Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #51
ashe

Dojo: Tempe Arizona I Liq Chuan
United_States
Re: Who's got Internal Training and can and will teach it?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hey now!!
Look at you here on aikiweb.

Ashe, I think you should consider advertising one of Sam's seminars in the "Non Aikido martial traditions" section of the site you are on right now. While not directly related, I think many people would find Sam -very- interesting.
Looks like I will finally get down to train with him this winter.

Cheers
Dan
hey Dan!

yeah, i'll look around and see where to post them. trying to walk softly in someone elses house ya' know. didn't wanna come in like a bull in a china shop...

that's good that you're going to get a chance to go meet up with my Sifu. any idea when? our intensive training retreat is in february, so i should be there too about then.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
I could be wrong, of course, and I invite Ashe Higgs to come and meet up and show me the superior way. After all, I am just a student and I will enjoy learning from him.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
dude, what's your deal? i've been here for like 12 hours and you drop a challenge on me? for what offense?

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post
Hello Ashe,
Taking balance at a touch, eh? How long in till you can start learning to do that?
ILC looks very interesting and very powerful. You guys must have a lot of fun. .
re: taking balance on touch; depends of course on the relative attention levels of the two parties involved and the intensity level at which you're playing.

i certainly enjoy ILC!

the thing that i think people would find most interesting about ILC is how very clear and concise the curriculum and exercises are. Sifu has spent a HUGE amount of time trying to make sure the vocabulary is very precise. In fact, ILC in the form it's taught today is essentially and English language system, so there's not so much mumbo-jumbo to sort through.

Last edited by ashe : 10-19-2009 at 09:20 PM.

tiger at the gate
-----------------------
discipline, concentration & wisdom
Twitter-@luoyegongfu
Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #52
dps

Does anybody know about this guy, Sifu Rudy Curry Jr.?
He teaches in Hollis, NY and East Elmhurst, NY.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifurudy...22/xh4qAkCbp3A

His bio,
http://brothersofkuan.org/instructors.htm

His wewbsite,
http://brothersofkuan.org/

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #53
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Ashe Higgs wrote: View Post
dude, what's your deal? i've been here for like 12 hours and you drop a challenge on me? for what offense?
My mistake. I thought your comment on Rum Soaked Fist about me was meant to garner a response. Obviously you were thinking of someone else. However, I didn't issue a challenge... if you have a better way, I will be glad to learn from you.

Mike Sigman
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #54
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
the thing that i think people would find most interesting about ILC is how very clear and concise the curriculum and exercises are. Sifu has spent a HUGE amount of time trying to make sure the vocabulary is very precise. In fact, ILC in the form it's taught today is essentially and English language system, so there's not so much mumbo-jumbo to sort through.
There are a number of posts archived on AikiWeb that are very explicit how-to's and in English. Can you give us an example of the plain-spoken descriptions that Sam Chin gives, as a comparison?

Thanks.

Mike Sigman
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #55
dps

Re: Who's got IT and can and will teach it?

Quote:
Is there an emoticon for laughing till you pass out?

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #56
ashe

United_States

Quote:
However, I didn't issue a challenge... if you have a better way, I will be glad to learn from you.

Mike Sigman
my mistake. asking for "a lesson" is a traditional way of issuing challenges in Chinese martial arts.

we're not too far apart, so if we ever get the chance we can meet up and share our thoughts and get some training in. i always enjoy an opportunity to see where i can improve.

Quote:
T Can you give us an example of the plain-spoken descriptions that Sam Chin gives, as a comparison?

Thanks.

Mike Sigman
as i get time i'll be happy to look through the aikiweb archives, but i think i might find it difficult to draw direct comparisons since we have NO TECHNIQUE whatsoever, only drills, but the drills are designed to build that connection from hand to foot, to build up the connective tissue (ligaments, tendons and bones) and to develop high levels of concentration and awareness on yourself.

Last edited by ashe : 10-19-2009 at 10:05 PM.

tiger at the gate
-----------------------
Twitter-@luoyegongfu
Old 10-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #57
DH
United_States

Quote:
hey Dan!

yeah, i'll look around and see where to post them. trying to walk softly in someone elses house ya' know. didn't wanna come in like a bull in a china shop...

that's good that you're going to get a chance to go meet up with my Sifu. any idea when? our intensive training retreat is in february, so i should be there too about then..
Hey bud
I've had about a half dozen people tell me I reminded them of Sam's approach, another one just recently (when I'm not doing MMA style work with it -just crossing hands), that's why I am intrigued. I hear he will let you play as long as people are up front, open and not D______k's. Which I'm not.
I'll shoot you a PM to see if there are any particulars.
Does he incorporate breath training?

Cheers
Dan
Old 10-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #58
ashe

United_States

Quote:
Hey bud
I've had about a half dozen people tell me I reminded them of Sam's approach, another one just recently (when I'm not doing MMA style work with it -just crossing hands), that's why I am intrigued. I hear he will let you play as long as people are up front, open and not D______k's. Which I'm not.
I'll shoot you a PM to see if there are any particulars.
Does he incorporate breath training?

Cheers
Dan
Yeah Sifu always let's people touch, although that window may close soon-ish (within 5 years or so).

we do incorporate breath training. in fact i was recently opened up to a whole new level of it last weekend.

Sifu talks a lot about how "the breath conditions the body". the basic idea is to use the breath to propel force from the ming men.

in all honesty, this is the next level of breakthrough i need to make i think. of our 15 basic exercises, the tu'na breathing is my weakest and i believe is something holding me back from progressing to a much higher level then i am now, so i would rather not try to elaborate any more than that. i'll let you ask him about it directly when you see him.

tiger at the gate
-----------------------
Twitter-@luoyegongfu
Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #59
Andrew Prochnow
United_States

I want to play. This is starting to get good. Where and when is playtime?

Andrew Prochnow
Old 10-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #60
ashe

United_States

Lol. Not sure. You're in MA? If you wanna play with some of our guys we have Johnny Kuo in PA or anytime you're in the NYC or poughkeepsie area there's plenty of guys. Otherwise you'll have to head south to NC.
Starting nexty year or so we're going to start doing a lot more workshops domestically. (mostly we've been in eastern Europe).

tiger at the gate
-----------------------
Twitter-@luoyegongfu
Old 10-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #61
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
my mistake. asking for "a lesson" is a traditional way of issuing challenges in Chinese martial arts.
Except I didn't say that. "I will learn from you" is a wry but fair comment you make to someone who is claiming to know something.
Quote:
we're not too far apart, so if we ever get the chance we can meet up and share our thoughts and get some training in. i always enjoy an opportunity to see where i can improve.
I'll be happy to see what you can do.
Quote:
as i get time i'll be happy to look through the aikiweb archives, but i think i might find it difficult to draw direct comparisons since we have NO TECHNIQUE whatsoever, only drills, but the drills are designed to build that connection from hand to foot, to build up the connective tissue (ligaments, tendons and bones) and to develop high levels of concentration and awareness on yourself.
It only takes a moment to check out how developed someone is, so it would be interesting to what you've developed after... what? How long?

There are some ILQ guys on QiJin, BTW. They don't go in for trash-talking on QiJin though, I'll have to admit. I've met one or two guys who have studied with Sam Chin and some who have studied with some of the other teachers who were previously mentioned. A couple of valid questions are "who has good I.S. skills", but another important question is "who is teaching them effectively so that a students training time isn't dragged out forever?". Fair question, right? I always take those two things into account when people ask me if I recommend any given teacher.

Naturally, I don't want to trash talk any teacher since it's disrespectful and can also come back to haunt, but I am interested in having and giving honest evaluations to would-be students asking for my opinion. That's why I ask questions, visit people, and so on. I want to be in a position where I can give clinically accurate and honest answers.

FWIW

Mike Sigman
Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #62
DH
United_States

Quote:
Andrew Prochnow wrote: View Post

Andrew Prochnow
We can always go together Andy. My only interest is in Sam himself though. Maybe we can play with Sam and then go play with Howard and friends on Lon-g-..Island.
Then again if you are in for a road trip to Canada maybe we can hook up with Liu Cheng De next time he is in. He has some power and skill and is willing to play as well, as long as you keep it to just freestyle push hands, You have to leave your board shorts and 5 oz gloves at home!
Cheers
Dan
Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #63
DH
United_States

Quote:
Lol. Not sure. You're in MA? If you wanna play with some of our guys we have Johnny Kuo in PA or anytime you're in the NYC or poughkeepsie area there's plenty of guys. Otherwise you'll have to head south to NC.
Starting nexty year or so we're going to start doing a lot more workshops domestically. (mostly we've been in eastern Europe).
LOL, He's one of mine Ashe!
You'd love him. Big guy, very soft, he's been doing this stuff since he was a teenager and looooves to roll, loves to go to MMA and BJJ places, though he can play nice as well and just test power and stand up skills in the traditional sense. I'm not talking strength here; I'm talking soft power and the ability to create change. I think he would be happier feeling Sam himself or maybe Dave.
Cheers
Dan
Old 10-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #64
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Andrew Prochnow wrote: View Post
Andy,

I was going to say if you're in MA, you should just go see Dan.

And then I remembered you from Dan's seminar!

Thanks for all the help. Hope all is well with the family and in Iraq.

