Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-14-2001, 09:23 AM   #1
andrea anzalone
Dojo: Scuola di Aiki-Do Tadashi Abe
home made hakama

in which web site can i buy an home made hakama?
regards
andrea
Old 08-14-2001, 11:25 AM   #2
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Question Re: home made hakama

Quote:
Originally posted by andrea anzalone
regards
andrea
Unless there is someone selling a hakama that they've made themselves, I doubt you would find anything.

However, if you sew or know someone who'd like to make a hakama for you ( Thanks Mom), you can find a hakama pattern at Round Earth Publishing.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-16-2001, 04:52 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Ted!

Did your mom use the Round Earth pattern ? I have made two hakama's myself without a pattern (your right - not an easy task) simply by copying a friends store-bought hakama and I think I could do better with a good pattern. If you used the one from Round Earth then what did you think about it ?

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-16-2001, 01:03 PM   #4
tedehara

Question Mom's Hakama

Quote:
Originally posted by JJF
Hi Ted!

Did your mom use the Round Earth pattern ? I have made two hakama's myself without a pattern (your right - not an easy task) simply by copying a friends store-bought hakama and I think I could do better with a good pattern. If you used the one from Round Earth then what did you think about it ?
Sorry, I just used Mom as an example of someone who can be recruited to sew a hakama. I'm using a hand-me-down hakama from my dojo.

If you're wondering about the pattern, I can't help you there. You can contact Round Earth Publishing or try putting together their Budo Bear. Since you've already put together 2 hakamas without a pattern, you probably would be just better off buying the pattern.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-16-2001, 01:15 PM   #5
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Re: home made hakama

Quote:
Originally posted by andrea anzalone
regards
andrea
...the closest thing I know of is buying a Bu Jin hakama. They're not home made, but I assume they're hand made!
They're custom made to be sure! Check out their site:
www.bujindesign.com

Regards,

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 08-17-2001, 03:47 AM   #6
JJF

Denmark
Re: Mom's Hakama

Quote:
Originally posted by tedehara
Sorry, I just used Mom as an example of someone who can be recruited to sew a hakama.
Okay! Actually my mom did lend a hand with both of my hakama's
Quote:
I'm using a hand-me-down hakama from my dojo.
That's a nice tradition. I'm not yet allowed to wear a hakama in aikido-class so my old hakama has been used as a 'loaner' for those who pass sankyu until they can get one from a store.

I have been planning to create a sewing pattern for a hakama, but I know little (nothing !) about how to do that, and my time is limited so I will just pass on one very important lesson that I learned the hard way: ALLWAYS remember to wash the fabric BEFORE sewing the hakama. The hot-pant's style of hakama is probably not getting into style for while.....

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 10-07-2001, 10:38 AM   #7
Anne
Dojo: Kiel University/VfL Fosite Helgoland
Smile home/hand made hakama

I've been thinking about making my own hakamas for a while now and started looking for a pattern. Since there are already several people interested in getting a properly fitting hakama, a general pattern would be best. Unfortuneately, the Folkwear Pattern seems to be out of print and is nowhere available. Searches on the internet showed only sketches of varying quality.
So, if someone has a pattern and would like to share it, I would be very grateful. Any suggestions on sewing a hakama are welcome, too.

Thanks a lot,
Anne

"You have to do difficult things to grow." (Shoji Nishio Sensei)
Old 10-07-2001, 11:16 AM   #8
tedehara

Re: home/hand made hakama

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne
I've been thinking about making my own hakamas for a while now and started looking for a pattern. Since there are already several people interested in getting a properly fitting hakama, a general pattern would be best. Unfortuneately, the Folkwear Pattern seems to be out of print and is nowhere available. Searches on the internet showed only sketches of varying quality.
So, if someone has a pattern and would like to share it, I would be very grateful. Any suggestions on sewing a hakama are welcome, too.

Thanks a lot,
Anne
Maybe your best source of information is right on this website! Take a look at http://www.aikiweb.com/misc/pattern.html

About Ki
About You
Old 10-07-2001, 11:37 AM   #9
Anne
Smile general pattern

I already looked up Round Earth and they only offer pattern for particular sizes. I would like to get something like a general pattern that isn't too difficult to adjust for several people.

Anne

Old 10-09-2001, 02:19 AM   #10
JJF

Denmark
Maybe we should make some kind of 'seminar' on how to make a hakama. Everybody bring a couple of meters of fabric, a role of thread and a sewing machine.....

I have made both of mine just by looking at a store-bought hakama that i borrowed from a friend (he wouldn't let me tear it apart for measuring though ). Maybe a good start would be to disassemble an old worn out hakama and use it for a basic pattern. The tricky part though is to figure out how the pieces should be varied in size and shape to make hakamas of different sizes.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 10-09-2001, 02:34 AM   #11
Anne
I was thinking about giving one of the patterns I found on the internet a chance - on a small scale first, to see how it works out and where to make alterations.

Maybe we can compare our results ?!?
on the next Nishio Easter Camp....

Anne

Old 10-09-2001, 03:14 AM   #12
JJF

Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by Anne
I was thinking about giving one of the patterns I found on the internet a chance - on a small scale first, to see how it works out and where to make alterations.

Maybe we can compare our results ?!?
on the next Nishio Easter Camp....

Anne
That could be fun! I will try to remember to bring my hakama (I don't usually wear it as I am still just a 5. kyu)

Could you share some links for the patterns you have found ? I have been toying with the idea of sewing a hakama for my 2 year old daughter. It could be SO cute....

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Old 10-09-2001, 06:48 AM   #13
Anne
Smile pattern links

This are the links that look promising:

http://www.pitt.edu/~echo/Dagorhir/Hakama/

http://luxnova.home.mindspring.com/s...me/hakama.html

http://sarcasm.fanfic.org/hakamapattern.html

Another good one is in the file section of the sca-jml group at Yahoo Groups. It has the most detailed pattern and instructions. There are many other patterns for traditional japanese clothing as well.

Have fun,
Anne

Last edited by Anne : 10-09-2001 at 10:01 AM.

Old 10-13-2001, 01:03 PM   #14
Anne
Hello all,

despite having lots of other things to do , I couldn't resist any longer and gave the pattern you can find under the first link of my previous post a try today.

I wanted to try it on an small scale first so I enlarged it by 100%.
It took me about two hours to assemble it and it turned out to be very easy ( ) though I had to change some details, e.g. the direction of the pleats.

The result looks exactly like my hakama, so I will try it full scale soon.

yours,
Anne

Old 11-09-2001, 12:06 PM   #15
Anne
I'm now close to finishing my first hakama based on the Dagorhir Pattern (link no. 1).

Below I have attached some additional instructions (measurement, pleats, koshiita, belts, etc.) and some illustrations.

Have fun,
Anne
Attached Files
File Type: txt hakama pattern additional instructions.txt (2.4 KB, 871 views)

Last edited by Anne : 11-09-2001 at 12:20 PM.

Old 11-09-2001, 12:08 PM   #16
Anne
O.K, here are the illustrations.

Anne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hakama pattern illustrations.gif
Views:	986
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	9  

Old 11-10-2001, 08:25 AM   #17
Anne
I've just had a second look and noticed that attaching the text file kicked out all of the original formatting. This makes it look a bit confusing. If you like to get the original file with all of the pictures in the correct places, too, just send me an email.

Anne

Old 11-12-2001, 03:30 AM   #18
Anne
By the way, I would still like to get an original pattern, especially the one from Folkwear.

Any help would be appreciated,

Anne

Old 11-12-2001, 03:20 PM   #19
Niadh
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido, MA
Anne,
Did you try the link to earthguild for the folkwear pattern? I ordered it from their site, granted this was a year or so ago. I can't find it on the web site now, or even the catalog they sent me so I could look up the right number & a friend has the actual pattern, but even if they no longer carry it you might love their site or catalog. Here goes
http://www.earthguild.com/products/folkwear/fw1.htm
BTW, the pattern from folkwear is more a description of how to take the correct measurements than a traditional (i.e. McCalls type) pattern. Somewhere I may still have a link to different modifications that some people recommend to the folkwear pattern for use in Aikido.
Niadh

Last edited by Niadh : 11-12-2001 at 03:23 PM.

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers
Old 11-12-2001, 03:40 PM   #20
Anne
Smile

Niadh,
thanks for the link, I think I'll send them an email and ask if they still have the pattern.
I would really like to see some 'original' patterns since mine involved quite some 'try and error' and guessing since I didn't want / dare to dissolve my hakama...

Anne

Old 11-12-2001, 09:14 PM   #21
akiy

The pattern that Ted pointed out above at [url=http://www.round-earth.com/patterns.html"}Round Earth Publishing[/url] is the one that owner Carol Shifflet derived from the Folkwear pattern. She found that the Folkwear pattern which she tried using was more for a costume rather than aikido use.

I do have the Folkwear pattern somewhere (probably lost deep in the closet or in storage) but never did use it...

Maybe you can try e-mailing Carol at Round Earth? She's wonderfully easy to talk to and what she sells on her site is good stuff. (And, no, despite the fact that I was at a seminar with her last weekend, I don't get commission or anything!)

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-13-2001, 03:15 AM   #22
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
What's the best material to use for a hakama? Something that is light and cool (I get very hot doing aikido!), but holds the creases well, would be good. (thin cotton?).

Also does everyone tend to go for a straight black? - I expect a Hawaian print hakama is not recommended (unless perhaps you're making a statement about the spread of aikido).

Ian
Old 11-13-2001, 06:54 AM   #23
Anne
Smile

Jun-
thanks, I will send Carol an email.

Even when patterns, like the one from Folkwear, just have measurement instructions I would like to get them because I calculated the whole pattern from my ankle to waist measurement and the proportions of the Dagorhir Pattern. It works well, when I measured some lines afterwards, deviation was less than 1/4 inch. But since there are already some people at my dojo who would like to get a new and better fitting hakama, I would like to be able to know where and how to measure for individual patterns.

Ian-

If you use a light material, you'll probably have to sew the pleats (inner and outer ones) full lenght to keep them well. Additionally, I would double sew and strenghten some sensitive areas as the side v-openings. I've already seen some spectacular "undressing" when people caught their foot in a light hakama during ukemi and ripped it.

Be careful with heavy cloth. Since you end up having multiple layers on the top pf the hakama, make sure your sewing machine can handle it (try jeans or leather needles when having problems).

As for colors and prints, I think every dark color is o.K. I saw some girls in beautiful dark red hakamas on seminars and am thinking about making myself one in dark violet since it's my favourite color.
And..um..er.. yes, my new hakama has a unusual print but it's a special running gag at our dojo, soooo....And since it's on the light side, too (I thought that that would make it easier for a first try....WRONG!!), I'll probably use it only at the iaido lessons and the beach training.

Anne

Old 11-13-2001, 08:03 PM   #24
Niadh
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido, MA
I'm Looking for a nice medium weight, burgundy denim I once used for another project. The Sensei in Our dojo encourages different colors, I wonder how he would feel about a tartan hakama?
Niadh

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers
Old 11-17-2001, 07:24 AM   #25
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States
hand made hakama

My wife and I had two hakama made locally by a seamstress for our wedding.... Yes, it was a "different" kind of ceremony.
We found a Japanese "folk"pattern at a local fabric store, and purchased a high quality white cotton denim for the material.
We were able to use white for the wedding, and then dye them later to a dark blue for aikido.

The cut wasn't quite the same, as it wasn't a pattern for martial arts, so we had to work with the seamstress to make some adjustments, but the outcome was worth it, as they looked nice for the wedding and the heavy material will last for years on the mat.

I'm very interested in trying the budo bear out for my 2 year old neice's christmas present. My brother and sister-in-law both train in Aikido as well, so that would be fun.

-jon

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!