Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #26
nuxie

Dojo: Aikido of Evansville
United_States
Re: When should I buy Hakama

I am going to go ahead and order a judo gi on Monday and perhaps hit up kohls for a sports bra. I never thought about a sports bra. I am a pretty good chested lady. I do think I will see how well the Judo gi stays shut and decide on the modesty string after that. Thanks Ladies for the Ideas!!

Mary
Old 10-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #27
RED
United_States

I'm wondering why none of these things was explain to the OP by their dojo before they started training?

MM
Old 10-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #28
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
I'm wondering why none of these things was explain to the OP by their dojo before they started training?
Based on the original description, it sounds like this is a beginner class where the rest of the class is perhaps also not wearing "standard" aikido attire.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #29
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

In my dojo we are allowed and encouraged to start wearing one after we pass our first (6th kyu) test. I bought my first one a few months after I passed but had an old one on loan from the dojo until I was able to buy my own.

I really like wearing mine. In fact the few tomes Ive trained without one on since starting. I've kinda felt naked. LOL sort of like I was training in my underwear.

Best thing to do is ask your teachers what the rules of the dojo are on wearing hackama. As has been mentioned every place has their own way of doing it.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #30
nuxie

United_States

The deal with the dojo is we are practicing with another martial arts school. We pay to attend their school an they let us work off to the side in our own style. So there are several styles of martial arts being done there. Jeff was just very kind to work with me in Aikido as he was already had two people he was teaching. So it is more of a small group of people working out. There are more people finding out about us and are asking to join in. one night we had I believe 5 people. So it is very casual. We bow in , warm up and start doing techniques. Jeff has been teaching us. I had just gotten home from class when all these questions came raging into my brain and though it would be a good starting point for talking on the board. I am sure if I ask him etc he will tell me. He has mentioned I should just get a judo gi for now etc etc. I was just interested how people do things on a larger scale. I will probably ask him all these questions when I see him on Monday for training. There is a "dedicated" ( i mean by that is Aikido only school set up with great mats ertc. ) in Owensboro that I believe he attends regularly. I have been invited to join there. I am also planning on going sometime on a Saturday there.

What we have now is in a church gym with umm well cheap mats that are very hard. The group there is where I used to train in Jui Jitsu, and Karate for a while. When I came back after my ACL surgery I met Jeff who was working in Aikido and decided to go that path instead.

Hopefully our group will grow and we can make a more dedicated dojo etc for Aikido in Evansville. Thats our goal anyway.

So explain away!! Always neato to hear from everyone's experiences.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #31
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan

Quote:
Mary Simonsen wrote: View Post
....He has mentioned I should just get a judo gi for now etc etc. ....
I`d like to repeat that, unless you live in a really cold place, a Karate gi is more suitable for Aikido than a Judo gi.

Your wardrobe choice with Hakama etc. will also depend on which style of Aikido you want to do. The generic term "Aikido" covers a lot of space.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #32
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Willi Brix wrote: View Post
I`d like to repeat that, unless you live in a really cold place, a Karate gi is more suitable for Aikido than a Judo gi.
Some places do a lot of shoulder grabs and koshis and like the judogi for that. But I pretty much dress as you describe it: I wear karate type gi in the summer and judo gi in the winter!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #33
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Some places do a lot of shoulder grabs and koshis and like the judogi for that. But I pretty much dress as you describe it: I wear karate type gi in the summer and judo gi in the winter!
I've actually shredded quite a few straps on karategi - depends where you train. Judogi give a little more padding between you and the mat, though.

Best,

Chris

Old 10-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #34
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

I prefer a judogi myself. We do do some shoulder grabs where it's handy, and I like the extra padding it gives like Chris said.

I actually even like the judogi in the summer. The thickness of the material means that it absorbs sweat well an doesn't stick to me.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 10-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #35
WilliB
Japan

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote: View Post
I prefer a judogi myself. We do do some shoulder grabs where it's handy, and I like the extra padding it gives like Chris said.

I actually even like the judogi in the summer. The thickness of the material means that it absorbs sweat well an doesn't stick to me.

kvaak
Pauliina
Not arguing, but do you really practise Judo throws that would rip a Karate gi to shreds eventually, like tai-otoshi and seoi-nage? We don´t. And for the normal Aikido label grabs, the Karate gi is strong enough, no problem.

You are right about the sweat, though. The Karate gi is more comfortable in summer, until it gets completely soaked. Then it feels yucki. A bummer either way.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #36
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

I like the thicker fabric better... I do own a karate gi (very light one) and it feels kinda flimsy to me. Other impertant point: judo gi have kneepads, karate gi don't! And those are really good for all the rolling. Also, I believe that judo trousers give you more freedom for rolls etc - they're shorter and wider that the karate ones.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #37
Pauliina Lievonen

Netherlands

Quote:
Willi Brix wrote: View Post
Not arguing, but do you really practise Judo throws that would rip a Karate gi to shreds eventually, like tai-otoshi and seoi-nage? We don´t. And for the normal Aikido label grabs, the Karate gi is strong enough, no problem.
Well, no, not something that would rip the keikogi to shreds. But I have dojomates with karate gi (some people in our dojo do wear them) and it doesn't give such a nice grip. So as uke it's also easier to work with a judo gi IMO. Just my personal preference.

I have sewn extra ties to all my keikogi tops at some point or another, and they have all been ripped off again. So that gives you some indication of our practice perhaps. Or just my sewing skills.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 10-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #38
nuxie

United_States

Well one thing about the karate gi I am wearing now is it is a bit light fabric and during stretches I feel as if I am advertising my undies It looks to me that the Judo gi's have a longer top and I do like the idea of the padded knees. A longer top means that it wont bunch up and come un-tucked from the belt as easy( saves me from having to constantly pull my gi down and adjust it)

Yes it gets very very very cold here in Southern Indiana in the winter time. In Hap Ki Do we used to also wear shoes that were very flexible and made of thin fabric.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #39
WilliB
Japan

Quote:
Well one thing about the karate gi I am wearing now is it is a bit light fabric and during stretches I feel as if I am advertising my undies It looks to me that the Judo gi's have a longer top and I do like the idea of the padded knees.
About the padded knees, the extra fabric layer in the judo gi does not make much of a difference. Most of the older folks here use kneepads (like for volleyball) under the gi anyway, I think it is a good idea for younger folks too.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #40
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I think it is just personal preference. I prefer the judo style gi (even in the summer). I like the weight, the way they feel and they do soak up sweat nice. At one point in time, Chiba sensei would only allow people to wear judo style gi. As for the judo pants, I think the extra layer helps with durability with all the suwariwaza. I would go through pants a lot faster if I didn't have that extra layer (unless you get really thick canvas karate pants). Either way, whatever your sensei says comes first, then your personal preference comes into play.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #41
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

I bought my first Judo gi in 1956, it cost me £4, that was a lot of money in those days. It was value for money as it is still good to this day...It was the gi I wore for a demonstration by Kenshiro Abbe Sensei in front of Lady Baden Powell at the BJC National Championships in 1964, a knife attack made a neat hole in the gi, I recently gave the gi to my students in New Mexico as a souvenir.
They are like an overcoat in the summer but never seem to wear out.
Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Old 10-22-2010, 02:20 AM   #42
Randall Lim
Dojo: Tendoryu Aikido Singapore
Singapore

Quote:
Howdy all!

I see that in Aikido that everyone wears Hakama pants and a Judo top. I have looked at these on internet and are a bit pricey

At what rank etc do you start to wear these items? Also since the people I am training with so far are also newbies like me (exept sensei) is there a belt I should be wearing? I notice one of the firrst ranks is a white belt. So should I hold off wearing a white belt until it is earned? I have been just wearing a normal white Karate gi no belt so far. I am only a couple months into training .

Thanks for the info!
Mary
In my club (Tendoryu Aikido), a Hakama may be worn by any adult who has passed his/her first grading (6th Kyu). Gentlemen may choose between a black one & a dark blue one, while ladies have an additional choice of dark Maroon.

In my club, there are two classes of Hakama to choose from:

(1) Made-in-China Cotton (US$50)

(2) Made-in-Japan Cotton-Silk (US$100)

As for the Gi top, we are flexible. I personally wear a thein Karate Gi top, while some of my club-mates wear thick Judo Gis, while others wear those in between (medium thick).

As for the belt, we all wear belts, be it novice or not. Any white Karate, Judo etc belt will do. But I personally prefer a Karate belt because it is softer & more comfortable.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #43
nuxie

United_States

Just a little update on here. I finally broke down and paid the big bucks for the judo gi.. Oh lordie I love it already.. It stays put even when it gets crazy. I love how the top is longer in the torso.. Of course I had to do some hardcore hemming of the arms and legs to get it to fit my short self. Well worth the money. Thanks everyone for your input on this. I am now going to keep my eyeballs peeled on ebay for a reasonably priced Hakama to buy myself for Christmas. Although I prob wont wear it until 2nd rank. Now I am wondering is black the only color permitted or can I got with hot pink ? JK but I do see a wide variety of colors and styles.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #44
Pauliina Lievonen

Netherlands

I own a hot pink hakama. But I'm not allowed on the mat with it.

Pauliina
Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #45
kewms

Quote:
Just a little update on here. I finally broke down and paid the big bucks for the judo gi.. Oh lordie I love it already.. It stays put even when it gets crazy. I love how the top is longer in the torso.. Of course I had to do some hardcore hemming of the arms and legs to get it to fit my short self. Well worth the money. Thanks everyone for your input on this. I am now going to keep my eyeballs peeled on ebay for a reasonably priced Hakama to buy myself for Christmas. Although I prob wont wear it until 2nd rank. Now I am wondering is black the only color permitted or can I got with hot pink ? JK but I do see a wide variety of colors and styles.
Make sure you get one that's intended for martial arts training. One designed as ordinary (or formal) clothing probably won't hold up well.

Blue and black are the most common colors. You might check with your instructor before you put down the money, though, especially if you're considering a non-standard color.

Katherine
Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #46
reyne caritativo
Dojo: aikido philippines
Philippines

Hi to all,
I've read that article in Saotome Sensei's book about O'sensei allowing all aikidokas to wear a hakama. My first sensei also allowed us kyu grade aikidokas to wear one during practice. When I was transferred to another city for my work in an airline company, I joined a dojo wherein the sensei only allows a yudansha to wear a hakama during keiko, so I ended up wearing a gi without a hakama for practice training. But this was not a problem for me, since my interest was on my training and not on what I will be wearing for practice. Wearing a hakama during that time was a status symbol on this dojo and this status was to be earned by training regularly. When I became a yudansha, wearing a hakama means proving yourself that you are worth wearing it. If you are really serious in your aikido training, you can buy a hakama even though you are still in your kyu rank and make this a goal that you have to pursue.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #47
Rob Watson
United_States

It doesn't look like anyone answered the question about when to buy a hakama...Never buy a hakama. It should be a gift presented by someone who loves you.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #48
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
It doesn't look like anyone answered the question about when to buy a hakama...Never buy a hakama. It should be a gift presented by someone who loves you.
I love me enough to buy myself a hak, and I love my friends and family so much that I wont ask them to put out that much money. Besides, I need to make sure it fits right, might as well just pay for it, too. Too much hassle for my peeps.

Hard to find a decent one for < $100 bucks, if that. Don't go for those Century Ebay specials, they wont hold up well. Go for Iwata, Tozando, etc.

When is Bujin coming back?!?!?!?
Old 11-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #49
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote: View Post
I own a hot pink hakama. But I'm not allowed on the mat with it.

Pauliina
Hot pink, wow! You are welcome to wear it if you ever visit my dojo.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru