Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-18-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Which art do you think is more physically effective - judo or aikido?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of July 18, 2004:

Which art do you think is more physically effective - judo or aikido?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Aikido, and I have trained in aikido and judo
  • Aikido, but I have only trained in aikido
  • Aikido, but I have only trained in judo
  • Judo, and I have trained in aikido and judo
  • Judo, but I have only trained in aikido
  • Judo, but I have only trained in judo
  • Neither - it's the practitioner that matters, and I have trained in aikido and judo
  • Neither - it's the practitioner that matters, and I have only trained in aikido
  • Neither - it's the practitioner that matters, and I have only trained in judo
Here are the current results.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
Michael Neal
Re: Poll: Which art do you think is more physically effective - judo or aikido?

How can you possibly say Aikido is more effective or neither if you have only trained in Aikido and vice versa?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:12 AM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I can say it. It would be a completely uninformed opinion but nothing stops me from saying it

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-23-2004, 02:52 AM   #4
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

I looked at this askance as well, but a survey is about opinion, not fact. What I would like is that any vote by someone who claims knowledge of both has a greater % weight than that by single proponents, aikido or judo.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:06 AM   #5
Clayton Kale
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikido Academy

I'm withholding my vote for the moment. I'm unsure if this means effective as in exercise for the individual or effective as in "most effective way to make uke do a face plant." How do y'all interpret it?

"Pefect practice makes perfect." -Steven A. Weber Godan Nihon Goshin Aikido

Old 07-23-2004, 06:13 AM   #6
Devin McDowell
Dojo: RA Centre
Canada

I think they mean the face plant one. Its what a lot of people have been talking about lately, so its logical that's what the survey would mean.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:51 AM   #7
rcoit
Dojo: northeast aikikai
United_States

I agree the question is not sufficiently clear to allow accurate interpretation of the responses. I have done both, finding judo to be more like Greco-Roman wrestling- competitive, arduous, and not as focused on re-directing uke as aikido is. Aikido is more effective as a self-defense art and encounters far more different scenarios. So the responses are predictably going to be varied since the meaning of 'effectiveness' is not detailed.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

And in the end, its all rubbish...train in what you like. Enjoy, and remember to breathe...

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-23-2004, 08:13 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, its not the style thats effective, it the practitioner.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-23-2004, 08:33 AM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

For me aikido is far more physically effective...because I don't know judo.

Someone once asked a friend of mine who is a shooting enthusiast what was the best pistol for self-defense, he replied "the one you have". A .22 caliber (small for those non-shooters) pistol in the hands of someone competent in its use is more effective than a .44 super mag in the hands of someone who couldn't hit a barn from the inside

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #11
Michael Neal

no offense but this is mass delusion
Old 07-23-2004, 09:32 AM   #12
mj

I'm not even Catholic.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #13
Michael Neal

Well Aikido is quasi religious right?

I posted this same poll question on judoinfo.com with a different result
http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1903

Last edited by Michael Neal : 07-23-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:06 PM   #14
mj

Really? That's quite shocking.

Imagine...different people having different opinions.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:56 PM   #15
Michael Neal

Yes, imagine that.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:31 AM   #16
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

Well, that about sums it up, guys. I thought we were studying a way for people to get along, but I don't see how that'll work so long as these differing opinions keep coming up.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:56 AM   #17
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote:
Well, that about sums it up, guys. I thought we were studying a way for people to get along, but I don't see how that'll work so long as these differing opinions keep coming up.
Well in my OPINION its the differing opinions that keeps things interesting. And they don't preclude getting along.

Has visions of vacant eyed drones ruling the world.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #18
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote:
I thought we were studying a way for people to get along, but I don't see how that'll work so long as these differing opinions keep coming up.
Thank you, you illustrate the perfect point.

IMHO, people will never learn to get along if we expect each other to have the same opinions, customs, or ideas. The only hope we have is to learn to express, accept, learn from, and appreicate the differences.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-24-2004, 11:11 AM   #19
Michael Neal

It is amazing that almost every Aikidoka I have talked to brings up some kind of story about an Aikido master who defeated some unknown Judoka and then converted that guy to Aikido. The story is then repeated over and over again.

Usually we have no idea of the Judoka's experience level or the full details of the event itself, I mean a demonstration of a technique can hardly be claimed to be defeat of a Judoka. "Here, grab my wrist" does not equal randori, sparring, or fighting.

They start threads about how they went to a Judo dojo and tossed them around etc. etc. Then they start a poll to show that most Aikidoka think Aikido is more effective etc. etc.

It is then the Judoka who is a jerk for questioning this and offering the opposite
viewpoint. We are supposed to fall in line and say that both arts are the same, even while they constantly try to hint with their stories that Aikido is superior.

While most Aikido is practiced in manner that is much less rigorous than Judo and with alot of cooperation we are supposed to say that does not matter it is only the individual martial artist that matters.

Sorry, I disagree and I am sorry if that hurts people's feelings but I am just being honest. I never said Aikido sucks or is not good, that has never been my argument at all. My argument from the beginning has been that the training methods of Judo make it more practical.

I am not trying to attack anyoone personally here, as Lynn and Peter said above it is different viewpoints that make things interesting.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #20
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
My argument from the beginning has been that the training methods of Judo make it more practical.

add faster to that. Judo training methods make it more practical faster. I think adding randori from the get-go gives it a steeper learning curve. I wish we could do more randori sooner because I think it would help, but there is a trade-off. Judo had to sacrafice some techniques to make it safe for everyday training. Aikido did not. I believe the shodokan guys can only use certain techniques to make sure that it's safe. So in order to train that way, we have to sacrafice techniques. Or everybody can go back to the "hell dojo" days and then nobody would want to train aikido anymore because it would be more dangerous, with broken limbs, fatalities and all. Besides, different people train for different reasons. I think "hell dojo" would be pretty cool, but I'm sure plenty would not.

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #21
mj

Ah but Judo is only practical to a certain degree.

Surely the only Martial Art to ban hitting the head?

Like Mike Tyson said...'everyone has a strategy - til you punch them in the mouth'

Old 07-24-2004, 02:01 PM   #22
Michael Neal

And Aikido trains hitting to the head? Not really.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:35 PM   #23
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Mr. Neal, I agree with much of what you say. However, you paint with a very broad brush. You might get out a bit more and find out that not all aikido dojo train the way you've experienced so far.

Cheers!

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 07-24-2004, 03:48 PM   #24
Michael Neal

I am sure you are right, I have been saying that my opinion applies to Aikido in general and how it is usually trained. Of course there are excepetions, there are some Judo dojos that practice very horribly as well.

What it boils down to I think is that it is easier to get lazy in Aikido practice than Judo practice. In Judo if you get lazy you get your ass kicked in AIkido nothing really will happen.

Last edited by Michael Neal : 07-24-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:52 AM   #25
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
It is amazing that almost every Aikidoka I have talked to brings up some kind of story about an Aikido master who defeated some unknown Judoka and then converted that guy to Aikido. The story is then repeated over and over again.
I have brought up no such story, and several others on this forum haven't either. I have also not repeated any stories. I think you exagerate.

Quote:
Usually we have no idea of the Judoka's experience level or the full details of the event itself, I mean a demonstration of a technique can hardly be claimed to be defeat of a Judoka. "Here, grab my wrist" does not equal randori, sparring, or fighting.
a) if you'd like some details, read the stories about Sokaku Takeda, Mochizuki Sensei, etc. on aikidojournal.com. **I** won't repeat them though...

b) I have seen no one say that a wrist grab = randori, sparring or fighting.

Quote:
They start threads about how they went to a Judo dojo and tossed them around etc. etc. Then they start a poll to show that most Aikidoka think Aikido is more effective etc. etc.
Uh, the poll was started by the Aikiweb system (AKA Jun), so this was not the same person who started the judo thread. Peter started the judo thread, and his post was very complementary about judo, and not once did he talk about throwing judoka around because of his aikido. you can read his post here: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5996

His last sentence
Quote:
I must say I really like the people I've met doing Judo. No need for posturing - its very clear who can do what to who. You may fight hard but before and afterward - very relaxed.
Tells me that you've read him all wrong.

Quote:
It is then the Judoka who is a jerk for questioning this and offering the opposite
viewpoint. We are supposed to fall in line and say that both arts are the same, even while they constantly try to hint with their stories that Aikido is superior.
Well, I see people giving their perspective, and you disagreeing with it. Your attitude (what some might call being a jerk) is separate from the information you provide, at least in my mind...

Quote:
While most Aikido is practiced in manner that is much less rigorous than Judo and with alot of cooperation we are supposed to say that does not matter it is only the individual martial artist that matters.
Well isn't it the individual artist that matters? If you take someone that doesn't break a sweat in their training and put them up against a world class athelete, why would you expect the non-sweating person to win? Duh... If you take a shodokan stylist who trains 6 days a week, HARD, and put them up against someone who does judo cassually...who do you think will win... duh.... Its kind of stating the obvious.

Quote:
Sorry, I disagree and I am sorry if that hurts people's feelings but I am just being honest. I never said Aikido sucks or is not good, that has never been my argument at all. My argument from the beginning has been that the training methods of Judo make it more practical.
No problem, no need to appologize for disagreeing. More practical for what? The nice thing about judo is that it has some pretty standard practices for training. Pretty much no matter where you go, the standard format will be the same (exceptions might be in the case of kosen judo or dojo that are similarly focused). The level of skill might change, the level of physical fitness might change, but the format is pretty much the same.

I can think of at least 10 different styles of practice that I have seen personally in aikido...some in the same federation! Aikido keiko is simply not as monolithic as judo practice. No harm there.

Quote:
I am not trying to attack anyoone personally here, as Lynn and Peter said above it is different viewpoints that make things interesting.
Quite right...so hold your opinion, accept that some here will not convert to it, train hard, and live well.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)