Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
Smile Crosstraining Aikidoka: A Survey

I did a forum search and as I didn't see anything recent that was similar (at least in its scope), I'm hoping that any Aikidoka out there who are currently cross training in other martial arts could be so kind as to take the time to answer a few questions for me - I'd really like to get a sense of what people are doing, how and why:

1) How long have you been practicing Aikido?

2) What is/are the name(s) of the other art(s) you are currently practicing?

3) How long have you been practicing the other art(s) concurrent with your training in Aikido?

4) What ratio of time do you devote to each art (ie. how many days a week are spent practicing Aikido, how many days in the other art(s)?)

5) Is the focus/goal of your cross training:
a) to complement your practice of Aikido
b) to broaden your knowledge/overall skill as a martial artist in general
or
c) other (if so, what?)

6) If you believe that the current art(s) you are cross training in is/are benefiting or complementing your practice of Aikido, could you please describe how?

7) Can you think of any ways that your current cross training may actually be detrimental to your practice of Aikido and if so, please describe how.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited by jducusin : 03-10-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Removed redundant question

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: Crosstraining Aikidoka: A Survey

1. 12 Years give or take.
2. Silat and Arnis.
3. 2 and less than 1.
4. Formal practice. Silat:arnis:aikido 1:1:4
5. Learning something new opened my eyes.
Silat was an opportunity for me given the teacher's reluctance to teach for years. I was his first student in the last 2 decades. At that point, I had deficient ability in Aikido to defend myself against a solid silat exponent. Practice in it showed me aspects of Aikido I never before realised. Its kind of like, you inherited something and overlook its meaning and function. Takes a fresh perspective to give you a better understanding.
Arnis I just did to improve weapon knowledge against knives and fast strikers. We rarely do this in Aikido classes where one usually over commits on his strikes. In arnis, with multiple rapid strikes and weaves, it will help with reflex, pattern analysis and confidence. Kuzushi, maai and etc is already there in Aikido and helps tremendously with Arnis.

7. These arts have different intents behind them. In silat and arnis, there's no mercy. When you're training for Aiki, you have to open yourself. In silat and arnis, your focus is to come out on top. They are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
David Maidment
United Nations

1) Two years. Plus a stint when I was a youngster.

2) Iaido & Kyudo.

3) About six months Iaido, one month Kyudo.

4) Two - four days a week Aikido. One day a week Iaido. Kyudo once every other week.

5) All of the above. I find Iai to be complimentary to my Aikido, but I train in it mainly for itself.

6) The posture and cutting requirements of Iaido (along with moving with/from your centre) help most aspects of Aikido for me. I'm also working on getting some kind of zanshin down in Aikido (but failing!).

7) I've been told that I'm doing 'Iaido' cuts when using a bokken, instead of what is supposed to be done (too much intention to slice uke in two, I suppose...). Otherwise there's been very little detriment. I haven't done enough Kyudo to make any informed opinions regarding its effect.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

1) Eight years.
2) Currently Judo, formerly BJJ and some kickboxing.
3) Four months (in Judo), BJJ in and out since 2005.
4) I try to keep the same ratio in mat hours.
5) To have fun.
6) Putting the eyes back in the dragon.
7) Don't think so.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
bernardkwan
Dojo: Aikido Doyukai Hong Kong
Hong Kong

1. About seven years in total (with an seven year break in between)
2. Gao Style Baguazhang
3. Three years
4. four days Bagua 2 days Aikido in a week
5. To train internal power and structure. Also being Chinese and living in HK, it won't do for me to purely train a Japanese martial art when there is so much on offer here. It's like going to Paris and only eating McDonalds.
6. Much broader range of attacks / kicks / throws. The footwork and movement is also much more complex
7. Most of the stuff carries over, although some of the qinna (grappling) may be more dangerous than the aikido. Perhaps there is less of an emphasis on "peace" and relaxation

Last edited by bernardkwan : 03-11-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
Peter Chenier
Dojo: Summerland Aikikai
Canada

Three years

Carlson Gracie BBJ just started

3) How long have you been practicing the other art(s) concurrent with your training in Aikido?

1 week :0)

4) What ratio of time do you devote to each art (ie. how many days a week are spent practicing Aikido, how many days in the other art(s)?)

3 Aikido 1 BBJ

or
c) other (if so, what?)

None of the above its to challenge myself

6) If you believe that the current art(s) you are cross training in is/are benefiting or complementing your practice of Aikido, could you please describe how?

On the first class in BBJ I learned when to use kokunage..I did not do it to my uke..after all it was a BBJ class not an Aikido class. I also learned that Aikidoka are nearly impossible to clinch with :0)

7) Can you think of any ways that your current cross training may actually be detrimental to your practice of Aikido and if so, please describe how.

Nope none at all..I also practiced karate for over 16 years..If I put it all together what have I learned?? Only that I need to learn allot more!!

Cheers

Peter
Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 AM   #7
Jon Marshall
Dojo: Bath Aikido Society
United Kingdom

1. 13 years aikido.

2. Hsing-I Chuan

3. Couple of months (previous intermittent dabbles in other arts)

4. Aikido once a week, twice if I'm lucky. Hsing-I once a week. Plus solo practice, which is currently Hsing-I dominated .

5. Primarily to compliment my aikido. Specifically, to give teeth to my aikido so that the potential choice of whether to use more or less destructive techniques is just that - a genuine choice. Of course, I could also fall in love with Hsing-I in its own right - early days.

6. Hsing-I strikes seem, to me, to be more compatible with aikido movement than those of other styles I've looked at. As a Chinese internal art, there's lots of standing practice, which I'm a fan of.

7. Having dipped in and out of tai chi, where I felt there were some stylistic contradictions with aikido, I'm delighted to discover that Hsing-I (so far) seems very compatible indeed.

Still gotta learn more grappling, though.

Jon.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Jon, is it because of the 'irimi' striking aspects and center powered strikes?

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Jamie D. Ducusin wrote: View Post
I did a forum search and as I didn't see anything recent that was similar (at least in its scope), I'm hoping that any Aikidoka out there who are currently cross training in other martial arts could be so kind as to take the time to answer a few questions for me - I'd really like to get a sense of what people are doing, how and why:

About 20 years current

Quote:
MMA ( a mixture of striking,grappling BJJ) with various teachers... Iaido

Quote:
About 20 years Iaido and 15 years MMA

Quote:
Aikido & Iaido between 7 and 20 hours a week MMA about 3 to 4 hours

Quote:
or
c) other (if so, what?)
a) Yes
b) Yes
c) Because it's fun I love MMA both watching and practicing. I am hoping to find a Systema School near me.

Quote:
Nothing builds a more competent Aikido practice than getting smacked/kicked in the face or being forced to tap out. Why? Well Most Aikido Dojos I've seen have beginners who have no prior Martial Arts experience and they need to see and feel what a fight may "look like" including me... They also need to feel punches and kicks...Just my Opinion...Getting smacked in the face and still being able to execute a technique is a sign of competence not failure. And being able to execute a technique when faced with a competent Martial Artist while remaining true to the spirit of Aikido...That's Mastery.

Quote:
We're encouraged to cross train in our style of Aikido so... No...That's one of the things I love about Shoji Nishio's Philosophy of Aikido... Aikido has to work as a Martial Art and unless you adapt and test it... It will atrophy and die.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for your time!
You're Welcome
William Hazen
Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
Jon Marshall
Dojo: Bath Aikido Society
United Kingdom

Hi Ahmad,

Short answer, 'Yes'. Like I say, it's early days (more theory and enthusiasm than proven application), but the 'gaps' in aikido technique where an atemi could fit seem to lend themselves to the 5 basic hsing-i fists without compromising ones flow or posture.

You don't so much throw a punch, but move through your opponent with your whole body, fist first. So if your partner/opponent doesn't play ball and respect the ma-ai you're seeking to establish, he can have one of these instead. The 'root', so valued in Chinese internal arts, is more mobile than in tai chi (though, ultimately, perhaps less powerful) which makes it more aikido-friendly.

As with your arnis/silat experience, the arts are 'at opposite ends of the spectrum', which is nice. If you give it a try, let me know how you get on.

Jon.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
wideawakedreamer

Dojo: Bu Yuu Kan dojo
Philippines

Almost 4 years now. Or it would be almost 4 years except that I haven't been training lately due to one major change in my life (hint: he's really cute and he can stand up now)

Arnis

I only started last year

See my answer to number 1.

or
c) other (if so, what?)

When I decided to take up Arnis, it was with both a and b in mind.

A. Because Arnis is a weapons art, it helps as a sort of "reality check" when dealing with weapons.

B. Some of the concepts actually overlap. Like the idea of getting out of the line of attack. We also do that in Arnis.

Only that sometimes I get impatient in Aikido practice. Especially when I see my fellow students being too lax because they're no longer afraid of getting hit (because we're all such gentle Aikidoka ).

Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
mah927

1) 3 years on and off - last six months serious

2) Goju Ryu - 18 years (last 5 training alone)

3) 3 plus in Aikido and Goju

4) 5 days Goju 2 days Aikido

5) I do both arts to broaden my knowledge/overall skill as a martial artist

6) It is benefiting both my Aikido and Goju Ryu. Helps me interpret bankai of Goju. Helps me incorporate Atemi in Aikido. Amazing how things - If I may use a favorite IT Term "seamlessly" fuse.

7) Doubt I have come across anything detrimental. Wonderful thing is how naturally, the mind is able to flow from one art to the other. Ahhmazing. Nice mini survey.

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life there.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
Bunkai - Re: Crosstraining Aikidoka: A Survey

Quote:
Ayaz Haniffa wrote: View Post
6) It is benefiting both my Aikido and Goju Ryu. Helps me interpret bankai of Goju. Helps me incorporate Atemi in Aikido. Amazing how things - If I may use a favorite IT Term "seamlessly" fuse.
I recall my own Aikido instructor once having a student who had trained in Karate for many years remarking on the same thing; apparently he was in the middle of class when suddenly the Karateka started laughing, saying he had finally understood the bunkai behind a particular kata he had done for so long.

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 05-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

1) About four months.

2) Taekwondo.

3) About three months.

4) I am taking two or three full-length (1.5-2 hours) aikido classes a week. I get brief taekwondo sessions with my sixth graders (see below) two or three times a week and take one full-length adult class a week.

5) I work at a small charter school for students with learning disabilities and behavioral issues, and taekwondo is what our students get for physical education. I started taekwondo mostly for the purpose of building up relationships with my students, whereas aikido is more of an end unto itself for me.

6) I find that both arts focus heavily on developing flexibility and balance in their practitioners, so they compliment each other quite well in terms of physical conditioning.

7) The only real problem I've discovered so far is that taekwondo cuts into the time I could be spending practicing aikido. If not for taekwondo, I could be getting in another aikido class every week.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #15
tsealock
Dojo: UT Arlington Aikido Club/International Aikido Association
United_States

1 year
Bjj, Muay Thai
Muay Thai 1 year, BJJ 6 months
Aikido-3 days per week, BJJ 5 days per week, Muay Thai 1-2 days per week

A and B

My aikido sensei also teaches us Muay thai so he really shows us how Muay thai strikes serve as Atemi for Aikido techniques. Also, Aikido techniques flow very well into bjj and vice-versa

I can't really think of anything.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
EzD
United_States

approx 15 years

JKD

approx 13 years

even split

no
yes
c) other (if so, what?)
I think it's due to my bi-polar tendencies. Aikido (to me) is the ultimate in defense; JKD is the ultimate in offense

I think Aikido compliments JKD with some of the footwork and getting comfortable in close range; JKD compliments Aikido with a broader reptoire of atemi.

There is a definite conflict with mindset. However, both seem to agree on the mushin principle.

Just my 10 cents (inflation!)

Last edited by EzD : 07-27-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #17
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
8 years.

Quote:
Aikijujutsu Yoseikan, Nihon Taijutsu. Mainly.

Quote:
7 years.

Quote:
50/50.

Quote:
or
c) other (if so, what?)
a+b

Quote:
Absolutely.

Quote:
In no way.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
Anth
Dojo: UKAU (Peterlee)
United Kingdom

Quote:
2 weeks shy of a year.

Quote:
Kamishin ryu karate.

Quote:
Since the start

Quote:
50:50 - two sessions of each a week most weeks. Could be going up to 3 aiki to one karate at some point soon.

Quote:
or
c) other (if so, what?)
9 years in karate and spending more time teaching than actually learning my own stuff these days made me want to start something new. There's something quite refreshing about being back at the other end of the dojo!

Quote:
Since I started I've had those "eureka moments" that others have mentioned regarding bunkai and I've noticed that other elements of my karate have made an appearance (new tori's normally get a warning to avoid my tsuki, for example). At the same time though my karate has started to flow a lot more (one thing I've needed to improve for years) so all good.

