Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
terry johnson

Dojo: Pattaya Thai Aikido
Thailand
Wrong technique

I recently trained in a dojo in Thailand. I had no Gi, so wore shorts and T shirt. The sensei put me on the floor and pressed down on my shoulders, leaving my arms free.

I didn't know whether to free myself, which would have been easy for me to do. Instead I just accepted his move..But I felt as a teacher he could not have possibly made this error. I left and have not been back.

As any one else been in this situation and what do you think is the correct course of action to take?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: Wrong technique

Quote:
Terry Johnson wrote: View Post
I recently trained in a dojo in Thailand. I had no Gi, so wore shorts and T shirt. The sensei put me on the floor and pressed down on my shoulders, leaving my arms free.

I didn't know whether to free myself, which would have been easy for me to do. Instead I just accepted his move..But I felt as a teacher he could not have possibly made this error. I left and have not been back.

As any one else been in this situation and what do you think is the correct course of action to take?
Hi Terry,

I do this sometimes with uke who resist being put to the floor. Once I have put him on floor and pinned his shoulders momentarily, I would take a step back to allow him to get up and start the attack all over again till I am satisfied that I can put him down at will even with the resistance. Nothing to prove but maximizing the time to train without softening up the Uke

David Y
Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
terry johnson

Dojo: Pattaya Thai Aikido
Thailand

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
Hi Terry,

I do this sometimes with uke who resist being put to the floor. Once I have put him on floor and pinned his shoulders momentarily, I would take a step back to allow him to get up and start the attack all over again till I am satisfied that I can put him down at will even with the resistance. Nothing to prove but maximizing the time to train without softening up the Uke

David Y
Thanks for your reply
It's not quite like that... He pinned my shoulders and said now get out of that
Of course it would have been simple to do, but I refrained from doing so.
While I could move my arms and hands it would have been easy..

He was demonstrating this to the class. We all had to do it. But I know it was wrong.
I am wondering about his real status. But I love aikido and have been doing it 30 years on and off,
This is because I am in different countries. I am settled in, Thailand now and dojos are few..
Once again, thanks for your. reply
Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

I don't know, what that sensei wanted to show.

But I sometimes do something which seems to be similar:
uke is brought down to tatami like lets say in ikkyo. Then I change and touch uke on his back with only one hand. Most oftn between the shoulder blades, sometimes on one of his schoulder blades. uke should feel very free in this situation, he can use his arms like he wants to. (That's how you felt?)
I then want uke to stand up, roll away, get free and use his arms an body to got away (That's what this sensei wanted you to do?)
Uke may get up or move to a certain point when I move him not by pressure on his back but by changing the direction of his movement. He feels free, but he can't bring his movements to the end he wants to. So I control uke while we he is moving quite a lot, while I just lay my hand on his back.

We do this to better understand how atari works and to better understand the osae waza. Endo sometimes shows this.

If someone doesn't try to get up or move away nothing just happens and he will not feel what could have happened.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
kewms

Quote:
Terry Johnson wrote: View Post
Thanks for your reply
It's not quite like that... He pinned my shoulders and said now get out of that
Of course it would have been simple to do, but I refrained from doing so.
While I could move my arms and hands it would have been easy..
If you didn't try it, how do you know it would have been easy?

Katherine
Old 10-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
...We do this to better understand how atari works and to better understand the osae waza. Endo sometimes shows this.

If someone doesn't try to get up or move away nothing just happens and he will not feel what could have happened.
Took a few ukeme for Endo shihan in Shanghai last week, took me a couple of attacks to realize that he did not want me to "surrender" to him. It was either resisting the pin or continuing to attack him when he released the pin. He was demonstrating the point that there is no aikido without connection (atari) [I gather from that statement that he does not believe in no-touch throws ].
Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

If he told you to get up you should have got up. There could have been several lessons there. There may not have been one at all. There's always next time.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 10-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Lyle Laizure wrote: View Post
If he told you to get up you should have got up. There could have been several lessons there. There may not have been one at all. There's always next time.
Yep

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield