Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-31-2002, 02:41 PM   #1
akiy

Auction Items Request - Barbara Bown Medical Fund

Hi everyone,

Barbara Bowen, an aikido student/shodan in Texas, recently suffered a brain aneurysm and is looking at a very hefty medical bill of upwards of $100,000. You can view John Riggs's original posting about this here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...&threadid=3128

Rob Burrell (Col. Clink) in New Zealand came up with the idea of holding an online auction on AikiWeb to raise money for Barbara's medical funds. I had originally came up with the idea of donating the proceeds of selling five AikiWeb T-shirts (total of $75) to go to this fund, but I like this idea more. Rob is also willing to send a T-shirt from the New Zealand Ki Society to the winner as well.

My request at this time is for folks out there in the aikido community who are willing to pitch something into this auction to commit to a donation for the auction. Things that I believe would be great include a T-shirt from your dojo, a book which you've authored, aikido artwork, aikido supplies, and such.

What I'm hoping to do is either setting up a quick auction type of thread on the AikiWeb Forums for people to "bid" on the collection of items or I can put the items up on E-bay. When we've reached a winner, AikiWeb will collect the winning bid from the bidder. When the winning bid comes through, I'll send it into the medical fund and let everyone know. At that time, I'll contact the people who have promised to donate the item(s) with the address to which the item(s) should be shipped. So, basically, people donating things into this auction would be covering the cost of the item(s) as well as shipping (which may be international).

At this point, I'd like to know if there are folks here who would be willing to donate something into the auction. I'd like to start the auction on Monday, January 13th, and run it for at least one week, so I'd like to have commitments in by Friday, January 10th.

So, if people could look for something they can donate and/or ask their instructor at the dojo if they'd be willing to donate something, I'd appreciate it. Please get back to me, though, with your commitment before January 10th.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-31-2002, 02:47 PM   #2
akiy

Hi everyone,

To start, I'll pitch in one AikiWeb T-shirt and 100 "Aikido" temporary tattoos from the AikiWeb AikiStore.

I'm checking with other folks I know to see if they'd be willing to pitch things into the auction. Stay tuned...

-- Jun

Old 12-31-2002, 03:17 PM   #3
akiy

Hi folks,

I just got word from Bu Jin Design that they're willing to donate a dogi set (both top and bottom) to the auction.

-- Jun

Old 12-31-2002, 05:30 PM   #4
Col.Clink
Dojo: Waiuku Ki Society
Hi Jun and everyone else,

just to confirm the New Zealand Ki Society will donate 1 T-shirt and 1 sew on badge to the auction. I will forward these to the winner when Jun notifies me who that may be, postal charges will be met by the NZ Ki Society.

I hope that others can also donate anything from their Dojo etc. Our good wishes and thoughts to Barbara from the NZ Ki Society.

Cheers

Rob

"Excess leads to the path of Wisdom"
Old 01-01-2003, 05:49 AM   #5
Gri

Dojo: Fukushinkan Dojo
Auction items

Hi Jun and ppl

Wishes for a Happy New Year aside (it's 1/1 after all), count me in for a hickory bokken by WoodenSwords.com (you can see it in http://www.woodenswords.com/AMA/bokken.htm), a hardback copy of Westbrook& Ratti's "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" (yeah, the book every aikidoka loves to hate), a paperback copy of Stevens' "The Shambhala Guide to Aikido" http://www.shambhala.com/html/catalo...7062-170-5.cfm -good all around intro for beginners) and a sew on badge of my dojo (Hellenic Aikido Association).

Bokken and books are in good condition -the bokken has been used only 2-3 times for kumitachi practice and very little for kata and the books' only flaws are a little wear on the dust jackets and my signature in the title page for the "Dynamic Sphere" and a little spinal/cover wear and signature in tilte page for "Guide".

Hope these help for starters. I'll check around and see if I can gather something else from friends/dojo mates -why do these things have to happen on holidays when no-one is available?

Lots of ki and wishes go to Miss Bowen and her family.

Gri
Old 01-01-2003, 10:38 AM   #6
akiy

Hi everyone,

So, quick question. Rob had first envisioned that we have an auction for the entire lot of items that we gathered, but I had a thought as I woke up this morning in the first day of 2003.

Do people think a raffle would be a better idea? We could ask for something like US$5 per "ticket" and then we could draw a "winner" for each item. How does that sound to people?

Also, a heartfelt "thank you" to Rob, Gri, and the folks at Bu Jin Design for their contributions so far!

-- Jun

Old 01-01-2003, 10:57 AM   #7
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Fifty years ago one good go on things on good faith alone. Unfortunately it is no longer that kind of world anymore. I hate to be the one asking the "nasty' questions, but how do I/we know this is legitimate?

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 01-01-2003, 01:50 PM   #8
Col.Clink
Dojo: Waiuku Ki Society
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Hi everyone,

So, quick question. Rob had first envisioned that we have an auction for the entire lot of items that we gathered, but I had a thought as I woke up this morning in the first day of 2003.

Do people think a raffle would be a better idea? We could ask for something like US$5 per "ticket" and then we could draw a "winner" for each item. How does that sound to people?

Also, a heartfelt "thank you" to Rob, Gri, and the folks at Bu Jin Design for their contributions so far!

-- Jun
Hi Jun, I don't mind at all. Just whatever you think would raise the most funds. The raffle is probably quite good as it spreads out the 'prizes'.
Quote:
Erik knoops wrote:
Fifty years ago one good go on things on good faith alone. Unfortunately it is no longer that kind of world anymore. I hate to be the one asking the "nasty' questions, but how do I/we know this is legitimate?
Hi Erik,

I think you do have a right to know if you are going to send goods or cash etc.

Personally, I am going on the old good faith.

Hope you find an answer to your question Erik.

cheers

Rob

"Excess leads to the path of Wisdom"
Old 01-01-2003, 02:03 PM   #9
Gri

Dojo: Fukushinkan Dojo
Hi

No prob with either the raffle or the auction way -whatever you think it will work best. As for what Erik mentioned, although I consider it a valid claim, I'll go with Rob -my engine still runs good enough on faith alone <g>.

Gri
Old 01-01-2003, 03:54 PM   #10
akiy

Hi Erik,

Although I've never met him, I've known John on the Internet for some years. I also know people who have met him and I have not heard anything but good things about him and I have no reason to doubt the words of my friends who know him...

-- Jun

Old 01-01-2003, 04:17 PM   #11
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Thank you Jun, that is the kind of info I wanted to hear.

Besides financial aid this lady is probably going to need all the moral support she can get. Is there an address people can sent get well cards to? Maybe something we can organize through Aikiweb as well??

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 01-01-2003, 04:17 PM   #12
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Response

Quote:
Erik Jurrien Knoops (erikknoops) wrote:
Erik, I can understand your hesitation, but people and human nature have not changed much in two thousand years. You can choose to trust or not.

I have known the Kelso's for over four years. I also visited Barb in teh hospital last week.

Barb is also a member of AAA as well as the rest of the students in our school. Trust me she is blessed to be alive. I am glad to see the Aikido community pulling together to help them out. I have seen Les and Barb give of there time and money to help people in our community of midland Texas over and over again.

I will be donating a 5 ft bow I painted and decorated when I was injured. Don't know how much it will bring, but why not try.

Sometimes Erik we have to just trust!
Old 01-01-2003, 09:55 PM   #13
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Hi Jun

I kind of like the raffle idea.......but whichever you and Senseii Riggs decide on will be cool.

Did you get my e-mail about donating a gi from the dojo? ( so the sale $ goes there as well as the bidding, if we do an auction)

Thanks so much to all the folks who have been so kind with Barbara.

Lan
Old 01-02-2003, 07:47 AM   #14
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Thank you Jun, and Lan, and others who have voiced openly that they know and/or trust this situation to be true. I, like Erik, have been wondering whether this was a scam or not (based on previous experience)and have not wanted to contribute until I knew for sure that this is legitimate. Thank you for clearing it up, and now I feel comfortable sending something to help out. I hate being a pessimist, but unfortunately there are too many situations out there that have created it, and I applaud Erik for having the courage to speak up and ask the question. His asking it allowed people to say what they know, and possibly make it easier for others out there (like me) to feel comfortable donating.

Please send my sincere well wishes to Barbara!

Rachel
Old 01-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #15
akiy

Hi folks,

As Lan pointed out, he is donating a dogi set (made by Century) to the raffle. I wanted to thank Johnny for his contribution of his painted bow; have you a picture that you could send me?

