Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > External Aikido Blog Posts

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Thomas Osborn
Dojo: Aikido of Northampton
United_States
Onward, Into The Fog

7/18/13
It has been 3 years since I last taught my aikido class for Vets at the VA hospital Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ward and posted my last blog. But it hasn't been wasted time. I have started a website web site www.keganinnosenshi.com and written a book based on that previous blog, the comments from many Aikidoka, a considerable amount of research and thought and the opportunity to reflect back on the person I was when I got out of Viet Nam and how Aikido enabled me to deal with trauma I didn't even know I had. The book is titled "COMBAT RELATED POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER - A HOLISTIC APPROACH." It is being published by Levellers Press [www.http://levellerspress.com/]
The research has been both rewarding and depressing:
there will be over 300,000 people coming out of the current mid-east mess who have, or will have, Combat Related PTSD [CRPTSD]
50% of women involved in the mid-east war will suffer CRPTSD, a majority will involve abuse and rape from their "comrades in arms"
by the VA's own estimate, about 22 vets commit suicide EVERY DAY, there will be more combat veterans die from suicide than from combat injury
And on and on ad infinitum ad nauseam.
What has been rewarding is finding a growing support for the kinesthetic, movement based treatment Aikido can offer a victim of CRPTSD, and that O Sensei's belief that Aikido can be a way of peace, and further, a way to bring peace to those whose reward for serving their country [they have been told] is a hellish internal world of physical, psychological and spiritual torment.
All this has led to the creation of thenon-profit corporation, which is dedicated to bringing Aikido to Vets with Combat Related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This commitment is taking us down three pathways;
Continuing to teach classes locally, at the PTSD ward, for the VA hospital's general population, at the local Soldiers Home and any other local venue that will have us.
Developing a structured program for aikidoka and VA facilities interested in starting a program and promoting that program with dojos and VA facilities throughout the country.
Developing research projects which can provide objective "scientific" data which can verify that Aikido can be an effective part of a holistic, therapeutic CRPTSD program and a powerful tool vets can use in dealing with what is a lifelong struggle with their condition.
I want my efforts, and this blog to be a way of encouraging and supporting others in offering Aikido for Vets with CRPTSD, so I guess those last comments are what you'd call cliff hangers. I will cover each of these in the next few blogs

(Original blog post may be found here.)
Old 07-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada
Re: Onward, Into The Fog

I love this. It is so inspiring to see how aikido can help heal people suffering with a very serious and painful condition.

Thanks for taking this on. It's a powerful and positive way to share your knowledge and O Sensei's vision.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Janet Rosen

Re: Onward, Into The Fog

So good to read an update from you!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield