Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-02-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
dps

Harmony with Nature and the Universe

Is the universe and nature harmonious and peaceful? When you look at the stars at night do you see harmony and peace. In the forest, desert, lakes and oceans do the creatures that live there do so in a nonviolent way with each other?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan
Re: Harmony with Nature and the Universe

reality is what you make it. I choose peace and harmony, but not everyone sees it that way.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
roadster
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Barbara
United_States

IMO there is balance, but harmony and peace, not so
much. The universe was born in and still is in chaos.
From a very outside perspective you can see it in many
different ways. We are born to die. In the physical
realm, we are flawed. Be it because we are born in sin
as the bible says, or be it that we have not tuned
ourselves into enlightenment as Buddhists believe.

Like us, the universe is dying, and transforming.
There has to be a balance somewhere or it just
wouldn't work at all.

How much of us is in the realm of real harmony,
balance, and peace I don't know. But it exists.

Just my opinion on the matter. I am by no means a seasoned Aikidoka.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Is the universe and nature harmonious and peaceful? When you look at the stars at night do you see harmony and peace. In the forest, desert, lakes and oceans do the creatures that live there do so in a nonviolent way with each other?

David
When I am swirling a glass of Henessy XO while smoking a Cuban, sitting at my pateo with wife while listening to Eric Clapman... I see harmony and peaceful in everything.

When my sales report is due tomorrow and I just got back at 10pm while entertaining a client, the peace and harmony things get shove out the window.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:

David
The whole issue depends on your point of view... In the larger sense the whole Universe is in a balance in which every piece is connected to every other piece.

Yet, the whole is made up of component parts which are constantly being created and uncreated in the sense that there is nothing which isn't changing form all of the time. Nothing is static or unchanging.

So from the limited human perspective which is fragile and transitory in the extreme, it all seems incredibly violent. But that is within our own hearts not really a reflection of what is. It is an emotional reaction of fear that comes from attachment, an attempt to find permanence where there is none.

Spiritual practice is largely about trying to come to terms with this issue. In the end "harmony" is how you describe what is out there but "peace" needs to be in your heart. It's how you choose to relate to the constant change which is a fact of existence.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 11-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
The whole issue depends on your point of view... In the larger sense the whole Universe is in a balance in which every piece is connected to every other piece.

Yet, the whole is made up of component parts which are constantly being created and uncreated in the sense that there is nothing which isn't changing form all of the time. Nothing is static or unchanging.

So from the limited human perspective which is fragile and transitory in the extreme, it all seems incredibly violent. But that is within our own hearts not really a reflection of what is. It is an emotional reaction of fear that comes from attachment, an attempt to find permanence where there is none.

Spiritual practice is largely about trying to come to terms with this issue. In the end "harmony" is how you describe what is out there but "peace" needs to be in your heart. It's how you choose to relate to the constant change which is a fact of existence.
Yes . . . and still it is perhaps best if one guards against even this becoming an extreme view that can potentially allow for, or excuse, the worst potentials of human behavior in a way similar to those adopting the reverse view in the extreme. In other words, if I create suffering in the name of "truth" or if I create suffering because, in the end, there is no "ultimate truth," I've still created suffering.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 11-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

Somebody said to me and it made alot of sense:

"There are two options, either we are physical beings having a spiritual experience or we are spiritual beings having a physical experience."

I read once in a book about the chaos theory that within any system of organization, there is an underlying chaos, and within that underlying chaos, an even more profoundly disturbing system of organization. And so on and so on, amen.

In the Art of War, Sun Tzu proposes that the only surefire method of controlling one's own mind is to realize that in times of violence there will follow a time of peace, and in times of peace there will follow a time of violence.

I believe that I create my "reality" on a moment to moment basis and how I perceive that reality is dependant on my internal condition. The world is unfolding exactly as it should, if I see a problem with it, then that is my problem, not the world's, and if I want to change it, then the change should be exacted within myself.
Who am I to offer suggestions for improvement on perferction? I just don't know enough to. The cosmos far too large and myself far too small and ignorant.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai

Quote:
When I look at the stars at night I see countless points of light. They remind me of how tiny, and insignificant I am in the vast expanse of the universe. Its a good reminder not to take myself too seriously; in the grand context of the universe none of us is really that important.