Best to you all.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #65
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Big guy, very soft, he's been doing this stuff since he was a teenager and looooves to roll, loves to go to MMA and BJJ places, though he can play nice as well and just test power and stand up skills in the traditional sense. I'm not talking strength here; I'm talking soft power and the ability to create change.
Excellent description of a very big and very unusual guy. Very interesting power. You did a great job with Andy.

Best.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #66
DH
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Excellent description of a very big and very unusual guy. Very interesting power. You did a great job with Andy.

Best.

David
Ghosty, issuing, and then bam, knockout power (trust me, you don't want to ever get hit by him!). Try throwing him-it's freaking hilarious; he sort of stands there looking at people with that distracted and bemused half smile of his! He's not much for traditonal stuff though, I can't get him to go down that road.

As you saw and heard; he speaks so softly and so well and has an open spirit about him. Then again, he is seeing what I have seen, There is no reason to "talk smack" to anyone from the TMA, when after crossing hands with them "on their turf" he's not the one continually being "surprised," now is he?
In fact, I guess loking at the TMA from his perspective; internal power in MMA, why would he ever want to do a traditonal art?
Imagine though, David, he's all of 28 yrs old. He's only just begun. Argh!!
Cheers
Dan
Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #67
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Ernesto Lemke wrote: View Post
PS
As I mentioned on another thread, I find it remarkable the focus on IT/IP/IS is mainly concentrated in/on the US. When I read the list, with the exception of two instructors, the remaining individuals all live in the US and the majority of them rarely visit Europe. In fact, no European resident is noted on that list, or African, Russian, South American etc. for that matter.
By all means send in some names! I know there are a great number of folks willing to travel far and wide to get IT.

For my own self needs I'm trying to find folks a bit closer to home so I can get regular 'hands on' time. A seminar here and there is good if that is all one can manage but regular training with immediate correction will be far superior.

Thanks

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #68
DH
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
By all means send in some names! I know there are a great number of folks willing to travel far and wide to get IT.

For my own self needs I'm trying to find folks a bit closer to home so I can get regular 'hands on' time. A seminar here and there is good if that is all one can manage but regular training with immediate correction will be far superior.

Thanks
Thats the hard part though. As Mike pointed out above- how do you recommend; based on what/ For me, when I look at all of it the things I have felt and or have seen:
1. There are guys with a lot of power but maybe it is quasi-internal simple frame stuff. Make no mistake it can be tons of power but it is incomplete
2. There are guys with soft jujutsu-this includes a few ICMA teachers who like to talk about internal power, but they really don't have a clue. They are confusing people (who don't know any better) with their soft jujutsu They can toss you like no ones business- but it's not IP/aiki
3. There are guys with internal power, but lack the skill in using it in fluid resistance at speed. They are hobbyists.
4. There are guys with IP who really cannot teach it well
5. There are guys with only a fraction of the big picture but who can teach what they know really well
6. And any number of folks in-between in all of the above.

I make it easy. I don't recommend anyone. I tell people to go out and feel and make their own choices. Then they own their choices.
Why? It's the only way I currently know to be fair and open about it
Cheers
Dan
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #69
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
we have Johnny Kuo in PA
Is he near the Philly area? I might be interested in stopping by if he is.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #70
John Brockington
Dojo: Retsushinkan/Birmingham, AL
United_States

Ashe-

Who/where is your colleague in NC?

John
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #71
M. McPherson
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Is he near the Philly area? I might be interested in stopping by if he is.

Best,
Ron
Hey Ron! Hope all is well. He's actually out in Lancaster:

http://mindbodykungfu.net/content/welcome

Best regards,
Murray
Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #72
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
I tell people to go out and feel and make their own choices. Then they own their choices.
Why? It's the only way I currently know to be fair and open about it
Cheers
Dan
Nicely put.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #73
ashe

United_States

Quote:
John Brockington wrote: View Post
Ashe-

Who/where is your colleague in NC?

John
http://mindfulkungfu.com/content/classes-events

Ben Fisher. good guy, but an academic, not a fighter. if you want to see some of our training methods like spinning hands he's very good.

tiger at the gate
-----------------------
Twitter-@luoyegongfu
Old 10-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #74
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Murray McPherson wrote: View Post
Hey Ron! Hope all is well. He's actually out in Lancaster:

http://mindbodykungfu.net/content/welcome

Best regards,
Murray
Hey Ron, looks like he is my backyard...

Greg
Old 10-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #75
John Brockington
Dojo: Retsushinkan/Birmingham, AL
United_States

Ashe-

Thanks for the info- it looks like I may have to drive to Duke next time I am in Chapel Hill (via Highway 15-501, or the "Highway of Sorrow" as it is called by Duke hoops fans) to meet up.

John