

United_States

Quote:
My hakama makes me look fat too.

If only I knew how to sew instead of own a sewing machine. I could make a better fitted gi top.
Japanese-style clothing, including keikogi and hakama for budo, aren't supposed to be fitted in the sense of following the shape of one's body. They're all made of big rectangles for the most part. Get over it.

Kentokuseisei
Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #59
lbb
United_States

Quote:
^^ yes but I need to fold it before class tonight as that I don't want it to get too wrinkled. .
Heh, you should have left it in the package if you didn't know how to fold it!

Here's how I do it:

1. Grasp the top by the corners of the back flap, more or less (holding front and back) and shake it out.
2. Holding it by the top, lay it out face-down. Don't worry about lining anything up, that comes later -- just try to keep the front and back of the top centered.
3. Fold the box pleats, beginning with the innermost one. These pleats are all close to the inside of the legs. If you trace them up to the top of the hakama, it should be obvious which goes under which. When you are done, you want to have the outside seams right at the edge of the fabric (you may need to tug it a bit to get it like this) and the box pleats neatly folded and overlapping.
4. Grasp the top (front and back) in one hand and the bottom (front in back, holding the bottoms of the box pleats in place) in the other. Lift the hakama and switch ends so that the hakama is now face up. Do NOT let go until you've got it laid out. Don't worry if the front side goes all floppy -- if you've folded the box pleats properly and gripped it properly prior to turning it over, the box pleats will stay in place.
5. Carefully, without pulling out the box pleats, tug the outside seams into place (you want the outside edge to be right on the seam).
6. Beginning with the innermost pleats, fold the pleats as you did with the box pleat. Generally, you will be bringing the fabric in toward the middle, if that makes any sense. When you are done, all pleats should be neatly folded and vertical, the hakama should be flat, and the seams aligned with the edges.
7. Fold the outside seams to the center. You now have a narrow rectangle.
8. Crease the material of the hakama short-ways, more or less halfway up its length. Fold the bottom edge up to the top of the fabric.
9. Crease the folded hakama as in step 8, only in thirds this time. Again, fold up from bottom to top. You should now have a small square of fabric.

Folding and tying the ties is a whole 'nother subject -- for now, I'd just fold them flat and not worry about it, just get someone to show you how to do this after class.

It'll probably be pretty frustrating at first (especially after the first time you wash it), but practice makes perfect, or at least good enough.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #60
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Kent Enfield wrote: View Post
Japanese-style clothing, including keikogi and hakama for budo, aren't supposed to be fitted in the sense of following the shape of one's body. They're all made of big rectangles for the most part. Get over it.
Get over it, or innovate. I don't believe in stagnation and "just because so and so does it" means its okay for time immortal. Bujin apparently is addressing a market. I see further ways to expand on it and make it more comfortable and functional. And though I can't sew, I just might make a stab at it. Anyway, you just said that they are all made of big rectangles. Then it must be easy to improve the design some, yet keep the tradition.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #61
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Heh, you should have left it in the package if you didn't know how to fold it!

Here's how I do it:

1. Grasp the top by the corners of the back flap, more or less (holding front and back) and shake it out.
2. Holding it by the top, lay it out face-down. Don't worry about lining anything up, that comes later -- just try to keep the front and back of the top centered.
3. Fold the box pleats, beginning with the innermost one. These pleats are all close to the inside of the legs. If you trace them up to the top of the hakama, it should be obvious which goes under which. When you are done, you want to have the outside seams right at the edge of the fabric (you may need to tug it a bit to get it like this) and the box pleats neatly folded and overlapping.
4. Grasp the top (front and back) in one hand and the bottom (front in back, holding the bottoms of the box pleats in place) in the other. Lift the hakama and switch ends so that the hakama is now face up. Do NOT let go until you've got it laid out. Don't worry if the front side goes all floppy -- if you've folded the box pleats properly and gripped it properly prior to turning it over, the box pleats will stay in place.
5. Carefully, without pulling out the box pleats, tug the outside seams into place (you want the outside edge to be right on the seam).
6. Beginning with the innermost pleats, fold the pleats as you did with the box pleat. Generally, you will be bringing the fabric in toward the middle, if that makes any sense. When you are done, all pleats should be neatly folded and vertical, the hakama should be flat, and the seams aligned with the edges.
7. Fold the outside seams to the center. You now have a narrow rectangle.
8. Crease the material of the hakama short-ways, more or less halfway up its length. Fold the bottom edge up to the top of the fabric.
9. Crease the folded hakama as in step 8, only in thirds this time. Again, fold up from bottom to top. You should now have a small square of fabric.

Folding and tying the ties is a whole 'nother subject -- for now, I'd just fold them flat and not worry about it, just get someone to show you how to do this after class.

It'll probably be pretty frustrating at first (especially after the first time you wash it), but practice makes perfect, or at least good enough.
Thank you. I've folded the Sensei's a few time (with her or his assistance) and I'm good at origami so I should be able to figure it out.

And I still had to take it out of the package- there were strings holding the thing together that I had to cut out (like when you get a new skirt or suit coat).

Sorry, I just was excited. As I've said before, I'm not terribly serious and this is fun for me. The new hakama amused my ADHD for this morning.

(I don't really have ADHD but people think I do. I just get excited easily about new things. I love change!)

Old 11-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #62
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Tongue Re: My gi makes me look fat.

Quote:
But I admit I did run around the house this morning with it tied like junk and my bokken out, terrorizing my fish with a bunch of cuts towards the fish tank. Go ahead, laugh....

And I need a new carrybag Aikido gi plus Iaido gi, plus weapons, plus Kindle, iphone, apples, water, wallet and granola bar = pack mule.
LOL Poor fishies. My horse was a little alarned at my barn-porch jo practice, at first. I think I put a little too much intent into my (not very loud, really) kiai. He's figured out now that it doesn't have anything to do with him.

For the bag, when you order your women's dogi from Bu-Jin, get the Dogi Backpack, and a Weapons Bag. I have both (plus their dogi). Great products.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #63
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Linda Eskin wrote: View Post
LOL Poor fishies. My horse was a little alarned at my barn-porch jo practice, at first. I think I put a little too much intent into my (not very loud, really) kiai. He's figured out now that it doesn't have anything to do with him.

For the bag, when you order your women's dogi from Bu-Jin, get the Dogi Backpack, and a Weapons Bag. I have both (plus their dogi). Great products.
Well, you have to graduate now to doing cuts mounted. Then you can train your horse in budo too to be a good war horse.

What kind of horse? And more importantly, will he look fetching in war-horse gear? I know how to make some really cool head plumes for the bridle! (no, I am not kidding... previous job)

Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #64
Linda Eskin

United_States

Quote:
Well, you have to graduate now to doing cuts mounted. Then you can train your horse in budo too to be a good war horse.

What kind of horse? And more importantly, will he look fetching in war-horse gear? I know how to make some really cool head plumes for the bridle! (no, I am not kidding... previous job)
He would make a very cool war horse. :-) He's mostly Percheron (draft horse) with some Quarter Horse and Paint thrown in. You can see him here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCbFLzYm_U Love the plume idea! I may have to talk to you about that.

I want to learn more about mounted budo stuff (archery? sword?)... Dressage is really a martial art, too.

What Rainy is really good at is manure fork take-aways. One of these days I want to get a photo of him w/manure fork vs. me (in gi) with jo. Maybe when things green up after some rain. Could be a cool picture, if he'll cooperate.

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #65
Victoria Pitt
United_States

^^ BEAUTIFUL animal. Geesh, he looks good.

Love you for having a partal draft horse too! I used to drive horse and carriages back in college here in Chicago. I got good enough that I would drive in the parades, drive teams, and train them (the horses) some. Most of the stock was Percheron or Percheron crosses (my barn had a think for Morgan/Percheron crosses). My favorite horse was "proud cut" and a danger to have on the street and also far, far, too big. Half Shire, half Belgium, waaaay over a ton, and feet like saucers, literally.

Smartest horse I ever worked with even if he liked to kick the doors cars and eat the planters in front of hotels.

And any time of decoration that you need for driving or any questions you might have, let me know! I kinda miss it but don't miss the awful pay!

( I also love your donkeys... are they friendly too? Most I have known don't like people which makes me sad because they are cute).

Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #66
Linda Eskin

United_States

Thanks. :-) They are all very friendly. Eeyore (the smaller donkey) loves attention, but has to be sure you're OK first. He can be a little standoffish. Smart as a whip, though.

