Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Shizentota

Dojo: Hakusan A.K.I.
Chile
Kubi Nage???

Please if someone can tell me how to perform this technique, because Yudo Kubi nage seem to be different from the aiki way of applying it.

I founded this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auw3aiOcbpI

Last edited by Shizentota : 09-25-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
alexevon

Dojo: Forsyth Aikido
United_States
Re: Kubi Nage???

That video is so embarrasing... No wonder Aikido has a bad name.
When we do this technique, uke is coming in at full speed and is usually airborne by the time he/she hits the mats.

This video somewhat looks like a Sumi otoshi, as opposed to a kubi nage.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Manuel Aldunate wrote: View Post
Please if someone can tell me how to perform this technique, because Yudo Kubi nage seem to be different from the aiki way of applying it.

I founded this...
KUBI NAGE? Nasty. I know a technique different from the one in the video by this name. Basically, you grab UKE's head and twist. It sure looks like a killing technique to me.

Rick Stickles does one on his Expo (aikidojournal.com) demonstration. You also see it discussed in Crane and Crane's Aikido in Training, book and Lost Technique vid (maybe lost because it's pretty dangerous.)

Quote:
Alex Evonosky wrote: View Post
That video is so embarrasing... No wonder Aikido has a bad name.
When we do this technique, uke is coming in at full speed and is usually airborne by the time he/she hits the mats.
What was so bad? It was teaching speed.

Quote:
This video somewhat looks like a Sumi otoshi, as opposed to a kubi nage.
I think of SUMI OTOSHI as going outside of UKE. Going inside like this I would call KOKYU NAGE. But then, all our organizations have their own names for these things, don't they.

Last edited by Don_Modesto : 09-25-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 09-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Shizentota

Chile

It seems that nobody knows the exactly way to perform it, please fell free to post any comments, to me, this video I posted, doesnt look like sumiotoshi (CORNER DROP) It looks more like a kokiunage
Old 09-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
It seems that nobody knows the exactly way to perform it, please fell free to post any comments, to me, this video I posted, doesnt look like sumiotoshi (CORNER DROP) It looks more like a kokiunage
Kubi nage? Hmm start with yokomen uchi enter in tsugi ashi, take ukes head/neck with both hands, turn to face the same direction as uke and drop onto one knee while cutting kashima stylee (we don't have pulling in aikido ) ukes head into your center.

Last edited by Ketsan : 09-25-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
Ketsan
United Kingdom

Actually think the hands thing might be wrong. I've seen two ways. One where you meet yokomen uchi with one hand and then wrap the other hand around the back of ukes head/neck as you turn then then cut and drop.
The other you somehow take it with both hands and then cut and drop.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Shizentota

Chile

Thank alex....
Do you have any picture of this, I will be easy for us to get the idea.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:

I founded this...
One shihan who used to do kubi-nage (kubi means neck, by the way, not head) was the late Morihiro Saito. At a seminar I attended he was doing it from kata-dori. He broke uke's balance, took the head, now in range of atemi, and twisted the neck (which is why it is dangerous). Hence the name. You can do at least a hint of this even in the very basic irimi-nage.

Of course there are a number of other waza where you can take the head, but do not necessarily twist the neck. The waza shown in the video is one of them.

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I believe the Crane's refer to the head throws as men nage-been a long time since I looked at the video.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
John Riggs wrote: View Post
I believe the Crane's refer to the head throws as men nage-been a long time since I looked at the video.
Men basically means 'face' and many of the Japanese compounds have the added meaning of what one does with the face: the look or expression. On p.233 on the book, Crane explains that it means 'head throw', but this is a very 'local' meaning, in my opinion.

We do the whole range of 'men-nage' waza illustrated on pp.238-241 of Cranes' book, but here they have always been called kubi-nage, because the neck is twisted.

The main term for head in Japanese is atama, also read as TO. As far as I know, the term does not appear in any terms for aikido waza.

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
Ketsan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Thank alex....
Do you have any picture of this, I will be easy for us to get the idea.
Unfortunately not. I've had a mooch around the net and I can only find the judo version, which is quite a bit different from what I've been taught.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #12
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

I have less of a concern about the technique and more of a concern about what the uke was doing. The uke reminded me of scenes of "Night of the Living Dead." I would not be happy if one of my students said that I taught him/her how to attack like that.

Marc Abrams
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #13
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

James is awesome. That goes in my book as best attack of the year.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:40 PM   #14
Shizentota

Chile

Thanks all for posting, I saw the Judo version, but to me there is no aiki in that, thanks all anyways this is my first time posting here , and I am very happy to have all of your answers
Old 09-26-2007, 06:08 AM   #15
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
One shihan who used to do kubi-nage (kubi means neck, by the way, not head) was the late Morihiro Saito. At a seminar I attended he was doing it from kata-dori. He broke uke's balance, took the head, now in range of atemi, and twisted the neck (which is why it is dangerous). Hence the name.
Something like this, but here is called kumi nage (probably a typo)
Old 09-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #16
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Something like this, but here is called kumi nage (probably a typo)
Sorry, It was impossible to download the video on to my computer.

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #17
Shizentota

Chile

You can found it here http://www.iwamaivanovo.ru

The attack here is Ryo mune dori,
which is the way to perform it when the attack is

-Shomenuchi
-Ushiro ryote dori

Gracias Demetrio
Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #18
Ketsan
United Kingdom

Quote:
You can found it here http://www.iwamaivanovo.ru

The attack here is Ryo mune dori,
which is the way to perform it when the attack is

-Shomenuchi
-Ushiro ryote dori

Gracias Demetrio
Hmm. I've done that before in Ju-jitsu but never in Aikido. The kubi nage I've been shown is pretty much like a drop ippon seoi nage only you're holding uke's head rather than their arm.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #19
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Peter Goldsbury wrote:
Sorry, It was impossible to download the video on to my computer.
I've just uploaded to youtube the clip.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-80sMpTI5A

Quote:
Manuel Aldunate wrote:
The attack here is Ryo mune dori
I think is an attempt to a standing gyaku-juji-jime.

As been said before, there are more in Crane's books/video

Last edited by Demetrio Cereijo : 09-26-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #20
gregg block

United_States

What a ridiculous attack.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #21
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Gregg Block wrote: View Post
Really?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:48 AM   #22
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Quote:
Gregg Block wrote: View Post
While I must admit to finding these videos (I checked a couple of other techniques too) unimpressive, from my technical point of view looking at Tori (the technique performer). Though, without feeling the technique on me, I am not sure if my problem stems from real technical deficencies or only from style differences which make me think some essential components are missing from the techniques (to the point they would not work had I tried to practice them this way in the dojo).

Still, I do not get your problem with the attack. The attack is clearly simbolic by intention. In fact, it seemed so symbolic I think it is hard to perform techniques on it.

These videos were labeled as a basic level teaching aid. And at that level, a fast and realistic attack would hinder the learning of the techniques, and derail attention from it.

Amir
Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #23
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

Quote:

I founded this...
I'm sure the teacher appeared on some "Expert Village" kendo videos too. But... even a lowly ikkyu such as myself could see a lot of stuff you shouldn't pay attention to. It was bad kendo unfortunately.

this aikido video, a little weird that the attack is a zombie style one but i guess we can forgive that for the purposes of teaching.

We do something very similar (in terms of technique) although we relate it to ude furi. I'm not too down with the aiki terminology but there could be a few different names for that technique.
e.g. omote tenkan... ude oroshi, aiki nage, ude nage, ?kubi nage? Each organisation might call it something different, you'd probably have to feel it to decide.

I doubt i'd call it a neck throw though but i'm still a beginner. Certainly doesn't look like neck throws i've seen, but i doubt i've seen em all!

peace and love

Jo.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #24
Ecosamurai

Dojo: Takagashira Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jo Duncan wrote: View Post
I'm sure the teacher appeared on some "Expert Village" kendo videos too. But... even a lowly ikkyu such as myself could see a lot of stuff you shouldn't pay attention to. It was bad kendo unfortunately.

this aikido video, a little weird that the attack is a zombie style one but i guess we can forgive that for the purposes of teaching.

We do something very similar (in terms of technique) although we relate it to ude furi. I'm not too down with the aiki terminology but there could be a few different names for that technique.
e.g. omote tenkan... ude oroshi, aiki nage, ude nage, ?kubi nage? Each organisation might call it something different, you'd probably have to feel it to decide.

I doubt i'd call it a neck throw though but i'm still a beginner. Certainly doesn't look like neck throws i've seen, but i doubt i've seen em all!

peace and love

Jo.
We do have kubinage on our syllabus Jo, think from ikkyu and above if my memory serves might be shodan though. Doesn't look like the vid though. Ours usually involves a hand on the neck, it depends upon the entry and attack but often it can involve pushing them back while holding the neck (think a bit like shomen-ate to the throat but not quite), variations include manipulating the neck by controlling the chin which might look more like the vid. Without the zombie attacking though

Mike

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
-Martin Luther King Jr
Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #25
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

I've seen something vaguely similar, called kubi-ate kokyunage. So a neck-striking throw. E.g., from yokomenchi, nage steps inside uke's strike radius and counterstrikes the neck to throw. No head-twisting, though. I remember the oddest thing was that nage's rotation isn't the way you'd expect...like. Let's see. From gyaku hanmi (left foot forward), nage would step in with the left foot, rotate clockwise on the balls of their feet, and then strike with the right hand.

(My recollection is a bit fuzzy.)