Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-23-2001, 04:11 PM   #1
Jim23
I keep running into different styles of Aikido. How many styles are there?

I'm sure that I was told that there were about four different styles. But I keep finding more, like: Yoseikan, Kokikai, Jiyushinkai, Nippon Kan, etc.

Are these considered Aikido?

Also, is there a significant difference between the styles? Hard/soft, etc.

I'm too new at this to be able to tell the difference (yet). But I will.

Gim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 02-24-2001, 07:22 AM   #2
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
Ai symbol

Among the tendencies prevalent in aikido today are the soft approach emphasizing circular or ki no nagare techniques of Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba of the Aikikai Hombu Dojo, the so-called hard-style school of Yoshinkan Aikido headed by Gozo Shioda Sensei, the emphasis on the concept of "ki" of Shinshin Toitsu Aikido as espoused by Koichi Tohei Sensei, the eclectic system of Minoru Mochizuki Sensei of Yoseikan Aikido, and the sports aikido system which includes competition devised by Kenji Tomiki Shihan. To these must be added the unified technical curriculum formulated by 9th dan Aikikai Shihan Morihiro Saito. Saito Sensei's approach stressing the interrelationship between taijutsu and bukiwaza
by Stanley Pranin

I thought this might be useful to you as well.
As for my thoughts on the different styles of Aikido, I think there are millions, as every has his own way to do techniques, even though they are similar. It can be likened to reaching the summit of a mountain there is an infinite number of ways to reach it, we all just take different paths, no one is wrong but the one that is probably most right is the one Osensei took.
Yes it can be said that some are hard and some are soft, but there are also hard and easy ways to climb a mountain. Different people trained with Osensei at different times along his path so when he was at a 'hard' point they learnt a harder way.
The one thing I have noticed so far that is great about Aikido is that no one claims that they are right and every one else is wrong, I could be wrong but we are trying to follow Osensei to the top of our mountain.

If you want more specifics then just ask?

Graham Wild
Old 02-24-2001, 08:35 AM   #3
Jim23
So Ueshiba's aikido 'evolved', therefore the different styles.

I think I've counted about 15 variations so far. Kinda confusing.

Gim23

Old 02-24-2001, 02:31 PM   #4
Jim23
Quote:
wildaikido wrote:
As for my thoughts on the different styles of Aikido, I think there are millions, as every has his own way to do techniques, even though they are similar.
I didn't mean different ways of doing techniques (personal style), I meant distinct styles of aikido, like Yoshinkan, Aikikai, etc.

Gim23

Old 02-24-2001, 06:31 PM   #5
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Quote:
Jim23 wrote:
Quote:
wildaikido wrote:
As for my thoughts on the different styles of Aikido, I think there are millions, as every has his own way to do techniques, even though they are similar.
I didn't mean different ways of doing techniques (personal style), I meant distinct styles of aikido, like Yoshinkan, Aikikai, etc.

Gim23
See http://www.aikiweb.com/general/affiliat.html and
http://www.aikidofaq.com/introduction.html#12 .

Is it not the policy of this forum that we sign our full names?

Greg Jennings
Old 02-25-2001, 08:02 AM   #6
akiy

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
Is it not the policy of this forum that we sign our full names?
It's a rule to sign with your real name (just the first name is OK), but it's a rule to have your full name in your profile...

As for the question of "styles," I'd just say that aikido is aikido.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-25-2001, 08:27 AM   #7
Jim23
Thanks for the links.

I looked at your site and found the monthly price a bit high.

The club's style wasn't mentioned. Was this intentional? Iwama-ryu?

----
I found this a little confusing (not from your site):

Shin-shin Toitsu Aikido

The style founded by Koichi Tohei - Aikido with Mind and Body Unified. Tohei-sensei places a great deal of emphasis on understanding the concept of Ki and developing this aspect independently of the Aikido training for application to general health and daily life.

This style is one of the softest styles of Aikido and is characterized by soft movements that often involve the practitioner jumping or skipping during the movement. Most schools are not concerned with practical application of the techniques, considering them exercises to further develop ki.
In recent years, Tohei-sensei has been moving further and further away from Aikido and has devoted himself almost exclusively to Ki training. The latest news is that Ki no Kenkyukai has started an initiative to make Shin-shin Toitsu Aikido into an International Competitive sport.

Gim23

Old 02-25-2001, 09:16 AM   #8
Jim23
[quote]Greg Jennings wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Iwama Style Aikido In Montgomery, AL
Sorry, I missed seeing that in your signature. But, I figured it out though.

Gim23

Old 02-25-2001, 09:32 AM   #9
Jim23
[quote]akiy wrote:
Quote:
As for the question of "styles," I'd just say that aikido is aikido.
"...the more a subject is understood, the more briefly it may be explained,"
Thomas Jefferson, 1816

Unfortunately, I don't know much (did I say that?).

Gim23

Old 02-25-2001, 10:17 AM   #10
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Quote:
Jim23 wrote:
Thanks for the links.
Da nada. I thought you'd appreciate knowing about the different name tags and affiliations.

At the deeper level, however, I absolutely agree with Jun about "Aikido is Aikido".

Quote:

I looked at your site and found the monthly price a bit high.
You visited our site and didn't leave a message in the guest book? I'm wounded to the quick.

As it says in our FAQ, http://24.12.212.64/cca_faq.html , we don't have any expenses so we don't charge anything.

Quote:

The club's style wasn't mentioned. Was this intentional? Iwama-ryu?
Yes, it was intentional and I've taken the "Iwama Style" that you mention later out of my signature. I must have been having an off day when I included that in there.

Given that we're not concerned with marketing, our thought has always been to indicate our lineage and let people draw their own conclusions. You'll find our lineage on http://24.12.212.64/about_cca.html .

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings