Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
cguzik
How many dogi do you have?

Inspired by the thread in General regarding how often to wash your dogi (yuck) I thought it would be good to start a poll for how many dogi folks have. Unfortunately I don't know how to start a poll (maybe only Jun can do it).

Anyway, to get the ball rolling:

Altogether, over a dozen.
In active rotation for aikido practice: 8

I have accumulated them over years of practice and this makes it very straightforward to make sure I always have a clean one ready for practice.

Chris
Old 05-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
akiy

Re: How many dogi do you have?

Hi Chris,

I pretty much stopped running the front-page polls here on AikiWeb a while back, but here's a poll I took over 8 years ago on a similar subject:

"How many dogi jackets do you own?"
http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=41

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
cguzik

Thanks Jun!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I have three and a half. HAHA. Two are Yamato Sakura and one of the pants has a hole in the knee area. My third gi is from Bujin.... ::sniffles::

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

I have 4: 2 judo style I wear in cooler weather, 1 Bujin women's, & 1 homemade lightweight with a short sleeved top I use when its over 90. I also have a nice piece of organic cotton herringbone stashed to make a new top out of...one of these days...in my copious free time....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
RED
United_States

I have 1... I'm cheap.. I'll buy new one when it completely decomposes... I'll know I'll need another one the day a stiff breeze blows pass and takes gi with it.

MM
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States

I have five that are in the current rotation...

...then much to my wife's dismay...a closet almost full of ones I don't wear much anymore...old, too big, too small...etc...I keep them all...
Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Eight.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
lbb
United_States

I have two that are functional and two that are decrepit. I could use a couple more. Hey, ladies, now that Bujin is gone, where can I find a women's gi jacket?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
Adam Huss

United_States

Three judo style...one is a Mark Swain, one is a really nice Century..not sure of the other...some Japanese brand.

I have one karate dogi...Juka Bronze...but its no longer serviceable. Time for a new dogi!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:36 AM   #11
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

I have four jackets and two pairs of pants. Really need one more pair of pants, have to make sure I order them before our summer school. Plus one jacket is getting a bit too frayed around the edges...and another is has shrunk and doesn't fit very well anymore....maybe I actually need a complete keikogi...

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
Christine Morris

Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan, Fort Washington, PA
United_States

I have 2.5. Two sets are Century, and the one-half is a Bujin women's medium-weight jacket. When I went to order more Bujin dogi, they were no longer taking orders.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Anth
Dojo: UKAU (Peterlee)
United Kingdom

4 - a judo-style one mainly used for aiki, a heavyweight karate gi worn when I'm teaching karate and a couple of lightweight karate gi (one for aiki, one for karate).
Old 05-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
ninjaqutie

United_States

I had done a lot of research in the past Mary and I didn't find anyone else who at least advertized womens cut gi. I absolutely love the fit of my bujin one and I wish other companies would pick up on this idea. If I ever come across a supplier, I will be sure to post here in the forums!

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

I have 3 currently - all of which I am pleased with:

1. Bujin 12 oz
2. Nine Circles Double Weave
3. Tozando Seersucker Gi
Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
ninjaqutie

United_States

Found a couple sites with women's gi.

Century: (they have a 10 and an 8 oz) http://www.centurymartialarts.com/un...al_Jacket.aspx

And this random site, though you get a big red s on the sleeve...
http://www.hint.co.jp/kshop/judogi_e/judogi_women.html

Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #17
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
I have 3 currently - all of which I am pleased with:

1. Bujin 12 oz
2. Nine Circles Double Weave
3. Tozando Seersucker Gi
Ah Ha! A guy with Nine Circles gear....what is your opinion? We are currently looking for a place to get hakama now that BuJin is out and are looking at Nine Circles. Is there keikogi of a respectable quality? I think they make a lighter version of the judo uwagi for aikido....is this true and, if so, have you tried that out?

Thanks for any response,

v/r
A

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #18
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Found a couple sites with women's gi.

Century: (they have a 10 and an 8 oz) http://www.centurymartialarts.com/un...al_Jacket.aspx

And this random site, though you get a big red s on the sleeve...
http://www.hint.co.jp/kshop/judogi_e/judogi_women.html
Dragon international makes a dogi specifically designed for women in their Juka series. They are karate dogi: Juka Diamond. Not sure if they make judo style dogi for women...but maybe they do. They are one of the high quality organizations that haven't drastically raised their prices because their name isn't as popular as Mizuno or Tokaido. I have only used their tournament cut karate dogi (Juka Bronze) and it held up for about 6 years or so....mostly used if for karate, but it was also a year-round backup dogi for judo and aikido, as well as my go-to summer uwagi for aikido. Not bad for a lightweight. Anyway, I am sure their female-specific cut dogi is just as well put together.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #19
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
Ah Ha! A guy with Nine Circles gear....what is your opinion? We are currently looking for a place to get hakama now that BuJin is out and are looking at Nine Circles. Is there keikogi of a respectable quality? I think they make a lighter version of the judo uwagi for aikido....is this true and, if so, have you tried that out?

Thanks for any response,

v/r
A
Hi Adam,

You know I'm still a bit up in the air about the Nine Circles gi. The guys in the UK are aboslutely nutso about Nine Circles - they love them. Perhaps my expectations were too high as a result. I would say it is a good but not great gi.

What I like about it especially is the clean look - it doesn't have lapel stitching like on some that I think can look a little odd. I also like the shorter, aikido length sleeves and the absence of a back seam. It does have a longer skirt - similar to Tozando but much longer than the BuJin design. It doesn't bother me and may be good for folks in hakama.

I'm 5'11" 175lbs and the size 5 is a just a bit snug - I believe it's designed to be that way - a slimmer fit. If I drop five pounds, it'd be perfect. I should say - when I drop five pounds, it'll be perfect.

I ordered mine from the UK. I had relatives there at the time who were able to bring it back for me. Still it cost almost $100 (w/ tax and shipping). If I had it shipped to the US, it would have been more like $120-$140. For that kind of money, get one from Japan - especially if you don't need the pants.

The customer service of the guys in the UK was, on the whole, great. Very responsive and shipped exactly when they promised. The only thing I didn't like was that I asked what the country of origin for the gi was and they said they didn't know for sure. When I got the gi, it was clearly labeled Made in Pakistan. I tell myself that shouldn't make a difference but I don't think I would have spent $100 on a gi made in Pakistan.

If the US branch of nine circles has significantly better pricing, I may yet try their single weave version.

Hope that helps...

...rab

Last edited by Rabih Shanshiry : 05-26-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #20
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

currently, 3. if anyone knows how to keep the back of the gi nice clean and white, please let me know. i sweat like a pig... oh wait, i am a pig.

do you know that you can wear the gi pant 4 times? switching front then back then inside out. you can do similar thing with your underwear.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #21
Adam Huss

United_States

Thanks Rab,
that helps a lot. I really would like to get into a more formfitting uwagi...mine are just so bulky.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #22
brian donohoe

Dojo: Nenagh and sadly no longer police college Templemore
Ireland

I have two "fight right" dogi that I rotate.I am only able to train once a week at the moment so that does me fine.

By the way the word gi is a bad word where I come from.

Brian
Old 05-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #23
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

I have one, Tokon, light weight Karate gi. Was given to me by a friend when I started aikido a year ago and its held up well over the past year.

Just ordered a second, karate, gi from my dojo. Not sure who they order from.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #24
Adam Huss

United_States

Well my teacher just ordered me a Tokon heavyweight karate dogi (with brushed fabric)....I think its a Europa. I couldn't find a reference to Europa on Tokon's website so I'm a little curious about it. I'm guessing its a European distributor? I would still like to get a lightweight aikido uwagi that fits well. My teacher said Kamikaze made an awesome one that was reasonably priced, but they got new management (or something) and cancelled that particular product (or at least, changed the dimensions of it). I'm thinking the Seersucker or Nine Circles.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #25
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

europa is the name of the product line. Its the red label gi.
http://www.tokon.com/shop/shop/item.asp?itemid=3

of yu look at the top of the main page you will see a number of colored labels at the bottom os the name of the line that the color corresponds to.

I have the eco, or economy style which is very cheap ($30) meant for beginners until the decide if they want to really get into it. Considering how well it has held up I would think their better lines like the europa would be quite good.