Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti
YouTube: Mori Shihan

I just discovered this guy on youtube, and I became an instant fan.
I would like to have some informations about Mori Shihan.
How does he call his foot pinning technique? It's my favorite.

http://youtu.be/ugsS2_Z0wpA
Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: YouTube: Mori Shihan

http://www.yoshinkan.info/index.php?pageID=Sensei
http://www.yoshinkan.info/index.php?pageID=History
Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Haiti

Ah, thank you, Seven, I had lost hope. I will share this with the other members of my dojo, this video made quite an impression.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

"Takeno Sensei's technique felt very strong and sharp, but Master Shioda Sensei executed his technique so swiftly I hardly felt anything but one movement, then all the muscles in my body were locked instantly. It felt like a vibration went through the whole body, which was being controlled by this little old man, though I didn't feel any pain. The weight he applied before he threw was so intense it felt like I had weights dropped on me a second before my whole body collapsed"

That's Aiki!

Alex
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Haiti

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
"Takeno Sensei's technique felt very strong and sharp, but Master Shioda Sensei executed his technique so swiftly I hardly felt anything but one movement, then all the muscles in my body were locked instantly. It felt like a vibration went through the whole body, which was being controlled by this little old man, though I didn't feel any pain. The weight he applied before he threw was so intense it felt like I had weights dropped on me a second before my whole body collapsed"

That's Aiki!

Alex
Indeed. Also, while I knew that the uchi deshi life was not easy, I never imaginded that it was so taxing both physically and mentally. I would not survive something like that, and I know very few people who would accept it, and yet, this constant and exhausting state of awareness paid off beautifully on the mat.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Mishll
Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Brisbane

I shall ask Sensei for you what he calls his toe pinning. He hasn't tried it on me yet, luckily.

Michelle
Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Haiti

Quote:
Michelle Braddon wrote: View Post
I shall ask Sensei for you what he calls his toe pinning. He hasn't tried it on me yet, luckily.

Michelle
What is it like, training with him? Is he as hard on his students as Master Shioda was with him?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
Mishll
Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Brisbane

He's really awesome! Sort of strict about the etiquette, being Japanese and all, but he's very patient with beginners like myself and doesn't mind if we make etiquette mistakes. I've learned so far, if he's staring at you, you've probably got the wrong foot in front. Although he always looks really strict and mean in the demonstrations, he's not. And he never uses women as his uke. Which is a tad disappointing. I think he believes it's not proper 'Budo'. He's altered his lessons a lot for us poor Aussies, who, according to Sensei have weak knees, so we don't do much of the knee walking,(shikko? i'm still learning the language. Still can't remember left and right) and more weapons stuff, so he doesn't seem really hung up on tradition either. I've only been training at his dojo for two weeks. So I shall tell you more the moment I've found out. And apparently he's scared of Christmas beetles...
Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
Krystal Locke
United_States

He doesn't use women as uke?

I'd be far more than a tad disappointed.

Quote:
Michelle Braddon wrote: View Post
He's really awesome! Sort of strict about the etiquette, being Japanese and all, but he's very patient with beginners like myself and doesn't mind if we make etiquette mistakes. I've learned so far, if he's staring at you, you've probably got the wrong foot in front. Although he always looks really strict and mean in the demonstrations, he's not. And he never uses women as his uke. Which is a tad disappointing. I think he believes it's not proper 'Budo'. He's altered his lessons a lot for us poor Aussies, who, according to Sensei have weak knees, so we don't do much of the knee walking,(shikko? i'm still learning the language. Still can't remember left and right) and more weapons stuff, so he doesn't seem really hung up on tradition either. I've only been training at his dojo for two weeks. So I shall tell you more the moment I've found out. And apparently he's scared of Christmas beetles...
Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Alex Megann
United Kingdom

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
He doesn't use women as uke?

I'd be far more than a tad disappointed.
This is, unfortunately, something else my own teacher has in common with Mori Sensei, in addition to the Shioda "toe pin"...

Alex
Old 08-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
This is, unfortunately, something else my own teacher has in common with Mori Sensei, in addition to the Shioda "toe pin"...

Alex
Is it a yosh thing? I cant think of any aikikai folks who have not used women as uke. I dont get out of te house much, though.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Is it a yosh thing?
No. It's his preference. Women in my dojo ukemi for me. Takeno Sensei's, 9th Dan, top student is female and takes a lot of ukemi for him.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #13
Alex Megann
United Kingdom

Quote:
Is it a yosh thing? I cant think of any aikikai folks who have not used women as uke. I dont get out of te house much, though.
Sensei has been in the Aikikai for nearly forty years! His pickiness about his ukes started about fifteen years ago, and it's definitely nothing to do with his Yoshinkan origins.

The only Aikikai teacher I have heard of who has an actual policy of not practising with women (actually I gather he doesn't even allow women as members in his dojo) is in Florida. He is quite clear about his reasons - whether anyone else agrees or disagrees with them is apparently not something that bothers him.

Alex
Old 08-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Just because people are good at (masters of) aikido does not necessarily make them well rounded human beings, paragons of virtue, able to get on with people, politically correct or gender neutral. We are all responsible for choosing our teachers and for deciding what it is we want to learn from said teachers!

My main teacher (Inaba sensei), is very encouraging (particularly for a Japanese man - perhaps this is me showing my biases!) to female practitioners and teachers. However, his preference for embu (demonstrations) is NOT that a (typically larger) male practitioner throws around a (typically smaller) female practitioner. The other way around is fine by him! That said, I have seen him take ukemi in kenjutsu from female practitioners for an embu, particularly with an iaito or shinken - the use of weapons evens things up - sharpness, speed and focus are the key elements.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #15
SteliosPapadakis
Dojo: aikido-dojo-nippos
Greece

Quote:
Robert Cowham wrote: View Post
Just because people are good at (masters of) aikido does not necessarily make them well rounded human beings, paragons of virtue, able to get on with people, politically correct or gender neutral. We are all responsible for choosing our teachers and for deciding what it is we want to learn from said teachers!
Very well put.