Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2002, 12:30 PM   #1
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Believe in aikido

I see we have had a spirited discussion on our own personal beliefs, and if they are altered with our studies and new practice of Aikido?

Does the doctrine of your religion clash with the practice of Aikido. Or ... does your belief in the practical defenses of Aikido entice you to form certain doctrines of belief when you study Aikido?

Like many older practitioners, I am interested in not only the practices and beiliefs of all spiritual faiths and religions, but how they have universal truths, or if they are affected by the self interests of organizations, or particular leaders. This particularly applies to those with strong religious convictions that are designed to maintain blind faith in a particular doctrine so the faithful don't wander off the chosen path.

I can take or leave this type of thinking to indoctrinate and maintain followers, but Aikido strength is not only the physical training but the moral and spiritual character we carry as we train.

Do you carry certain beliefs of Aikido's training to lead to a spiritual goal, or is it another passtime that must fit within your present doctrines both spiritual and religious guidelines?
Old 08-26-2002, 12:41 PM   #2
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
I know I started the thread but here is my answer.

I believe in a greater power of the universe, a god if you will, but this power is interpreted by all people of the world differently. My Christian upbringing, broken family, and learning to support my brothers/ sisters until I married and had a family of my own, gave me the spirit of self reliance.

Yet with hidden roots of Native American, and source ties to basic cultures with simular lifestyles, I don't adhere to European industrial culture, rather to the Traditional Indian Values. I see Aikido as another way to come in contact with the energy of life, and directly influence the changes in society by passive guidance ... not corperal punishment.

I guess I have adapted Japanese mind to learn Aikido, and O'Sensei's pursuit of nature as a guide to a modern Industrial/ Native American slant. I have by passed the Jesus is my savior, or the Buddhist worshiping an earthly model to get back to a universal truth our only god ... the univers we live in.

Kind of makes learning Aikido easy by not trying to give it names or words, just movements and sensations with a clear mind.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:04 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, it is interesting to watch these threads. We have a chance to practice our Aikido mentality with each other, to enter and blend with different points of view, to offer our own ideas that may redirect their current path. I think we need more practice.

I believe in O'Sensei.

I believe in the Aikido teachings.

I believe the the common-unity of Aikido.

Until again, (and, oh yes, there will be again)

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-27-2002, 06:42 PM   #4
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
"The Art of Peace is the religion that is not a religion; it perfects and completes all religions" -O'Sensei, translated by John Stevens, "The Art of Peace".