Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2004, 04:44 AM   #1
Rafie Dobbs
Training in Judo at the same time?

Hello all. Im still very new in the Aikido world and I have been enjoying it greatly and wish to make it a part of my life and to never stop with it. How ever I am also very interested in Judo so im curious if doing Judo at the same time as Aikido is an okay thing to do?

If I were to do both my week would be 1 day Judo 2 days Aikido.

Please any thoughts on this matter is very much sought for.

PS. The AikiWeb forum is a great community.

Cheers!
Old 08-26-2004, 05:23 AM   #2
Ian Upstone
Re: Training in Judo at the same time?

Hi Rafie

Just thought I'd throw in my opinion... Personally, I'd say it is best to get a thorough grounding in one art first, then perhaps look at another further down the line, otherwise you will probably end up learning body habits from both, and ending up doing neither well!

You don't actually mention your experience in judo - If you are new to that as well, I'd do both for a short while to find out what suits you best - then make the decision to stick with that one, until you feel you can (or indeed if you then want to) try another art.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:32 AM   #3
Rafie Dobbs

Thank you for the response!

Trying both to see what suits me best sounds like a great idea I think this is probably the best thing to do.

Thank you again for the help.

Cheers
Old 08-26-2004, 06:09 AM   #4
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

See Tomiki-sensei. He was training in both Judo and Aikido for many years but kept the two art separte. There has been many different treads on the subject in the past. Check the archives.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-26-2004, 07:48 AM   #5
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States

I am going to do Judo as well.

When you have Japanese arts that all stem from forms of Jujutsu, the footwork is so similar that you wont have an issue.

Im starting Judo next month with my Aikido, and I do Jujitsu..

Devon Natario
Instructor
Northwest Jujitsu
Old 08-26-2004, 08:15 AM   #6
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

hmm. I did some Judo after starting aikido but what put me off is the competitve aspect. With someone who is similarly matched it is easy to resist being thrown if you don't attack (thus in Judo you loose points for not committing to an attack). I found this conflicted with my aikido because it felt like I was training my body to be unbalanced and forceful.

Try both - see which you get most out of; (remembering that modern Judo has very little to do with self-defence, but it has the excitement of competition).

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 08-26-2004, 08:23 AM   #7
jsuaikido
Dojo: Jacksonville State University

Learn as much as you can...from everyone you can! I study both, and I found that they aren't so different. Both have merits and shortcomings. Learn as much as you can!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:46 AM   #8
Ian Upstone

I agree that it is possible to train in more than one art. I regularly train with a judo teacher who has no trouble training in both - but I still maintain it's best to understand the basics in one art first if you have little or no experience in either. Tomiki was at least yondan before he even met Morihei Ueshiba, so I don't think he'd have had too much trouble separating the two arts.

If starting both at the same time I think the body habits developed would conflict with each other too much - but maybe that's just me!

'A man who tries to catch two rabbits' and all that...
Old 08-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #9
Aristeia
New Zealand

I agree. A bunch of us from my dojo have recently started doing some judo. Aikido grades range from 5th kyu to nidan. For the more experienced of us it's a great reminder of what it's like to be a beginner struggling to put together 25 different subtleties to get a technique out the other end. The less experienced though are struggling a little to keep their progression going in both arts. Contrary to what a previous poster has said, I find the footwork and body movement in Judo to be *very* different to Aikido. My aikido experience is making it harder to pick up, and the 5th kyu's aikido footwork is becoming less fluid as a result of the Judo. The Ju and Aiki concepts are similar, the body mechanics used to acheive them, not so much. I would reccommend concentrating on one or the other for 1-2 years.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 08-26-2004, 06:53 PM   #10
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

I do Judo to supplement my Aikido. I find absolutely no conflict between the two and in fact see a synergistic effect. My attitude in both places is exactly the same and it is entirely possible to do good Judo randori without worrying about shiai rules (the Judo is too sport orientated is a red herring). As long as you maintain safe practice that is all that really counts.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido