Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
justinmaceachern
Dojo: St. george
Canary Islands
Smile Is there a way to unite all martail arts

hi every one, my name is justin and i am a 3rd kyu in aikido, high blue belt in taekwando (itf), and have started bjj 3 or 4 months ago. and i want to say that i have the utmost respect for any stlye of martail arts, and i sickins me to here people talk down at some one because of the art they train in. wsnt it Bruce lee, and Morihei usheiba, and Genral Choi hung hi who said "Peace and unity" it seems people are more interested in what they can do versus why they do it. people tend to lean toward the master that they learn from and thats fine, but what gives them the right to put down someone elses art. so if any one reads this thread think carefully of what you say the next time this topic comes up.
Thank you, no disrespect intended.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States
Re: Is there a way to unite all martail arts

Is there a way to unite all martial arts?

No.

There are so many martial arts out there, with totally different training attitudes, reasons for training, methods of training, techniques, kata forms, etc.

Even if we could combine all the physical stuff, there is no way we could combine the mind-set.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

why would you want to unite all martial arts...every thing but aikido sucks....sorry bit of sarcasim creeping out,

Dan Hulley
Old 01-25-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Justin,

You can unite martial artists when they are under your roof. Be cool to people and develope your own reputation. Practitioners of many styles have visited our dojo; We even share space with two TKD schools! We're not interested in the politics of other aikido dojo. We get along at our school, and when we visit other schools. If people are too judgemental and combative, they're crossed off the friend list. Love all the martial arts, and they'll be united in you. Teach others your way of thinking, and you've got a good start.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 01-25-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

There's no real point in uniting the martial arts. That is like uniting a football team with an orchestra.
The mountain and the valley do not pay too much attention to each other.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

I love a restaurant with a large menu. It allows everyone to get what they want.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
crbateman

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
I love a restaurant with a large menu. It allows everyone to get what they want.
...and it allows ME to OVEREAT!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

The food-analgogy was the first thing that came to my mind as well - I love chocolate, thai curries and sushi, but all in ONE ?!
Old 01-26-2006, 03:37 AM   #9
crbateman

Sonja, I second your
Old 01-26-2006, 04:21 AM   #10
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Excuse me all of you.

But could someone explain to me:
What does uniting different M.A. mean ?

One can not unify the curriculum, that would create a new M.A. not unify the existing ones.
Most M.A. already use similar ranks, but the criteria for grading is different, due to the difference in curriculum (see above)
etc.
So, What does uniting different M.A. mean ?

Amir
Old 01-26-2006, 05:27 AM   #11
justinmaceachern
Canary Islands

I think you guys are missing my point that i was trying to make.
I dont want to take all martail arts and combine them for one art. I simply wish i could end this fued. James i am with you 100 percent. if we are taught to love our own martail art then in turn we should be taught to love all martail arts right. in fact afte a while i am more interseted in looking at other forms of self defense. I just want us to under the same roof at the same time without trying to prove who is the best. I truly believe that this is not the way Morihei wanted it. if it was he would not taking aikido outside of japan, same with Kisshomaru. I mean sumo guys facinated Morihei. He wanted tolearn more about them not put them down.
Well that is just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:50 AM   #12
Taliesin

It seems unlikely that Martial Arts will end up unified at all for a number of reasons.

1. There are way to many 'moves, techniqies, etc for people to master every single one.

2. The best martial art is the best for you. So that if you attempted that diffentent people would
concentrate on those aspects of the arts that are best for themselves. (Even in the same Dojo,
with the same rank and the same jiyuwaza, people chose to do different technique)

3. The underlying ethos of what the Art is about - restraint, knocking somebody out, could not be established through an attempt to integrate all martial Arts.

For myself I would suggest, focus on your core Art (whether Aikido or not) and then magpie snatch the techniques and moves from the other arts that are best for you.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
justinmaceachern
Canary Islands

Again dave iam not talking about unifying by the means of combining arts. i mean respect ones art like you would respect their opinions. Just because one person thinks the art that they ae training in is better the some one elses doesnt give them the right to throught it someone face. Example:
If you were a black belt in taekwando,and you thought that taekwando was the ultamate art, would you start putting down a 3rd of 4th dan in aikido or any other art to his or her face?
probably not. I thank all of you for your opinions. And for taking time to read my threads, It really does mean a lot to me.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #14
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, there are many of us who cross-train enough to respect the value of all arts, allowing us to enter and blend with them.

But, that is a mental attitude that must come from within each of us.

IMHO, because by definition, martial arts are an adversarial competitive (win/lose) combat art, there will always be those with that same attitude. Unfortunately, it limits their growth to their own ignorance, making them easier to defeat.

Don't worry about their mental unity and work on your own.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #15
justinmaceachern
Canary Islands

Lynn im starting to like your opinions. I really feel that if you have an attitude of one who is better then the other, then you missed the whole point.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:38 AM   #16
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
IMHO, because by definition, martial arts are an adversarial competitive (win/lose) combat art, there will always be those with that same attitude. Unfortunately, it limits their growth to their own ignorance, making them easier to defeat.
As Aikido is non competative, there is no win/lose, could we say that it is not a "Martial" Art

Cheers

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #17
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
As Aikido is non competative
ducks diving shodothugs...
Quote:
there is no win/lose
breaths a sigh of relief at the qualification
Quote:
could we say that it is not a "Martial" Art
while you'll get a lot of non-aikido people from other ma agreeing with you, there's a few of us here who might take exception to that appellation... back to main thread
Quote:
but what gives them the right to put down someone else's art
humans judge things, sometimes correctly, sometimes incorrectly, it's part of being human. We all have opinions, often they're contradictory and cause dissension. However, this idea of non-criticism falls into my own pet hate - censorship - if someone has an opinion that you don't like, deal with it, don't whine and say they shouldn't say it in the first place.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #18
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

Quote:
As Aikido is non competative, there is no win/lose, could we say that it is not a "Martial" Art
After 15 years I suddenly find out I went to the wrong address? ;-)
Alec

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #19
justinmaceachern
Canary Islands

Since when has competiong meant anything. just because we are not competing. what the heck is that. some schools of karate dont compete so i guess they should not be considered a sport right.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #20
justinmaceachern
Canary Islands

My point is for ian. I am not "whineing" because they areputting down my art. I am simply stating if you are of a high rank and you still put people, or sorry, their martail art down then in my opinion they dont deserve the tilte (rank) that they have. thats all i am saying
Old 01-26-2006, 12:29 PM   #21
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote:

Cheers

Mark
I have read several things that say that aikido is the last true and purest martial art....

also as for uniting martial arts, A friend of mine goes to a dojo, where they train in jujitsu, kemp, tkd and capoera...is that broad enough to be considered unting martial arts.....and they dont do any comepetions they just do demos

Dan Hulley
Old 01-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #22
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I always liked the Stephen Covey philosophy of "seeking to understand before being understood". I think this is what needs to happen, not only within martial arts, but the world. Ignorance tends to be the tool of devisiveness and prejudice....which is really what we are talking about here.

I know from my perspective that the longer I study martial arts, and spread out my study between several arts, these things tend to disappear and I can a deeper understanding and appreciation of the various arts.

That does not mean there are things that I do not like, or find inferior in the arts, but I have found the process of seeking to understand to be much more "unifying" than "devisive".

Instead of unifying martial arts, I think martial artist should unify themselves by being open minded and adopting a "student of life" mentality! That in itself would go along way into creating peace and harmony!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #23
James Smithe

Dojo: undisclosed location
United_States

Anyone who demonstrates their art can put up a fight works has my respect. Also Kyoushin is better than Shotokan.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #24
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Justin MacEachern wrote:
Again dave iam not talking about unifying by the means of combining arts. i mean respect ones art like you would respect their opinions. Just because one person thinks the art that they ae training in is better the some one elses doesnt give them the right to throught it someone face. Example:
If you were a black belt in taekwando,and you thought that taekwando was the ultamate art, would you start putting down a 3rd of 4th dan in aikido or any other art to his or her face?
probably not. I thank all of you for your opinions. And for taking time to read my threads, It really does mean a lot to me.
Justin,
I think a lot of confusion came from your wrong use of the term unifying. The definition of unifying is:

"combining into a single unit"

So by unifying MA would mean to bring them all together into one unit or art.

Also, respect is never anything that can be demanded. It is something that has to be earned. For example, when I was in the military it is mandatory to address an officer as Sir out of "respect". Some officers earned that respect and you were glad to call them Sir; Other officers were complete idiots and we called them Sir to their face to stay out of trouble, and behind their backs talked about what idiots they were.

I think 95% of martial artists have respect for other arts, no matter what style it is already. Probably closer to 100% for those of us that have done any training in another art for any length of time.

The other 5% are the ones who are training only to prove "how bad they are" and those are pretty much a lost cause.

*drops .02 in the bucket and heads back to the dojo*

Mike
Old 01-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #25
James Smithe

Dojo: undisclosed location
United_States

Quote:
I think 95% of martial artists have respect for other arts, no matter what style it is already. Probably closer to 100% for those of us that have done any training in another art for any length of time.
Where did take my dough come from then?