Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #101
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan
Re: Daily Applications of Aikido

I thought I’d give a shot at answering this question in a way that isn’t as silly as my last comment (and sorry for the double-post, but I guess there is a time limit on editing posts).

My feeling now, after having left Aikido, explored other things and come back is that I apply the same things that I apply in my daily life that I apply in Aikido. It is more so that Aikido puts a form on things I understand, or have realised with myself. Explaining that is going to be difficult.

What I saw in myself and other people when I started Aikido is that the difficulties I had and have doing the techniques well were, to some degree, a reflection of aspects of myself that I had been having trouble with. Fears, doubts, insecurities and all of that come right out in my techniques. They come right out in my life at times of pressure too. Just as events invoke all these issues, so too does having to do the different techniques on different people (especially that big foreign guy who gave me concussion in ’98 in Tokyo who even the teachers had trouble moving).

In a similar parallel, in my break from Aikido, I had chiropractic treatment. It wasn’t unusual for people to have a treatment and suddenly break down and cry as an emotion that had rooted itself in the body had manifest itself as a mis-aligned vertebrae. I did Emotional Freedom Technique and learned much the same thing about the body holding onto emotional energy as well. I realised that will power could overcome illness and it is possible to cure oneself (I just wish I was good at that, I’m not, and the foot I landed hard on still hurts over a week later, despite my best efforts at…oh never mind).

Most importantly I learned two things: Keeping your one-point is important, always. Once you “get it” physically then it is hard to move you on the mat if you don't want to move somewhere. Once you “get it” outside the dojo, events around you do not move you emotionally as they once did (not even that stupid ****** who decided to change lanes into the lane I was moving into in heavy traffic, almost causing an epic accident).

The trick is always being in that “I get it” one-point balance/focus all the time. That ain’t easy. The problem is that we aren’t always the same person with the same focus throughout the day. We are a different person at work, at home, with old high-school friends, browsing stuff we like in a store, or even when we drive a car. I found a way to work on these different personalities we have, similarly to the way I work on keeping my one-point in different techniques, some of which I’m reasonably good at (for where I’m at) and for the ones I’m not so good at. This is because I found that in an Aikido class these different aspects of myself can be invoked depending on the technique, as long as there are at least moderately more senior students there. It requires developing a degree of genuine conscious awareness even as one's personalities shift. Easier said than done. In my old class before I stopped I was one of the senior students, so I could hide behind my seniority and ability relative to the others to hide my fears. This was bad and I knew it and part of the reason I quit practicing all those years ago.

Like the chiropractor working on the body to re-align not just one’s physical well-being, but one’s physical/emotional/spiritual well-being, similarly by being “attacked” by my fears and learning to re-align and blend the negative and positive into something greater, I can use Aikido practice to work on my self and my life as a whole, applying “technique” within myself.

This is by far not a complete explanation
Old 12-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #102
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Amos Barnett wrote: View Post
In a similar parallel, in my break from Aikido, I had chiropractic treatment. It wasn't unusual for people to have a treatment and suddenly break down and cry as an emotion that had rooted itself in the body had manifest itself as a mis-aligned vertebrae. I did Emotional Freedom Technique and learned much the same thing about the body holding onto emotional energy as well. I realised that will power could overcome illness and it is possible to cure oneself
Nice post Amos. I am going to look into the EFT

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day
Old 09-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #103
susannescholl
Germany

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
I don't consider Aikido as a way of life, it becomes part of my life because I practice daily not because I conciously make a decision to use Aikido.

Although there are elite Aikido professionals that consider what I do a hobby because I don't attend dojo classes a specific number of days a week, it is not a hobby.

dps
I agree here with you, it is a part of your life for sure. But once it has turned into your conscious choice, it is different I believe.

Searching for soul soothing things