Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Candice Beginner
From Yoshinkan to Aikikai! A journey of discovery.

Hello Aikidoka!

I wanted to introduce myself. I am new to this forum, having not visited here in over 7 years, or more. For some reason, when I entered what I thought was my old UserName, it did not work, nor did my password.

Funny that, after requesting a new password, and receiving an email indicating that I should reset it, the system "gave" me my name, "Candice Beginner". Funny, in that my first name IS Candice. Is that "aiki psychic"? Ha ha!

In any case, I have practiced Yoshinkan for over a decade. I attained NiDan in this style over 4 years ago. As a woman, my most inspiring teacher in Yoshinkan was Chizuko Matsuo Sensei. She still remains, to this day, an emulation of perfection, strength and beauty in her style of execution and teachings.

Unfortunately, over the past 4 years, I've had major health issues, including a recurring symptom of severe vertigo, which included diffuculty in speaking clearly. Weird, and scary.

They thought I had MS, then Lupus, then a whole lot of other things. Finally, after 3 years of investigation, during various tests, an MRI indicated a brain anuerism. Got that fixed in Sept/08. What a ride, and I'm still recovering parts of my memory, and functioning. I still have bouts of vertigo, unrelated to that fortunate, but unrelated discovery.

I am so incredibly lucky to be alive. Through the past number of months, I deliberated on whether I should return to aikido. Interestingly, at that time, an Aikikai dojo opened in my city, which I "accidentally found" on kijiji, while looking for CD shelves! For some reason, I typed into the search, "aikido", and voila!

I have decided to switch to this style, due to my original interest in this style and a more general focus on "ki" in a way that matches my personality, and my stage of life at this time.

At the time I joined Yoshinkan, there were no Aikikai dojos in the town where I live. I will always cherish my memories training with all my Yoshinka aikidoka friends, but am now "entering" and moving into a "pivot" from a different direction.

I am NOW, once again.... a Beginner. I start at my new dojo on June 1, and looking forward to "emptying my mind to receive new teachings".

Funny, because I really like Yoshinkan, and will always do so, but I feel drawn to Aikikai now, and will enthusiastically embrace the teachings, as brought down via the Ueshiba lineage.

I truly feel like a beginner, and now know, that I always will be.... a "beginners mind" .....

OSU! Happy training!

Candice
Old 05-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: From Yoshinkan to Aikikai! A journey of discovery.

Welcome! I'm very glad your health problems were "fixable" !

I've changed dojos/styles/instructors over the years as my goals and my health both changed. Best of luck and hope to read more posts from you in the future.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Osu!

You seem to epitomize the Japanese saying "fall down 7 times, get up 8, life begins from now".

Best wishes to you in your journey,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Brighter and better days yet to be lived...

Train well,

Mickey
Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Welcome back Candice. I know Matsuo Chizoku Sensei and have had the pleasure of training with her. Great teacher and overall great person.

Enjoy the journey. I think when it's all said and done, you'll find more in common than different.

Steven Miranda
Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
akiy

Hi Candice,

I'm glad that you're doing better. Welcome to AikiWeb and welcome back to aikido.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Voitokas

United_States

Welcome back! It's so lucky that they found your aneurism!

I am not an expert