Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
IwamaNewbie
Iwama style student in tokyo

Hi,
I trained in Aikikai in Sydney for about 6 months and then in Iwama (Takemusu) style for another 4 months back in 2003 and have moved to Tokyo for work. I intend to head up to Iwama every now and again once I have another 6 months or more in Iwama style ( I find this is my prefered style) and if anyone can let me know some good dojos in Tokyo for Iwama style I would be grateful - even if there is just a small bunch of like minded, serious Iwama aikidoka in Tokyo I'd like to hear from you.
Cheers
Iwama Newbie m(_ _)m

Last edited by IwamaNewbie : 02-17-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Re: Iwama style student in tokyo

Try this link: http://www.iwamaaikido.com/uehara/

Stumbled over it when I did a quick search after Iwama dojos for a dojomate that is moving to Tokyo this spring.

Other than that I (if I had the opportunity to live in Tokyo) would search out a Nishio-style dojo or Yoshinkan Hombu.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

There's plenty of good Aikikai Aikido in Tokyo too, don't let anyone fool you different. Endo Sensei teaches at the Aikikai hombu and at Meguro. Also at the Aikikai you have Doshu, Tada, Osawa and a host of others. Most of these gentleman teach at locations outside of Hombu too.

I know that this is probably going to spark a few "my dad's better than your dad" type posts. Just saying that if you can't find Iwama style in Tokyo, don't close your options.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 02-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
PaulieWalnuts
Scotland
Thumbs down Re: Iwama style student in tokyo

Otaka and Mr gardiners dojo. Well worth the training, otaka travels up to Iwama at the weekends so he can certainly help you training in both dojo's
I have not met Mr gardiner( cant remember his name) but Otaka is a great guy.
Good luck with your training im moving back to Iwama next month might see you later in the year.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
crbateman

I would surely think that someone in your Iwama dojo must know who is teaching Iwama style in Tokyo. I'd inquire within.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
IwamaNewbie

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post - I'm most grateful.

Bryan, appreciate your comments and I did not intend to not explore other options available- Iwama is just my preferred style and its just a personal thing.
I have nothing against other styles at all, and I have friends more comfortable with different styles and like myself they just stick with what they enjoy and feel comfortable with - we're all on the same path.....

Peter, thanks for the link and I'll follow it up tomorrow
Stefen, Otaka-sensei sounds great, do you have details of the dojo where he teaches?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
PaulieWalnuts
Scotland

At the moment no. I take it youve been out of the loop for a while, i was about to say get your iwama teacher to write to sensei, but if your coming back after a while that is a bit different. what i can do just now is i will email a friend who lives in Iwama and ask her to get otakas email address or if i have probs i will have to wait until i get there on april 1st then i will speak to him then. try emailing the website if you can. give me your email address.
cheers
Old 02-20-2006, 02:48 AM   #8
IwamaNewbie

Hi Stefen,
yes, its been a while since I've been training and I've been out of touch with my training colleagues - though I have been able to get in touch with one of my fellow aikidoka and he's seeing what he can find out for me. He also said to get to Iwama and train I'll need a letter of recommendation and considering how long its been since I last trained, I should get another 6 months solid training under my belt first. My mail address is jp_ace11@yahoo.com
Thanks again
Old 03-15-2006, 01:39 AM   #9
petergardiner
Japan

give me a call on 080 5442 5466.

Peter Gardiner
Old 10-06-2006, 12:29 AM   #10
Ibaraki Bryan

Dojo: Iwama Shinshin Aiki Shuren Juku
Japan

Go to the Iwama dojo mentioned here:

http://www.iwamaaikido.com/uehara/

The guy on the left is awesome -- we trained together every sunday for months up in Iwama. Very nice guy, good english, very very strong aikido.