Quote:
Yep, too many years of being rooted in stances and staying on my feet means I'm too "rigid" at times and I roll like a bag of spanners. I keep getting a twitchy leg when I tenkan around a technique and naturally want to throw in a jodan mawashi-geri (roundhouse kick) instead of throwing too
Old 10-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #19
Chris Evans
United_States
Nothing builds a more competent Aikido practice than getting smacked/kicked in the fa

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
...Nothing builds a more competent Aikido practice than getting smacked/kicked in the face or being forced to tap out. Why? Well Most Aikido Dojos I've seen have beginners who have no prior Martial Arts experience and they need to see and feel what a fight may "look like" including me... They also need to feel punches and kicks...Just my Opinion...Getting smacked in the face and still being able to execute a technique is a sign of competence not failure. And being able to execute a technique when faced with a competent Martial Artist while remaining true to the spirit of Aikido...That's Mastery.

We're encouraged to cross train in our style of Aikido so... No...That's one of the things I love about Shoji Nishio's Philosophy of Aikido... Aikido has to work as a Martial Art and unless you adapt and test it... It will atrophy and die.

You're Welcome
William Hazen
Reading William Hazen's post, specifically, and this thread, in general, makes me feel better about
cross-training in Aikido.

Lat year, I was training only a few hours a week, but while surfing I had realized the the importance in be earnest about holistic training. "Where the mind is at" is key to catching a wave that can hurt and the the way to the mind is through the physical (here I'll refer to Bodhidharma's experience when training monks).

I hear the cops in Japan cross-train in Judo and Kendo.

One observation I have is that a beginner budo-ka will really benefit from focusing on one art and building a physical fitness base. Now, if you do BJJ often you will gain fitness just from class.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #20
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

Say, didn't the Founder of Aikido crosstrain?

Didn't most of his top disciples do so also?

Weren't we all admonished to not overlook every opportunity to improve ourselves and our art? That the "aikido" we seek is ours to create?

True training is 24/7. What are we wasting our time doing?

Nuff said.

Last edited by aikishihan : 10-14-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #21
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan

1) 5 yrs

2) Shotokan Karate

3) 4 yrs

4) 3x/week, 2x/week

5) a, b, c (= its interesting, period)

6) They complement each other. Where there is overlap, is it interesting to see the similarities.

7) No.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #22
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan
Re: Nothing builds a more competent Aikido practice than getting smacked/kicked in th

Quote:
Chris Evans wrote: View Post
I hear the cops in Japan cross-train in Judo and Kendo.
Yes and no. The J-cops have their own version of police judo, which (unsurprisingly) is pretty heavy on arrest techniques.
Any additional martial arts that the police school applicants bring with them are highly encouraged.
And then, of course, there is the famous 1-year "angry white pajamas" Aikido course at Yoshinkan, which the riot cops have to take. A great business deal for Yoshinkan, may I add.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:03 AM   #23
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

1) 16 years
2) Arnis (Filipino Martial Arts)
3) Actually started Arnis before Aikido, continued training in it once I started practicing Aikido
4) Aikido 3 days a week, Arnis, 1 day a week
5) a) b) c) To preserve and keep in touch with my Filipino heritage
6) I see more similarities than differences now..
7) No fundamental incompatibilities..

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #24
Chris Evans
United_States
Re: Nothing builds a more competent Aikido practice than getting smacked/kicked in th

Quote:
Willi Brix wrote: View Post
Yes and no. The J-cops have their own version of police judo, which (unsurprisingly) is pretty heavy on arrest techniques.
Any additional martial arts that the police school applicants bring with them are highly encouraged.
And then, of course, there is the famous 1-year "angry white pajamas" Aikido course at Yoshinkan, which the riot cops have to take. A great business deal for Yoshinkan, may I add.
Interesting. Thanks, Willi.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 10-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #25
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

7 years

Goju Ryu Karate

about 6 months

Aikido 3-4 times, Karate 1-2 times

or
c) other (if so, what?)

Probably all - I'd like to get my attacks (kicks and punches) a little sharper, I'd like to see some more of what's "out there", but most of all, it's just fun!
My aikido teacher has been in competitive karate for quite a few years prior to starting aikido and I think you do see it in her attacks... I find them quite impressive. So I think it might help there...

See above. Especially when we do kicking techniques. I always hated those earlier. Punches, too... They're still a long way from perfect, but training kicking and pnuching for an hour once a week should help!

Might be, because they do have different "movement schemes" - in karate, you normally stay quite straight and block (though goju ryu does have some of the circular-moving-out-of-the-way-techniques). But I haven't felt that I brought that into my aikido, I guess I've been training long enough to be able to seperate. I do occasionally have problems in karate because of my "aikido reflexes", but nothing too serious!