Man, that Shire/Belgian sounds like a handful. LOL And huge. Rainy is "only" 1,400 lbs and 16 hands. Big enough, IMHO. :-)

Old 11-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #67
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
...I've folded the Sensei's a few time (with her or his assistance) and I'm good at origami...
oh great. i can see it now. the next thread will be 'my hakama looks like an origami crane'

:P

practice hard
Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #68
Linda Eskin

United_States

Ooh! Nicely done hakama-folding nstructions: http://www.elovirta.com/wp-content/u.../12/hakama.png

Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #69
Victoria Pitt
United_States

The Shire/Belgium was named "Jake" and yes he was. He was always getting into trouble and cost the company money which is why they hired me to get him to stop being such an asshole on the street. He was scared of going over the Michigan ave. bridge too because it has a metal grate that you can see through. I remember him doing that huffing thing and starting to back up when he saw it. I jumped off the carriage and went by his head and asked him nicely to come with me. I'll never forget his ears going back and forth and then him doing that affection lip thing on my hand and then tentatively putting that big old hoof on the bridge and then then next one. I loved him so much then because he did what I asked him for love of me.

No one else could get him to do it- He'd just jack knife the buggy and kick out and snort.

Was a fine, fine, fine, animal with the biggest heart and willingness to try if you knew how to talk to him, even if his big butt was scared of a trash bag on the street.

Horses are so funny!

And Jerry- um... I wouldn't make that as a topic as that if my hakama looks like a crane, I folded it that way on purpose. Don't give me any ideas...

Old 11-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #70
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Here is a video for folding your hakama: I fold mine three times instead of twice though.
http://vidbunker.com/kendo_how_to_fold_hakama

Here is a video of the way I tie my himo:
http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?ho...lXcWuRpdVl4Wjg

Just a note though, at least in my dojo, when it comes to: tying a hakama on, folding the hakama and folding the himo there are several ways, depending on who you watch. You dojo may have "a way" or your dojo may have many ways.

P.S. I'm sure you look fine in your hakama. Maybe we should have a support group. "Hi, my name is Ashley and I look aweful in ::FILL IN THE BLANK::" Haha. Post a picture and then hear how we don't look as bad as we feel.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #71
Josh Lerner

United_States

There actually is a Japanese word for someone who looks fat because of their clothing - kibutoi, which I assume is written 着太い.

ki = to wear, clothing; the "ki" in "kimono"
butoi = futoi = fat (adjective, not the noun)

Josh
Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #72
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Ah, happy memories of Chśnen Butori Ryś.

Gotta work on that...

Old 11-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #73
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Here is a video for folding your hakama: I fold mine three times instead of twice though.
http://vidbunker.com/kendo_how_to_fold_hakama

Here is a video of the way I tie my himo:
http://www.vidoemo.com/yvideo.php?ho...lXcWuRpdVl4Wjg

Just a note though, at least in my dojo, when it comes to: tying a hakama on, folding the hakama and folding the himo there are several ways, depending on who you watch. You dojo may have "a way" or your dojo may have many ways.

P.S. I'm sure you look fine in your hakama. Maybe we should have a support group. "Hi, my name is Ashley and I look aweful in ::FILL IN THE BLANK::" Haha. Post a picture and then hear how we don't look as bad as we feel.
Oh gosh no... I don't feel like I have a right to wear a hakama- I only am because it is the Iaido uniform. I'd hate for someone to see a photo of me in a hakama and mistake me for someone who thinks they have a clue...

Old 11-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #74
Janet Rosen

V, the Bujin womens gi tops are a good place to start. The darts are not perfectly placed - they are made for women younger than me ;-) - but still very well made and shaped nicely.
If you ever decide you really do want a custom fitted made from scratch one and help making it I could assist you in developing a pattern for yourself.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #75
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Oh gosh no... I don't feel like I have a right to wear a hakama- I only am because it is the Iaido uniform. I'd hate for someone to see a photo of me in a hakama and mistake me for someone who thinks they have a clue...
I'm with you on that (or at least partly). I only wear a hakama in iaido as well. I won't be wearing one in aikido for a long time (started in March). I don't think I look too awful in a gi or hakama, though I would like a gi and hakama to fit my curves better (hence I will be buying from bujin when and if I ever get the money).

P.S. Did I ever say I like you? You make me laugh an awful lot on here, and with my line of work, humor is MUCH appreciated.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.