Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #76
DH
United_States
Re: Feelings on "open mat" policy

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
Others probably know the answer from your previous posts but for me and the other newbies on the board: What is the ultimate force in martial arts in your opinion?

...rab
Mr. Shanshiry
Aiki is a result of manipulating energy between two people- from tempering and changing your body from within. It is an old concept that existed in India, China and in Japan. The easiest way to conceptualize it is to imagine that someone could have trained their body to remain in balance with contradicting forces held within it, through the use of bone and tendon and fascia more than muscle and that your breath could be trained to enhance that sense of being suspended in balance. Now imagine that someone pushing or pulling on you doesn't really feel like much to you but they have to exert a lot of effort to get nowhere. Now imagine your body were so connected that were you to move even a small amount the power differential between you and other normally trained people was so overwhelming that they felt they were either magnetically drawn to you by their grip or they were manipulated and thrown or locked. Now add waza to that equation.
While it is defined by different "ways" to use it, different arts and their techniques etc. Teachers and students alike from traditional arts like Aikido, Daito ryu, Taiji, Bagua, are noting that for some strange reason it feels like the best in their arts. Others of a more aggressive breed; Judo, MMA, BJJ are noting it is very practical and powerful in freestyle grappling-if you meet someone who knows how to use it in that venue...not everyone does!
Of course it is far more complicated than that but hopefully it helps paint a picture
Cheers
Dan
Old 05-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #77
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Mr. Harden,

That was a deep and fascinating commentary on Aiki that I will have to ponder. It will probably be many, many years before I understand all of it but it hints towards fascinating depths.

In your previuos post, you mentioned that Aiki was the penultimate force. Being that Aiki is the penultimate force, I was wondering what in your estimation is the ultimate force? I'm not sure if you answered that or if it went over my head. Apologies in advance if the latter is the case.

...rab
Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #78
DH
United_States

I did skip that didn't I? I said penultimate because I do not believe that aiki is enough. It is "nearly" enough though. But serious fighters are a great equalizer. particularly stand off headhunters and weapons. I believe the ultimate is having the experience and skill to use aiki in anything. Aiki and the ability to use it freestyle in any venue -together-make the ultimate. With multiple weapons, knives and twin sticks and in training in serious grappling; full force with strikes and kicks. You have to reach a stage where you have serious controling power in anything you do. And that takes further research and practice.
I don't think its a coincidence that men with aiki power (internal power) enjoyed weapons and enjoyed mixing it up. The best way...the only way... to do that is with an open mat policy and on other peoples mats, not just your own.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 05-28-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #79
DH
United_States

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
Mr. Harden,

That was a deep and fascinating commentary on Aiki that I will have to ponder. It will probably be many, many years before I understand all of it but it hints towards fascinating depths.

In your previuos post, you mentioned that Aiki was the penultimate force. Being that Aiki is the penultimate force, I was wondering what in your estimation is the ultimate force? I'm not sure if you answered that or if it went over my head. Apologies in advance if the latter is the case.

...rab
Anent many years to understand:
That would be unfortunate since I and others can not only explain it to you but teach it to you over a few years. And you would continue to grow and grow; step by step and with each step noticable. What may be of interest to you, is that many in the arts that like to claim "aiki" as their provinance would then be asking you "what" you are doing "how" you are doing it since they will no longer be able to manage you when you choose to move. Many, even some of their best, may be stumped by you.
It's only a mystery if those who hold the information choose to leave it that way
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 05-28-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #80
Tom H.
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Anent many years to understand:
That would be unfortunate since I and others can not only explain it to you but teach it to you over a few years.
++

Don't buy into the roundabout "twenty-years-of-waza and a good day at the dojo" method of training aiki. It's a great way to pass time, but why not use a systematic approach that trains aiki directly?

I started from about the least martial and most under-developed body you can imagine. Dan has been working with me for less than three years, and already people who knew the old me are saying stuff like, "you have a new body". I am still weaker than I want to be; I still have many negatives habits and deficiencies, but the progress is undeniable, and "pretty soon" I hope to get additional validation in, e.g. an external judo environment.

Oh, it's not something magic about this Dan fellow, either. Akuzawa Minoru is getting similar results with different methods in Tokyo. There are probably other groups out there.

Last edited by Tom H. : 05-28-2009 at 07:21 PM.