I just got word that my friend Wiley is willing to pitch in a hand-made weapons case:

http://www.aikiweb.com/tmp/bag_open.jpg

http://www.aikiweb.com/tmp/rolled.jpg

Also, Round Earth Publishing has promised either one autographed book that they publish ("Aikido Exercises for Teaching and Training" or "Ki in Aikido") or any of the artwork featured in either of the books.

Lastly, Zanshin Art has promised some kind of aikido artwork, the exact details of which were promised for this weekend.

I wanted to thank everyone for their support (and questions!) so far.

Lan, Johnny, do you have an address to which people can send get well cards and such? Maybe your dojo address would work?

-- Jun

Old 01-02-2003, 08:56 PM   #16
aikidoc
United_States
Hi All:

Everyone has a right to question a request for help given the number of scam artists out there. Erik is right to be cautious.

I invite anyone to check out my integrity and honesty. I am a licensed chiropractor (doctor of chiropractic) in Texas and California and actively practice in Midland TX. I am the aikido dojo cho for Ta Ch'u Academy of the Martial Arts of which Barbara is co-owner with her husband Les Kelso. Barbara is one of my students. I have no financial interest in the medical fund nor the dojo. I teach for the love of the art and do not receive compensation. I have never been arrested, acused of fraud or even had a malpractice action against me in 13 years. The school is affiliated with AAA and I am a certified instructor through them and hold the current rank of sandan. Most of my aikido training was when I lived in Southern California. I have trained in Ki Society, a splinter group, and ASU schools as well as AAA. Please feel free to verify anything you would like.

In any event, this is not about me. I cannot do more to verify Barbara's situation than I already have-rights to privacy stuff. If you do not trust the situation or me then please by all means do not participate. My only investment in this is my time with no return.

My spiritual orientation is based on "reality" and removal of illusion in addition to right thinking, right speech, etc. Barbara's brain aneurysms are not an illusion, they are reality.

I thank all who are willing to take some things at face value without the assumption of an agenda or fraud. I know there are a lot of fakes out there; even in the aikido world. It's nice to see such aiki spirits.

Barbara is doing well. Balance and weakness are still an issue. She will need rehab for sure to help her recover some memory and focus skills as well as her legs.

Those of you wishing to send her cards can do so at the following address:

Barbara Bowen-Kelso

Ta Ch'u Academy of the Martial Arts

3402 Thomason Dr.

Midland, TX 79703

Dr. John Riggs
Old 01-02-2003, 09:04 PM   #17
aikidoc
United_States
Business

P.S. If you want to check my business website for verificiation the following address should get you there: aikidocriggs.chiroweb.com.

John
Old 01-03-2003, 12:30 PM   #18
akiy

Quote:
Lastly, Zanshin Art has promised some kind of aikido artwork, the exact details of which were promised for this weekend.
True to her word, Janet provided me with the following:
Quote:
It's metallic and texturized, dark blue on silver/grey, mixed media on claybord (TM); the size 10" x 8" means it will fit a standard sized premade wooden frame.
http://www.aikiweb.com/tmp/KA001.jpg

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it looks pretty darned cool.

I also want to thank John for providing personal information regarding himself and his dojo. I hope this will help clear things up for folks and will enable everyone to feel more comfortable in helping out.

-- Jun

Old 01-03-2003, 01:55 PM   #19
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
My sincerest sympathies to Mrs. Kelso and her family and friends.

I would like to donate a basswood plaqued carved with the kanji for aikido. I don't have one here that I can send a close-up picture of but you can see one I made for the Toyoda Center. The plaques are solid basswood with the bark left on the long edges. The sizes vary depending on availability but I'll get the largest one I can. The large ones are usually approx. 12" x 10", but like I said the size and shape can vary.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-03-2003, 01:57 PM   #20
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Bronson Diffin (Bronson) wrote:
My sincerest sympathies to Ms. Bowen and her family and friends.

I would like to donate a basswood plaqued carved with the kanji for aikido. I don't have one here that I can send a close-up picture of but you can see one I made for the Toyoda Center. The plaques are solid basswood with the bark left on the long edges. The sizes vary depending on availability but I'll get the largest one I can. The large ones are usually approx. 12" x 10", but like I said the size and shape can vary.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-03-2003, 03:32 PM   #21
akiy

That's great, Bronson. Thank you for your contribution!

-- Jun

Old 01-05-2003, 02:23 AM   #22
aikidoc
United_States
Les Kelso Request

I am posting the following at the request of Les Kelso:

"John I can't get logged in to the aiki web for some reason..maybe they are asleep or something..i wanted to respond to the "erik" thread where he is questioning the veracity of Barb's situation....maybe you could post for me and tell them if they are dubious to call Midland College operator at 915 685 4500 and ask to talk to either Ann Leach, director of Kinesiology dept or Dr Will Morris, dean of Arts and Sciences...they will concur Barb's status as an adjunct faculty member and her current medical leave.

You might also mention that we would prefer to have no negative input of any kind toward this cause and if they have feelings of misgiving or doubt, we would appreciate them limiting their involvement to satisfying their suspicions with a phone call to Midland College. Monies given without full love and support simply are not wanted."

Hope this also helps alleviate the concerns.

John
Old 01-05-2003, 01:42 PM   #23
Aviv
Dojo: Aikido in Fredericksburg
United_States
Hi Jun:

If you do an auction, I will donate a private lesson in the 31 jo kata. I have been certified by Saito Sensei to teach this practice, which was developed by O'Sensei.

The only catch is that the lesson be given within 30 miles of where I am. I live near Fredericksburg, VA but do travel from time to time, for example I'll be in Denver next month in Nevada & California in May.

Maybe I can get my students to bid. Let me know how you finally arrange this.

Peace, Aviv Goldsmith
Aikido in Fredericksburg
www.aikidoinfredericksburg.org
Old 01-05-2003, 10:50 PM   #24
Aiki Teacher
United_States
I will send it tomorrow. Late in the afternoon.
Quote:
Hi folks,

As Lan pointed out, he is donating a dogi set (made by Century) to the raffle. I wanted to thank Johnny for his contribution of his painted bow; have you a picture that you could send me?

I just got word that my friend Wiley is willing to pitch in a hand-made weapons case:

http://www.aikiweb.com/tmp/bag_open.jpg

http://www.aikiweb.com/tmp/rolled.jpg

Also, Round Earth Publishing has promised either one autographed book that they publish ("Aikido Exercises for Teaching and Training" or "Ki in Aikido") or any of the artwork featured in either of the books.

I wanted to thank everyone for their support (and questions!) so far.

Lan, Johnny, do you have an address to which people can send get well cards and such? Maybe your dojo address would work?

-- Jun
Old 01-05-2003, 11:10 PM   #25
akiy

Hi John,

Thank you for more information regarding Barbara and for relaying the message from Les.

As John said himself, "Everyone has a right to question a request for help given the number of scam artists out there. Erik is right to be cautious." I, too, agree and personally feel that Erik was not trying to de-legitimize this, be "nasty," nor expressing any kind of "negative" opinion. As Erik is in the Netherlands, I'm sure it's difficult for him to be able to easily contact people (or know folks like John) who can vouch for the legitimacy of this situation. I, for one, feel happy to vouch for Erik (just as I will be happy to vouch for John) and feel his initial thoughts on this matter were justified. I'm sure he meant no personal ill will but was merely expressing his thoughts from a place of good intentions. I hope that will help close that matter sufficiently...

Any way, I just heard from Peter Boylan of Mugendo Budogo that he's willing to donate a copy of Moriteru Ueshiba sensei's "Aikido: Sono Waza To Gokui" (bottom of the page referred) for the raffle. Thanks, Peter! The tape looks great.

Also thanks to Bronson for donating a basswood "Aikido" kanji plaque. I took a look at the picture and the plaque looks very nice.

Also, thank to Aviv for his offer to teach the 31 jo kata as taught to him and certified by Saito sensei -- how exciting! I'm not too sure, though, how well this would work out as it looks like we're planning on doing a raffle instead of an auction. Maybe, as you said, you can see if your students would be willing to bid for just that item and you can send the proceeds directly to the account referenced in the first post of this thread? Heck, I'd be willing to bid for it, just for the opportunity of learning the kata (for the umpteenth time since I just can't seem to remember the darned thing no matter how many times I get taught it!) the next time I see you!

Lastly, I got a piece of e-mail from Gil down in Florida that he's willing to donate several signed printes of a portrait of O-sensei that he did in 1992. Thanks, Gil! I'll see if I can get some pictures from him.

In any case, the list of items available for the raffle is growing and it looks wonderful. I hope to have the final list of raffle items and set up the raffle itself right after January 10th so please let me know either via this thread here or by private e-mail if you'd be willing to donate something for this raffle.

Best regards to everyone,

-- Jun