I dunno' about the universe, but I've watched enough animal specials on Discovery Channel to know that there is plenty of violence in the forests, deserts, lakes and oceans of our world. Ever watch a pride of lions chow down on a zebra? Or witness a crocodile snatch a wildebeest from the shore of a river? Or see a shark chomp a chunk out of a tuna? Whoohoo! "Nature" is nothing if not brutal and violent (of course it isn't only these things).

Why do you ask?

Jon.

Last edited by Jonathan : 11-02-2007 at 04:21 PM.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."
Old 11-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
William Prusner wrote: View Post
I believe that I create my "reality" on a moment to moment basis and how I perceive that reality is dependant on my internal condition.
I am reminded of a dramatized portrayal of an interview of a historic person, along the lines of Steve Allen's "Meeting of the Minds." (dates me I suppose).

Asked by the interviewer, if he ascribed to the Eastern way of thinking about reality and truth he said,

"What? You mean the idea that reality is not really real? It's all an illusion? --- They dodge spears, don't they?"

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, harmonious does not necessarily mean nonviolent as illustrated in nature. When it is appropriate to be violent, then do so with just enough to get the job done. When the job is over, be a peace.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:15 AM   #11
dps

The Ki ( energy or spirit ) of the universe at work creating .....

.http://www.seds.org/HST/M16Full.html

...and destroying

http://space.newscientist.com/articl...supernova.html

In our Aikido if we are to harmonize with this Ki do we not have to accept both sides of what the Ki is doing, creation and destruction.
David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #12
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
The Ki ( energy or spirit ) of the universe at work creating .....

.http://www.seds.org/HST/M16Full.html

...and destroying

http://space.newscientist.com/articl...supernova.html

In our Aikido if we are to harmonize with this Ki do we not have to accept both sides of what the Ki is doing, creation and destruction.
David
Well truth to be told in your metaphor -- destruction is inherent in creation as creation is inherent in destruction -- IF they occur in their natural order. The elements composing our bodies were quite literally born the death spasms of collapsing and exploding stars.

The trick of it all is, of course, first perceiving and then adhering to the natural order in which creation and destruction synthesize to new creation. In Aiki, as in all warfare, the will to attack must be thoroughly and irrevocably destroyed, even while the entry into the arena of destruction is complete. If this spiritual destruction is not accepted, physical destruction begins, because that rejection is out of the natural order. However, the creativity that flows from acceptance of that destruction is nearly infinite.

Haruo Matsuoka made an especially interesting statement in light of your metaphor and my extension of it:

"Aiki is not rejection or resistance, but fusion."

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #13
dps

Creation and destruction is the results of the natural work of the energy of the Universe. I don't see how we can harmonize with the results, we harmonize with the energy.

Do we control that energy or does the energy control us? Do we flow with this energy of creation and destruction or do we direct it?

David

Last edited by dps : 11-04-2007 at 08:38 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Even the peaceful glow of a candle flame is caused by tiny explosions going off in the center of the flame.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 11-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Creation and destruction is the results of the natural work of the energy of the Universe. I don't see how we can harmonize with the results, we harmonize with the energy.
Creation/destruction IS the natural energy of the universe. Entropy salvaged by novelty. Rescue destruction with preemptive creativity. Temper creativity by destroying impossible fantasy.

Quote:
Do we control that energy or does the energy control us? Do we flow with this energy of creation and destruction or do we direct it?
Respectively - yes and yes. And not necessarily, and hardly ever.

I do not create the wave. I do not control the wave. I only control my relationship to the wave.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #16
Josh Reyer

Japan

There is no spoon.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 11-05-2007, 04:36 AM   #17
dps

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
I do not create the wave. I do not control the wave. I only control my relationship to the wave.
You ride the wave wherever it takes you.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:40 AM   #18
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:

David
Ueshiba Morihei would say, "Be the wave."

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #19
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

This conversation makes me want to go surfing.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #20
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine." Jeff Spicoli

Old 01-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #21
Eugene Leslie

Canada

To be or not to be a nihilist: that is the question.

Self-discipline is the chief element of self-esteem; and self-esteem the chief element of courage. Thucydides
Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #22
Eugene Leslie

Canada

Some species of ants make war.

There are no athiests in foxholes.

Self-discipline is the chief element of self-esteem; and self-esteem the chief element of courage. Thucydides
Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #23
Eugene Leslie

Canada

You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #24
cguzik

Quote:
Quote:
You *are* the wave.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #25
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Eugene Leslie wrote: View Post
You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.

Gambarimashyo!