Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #26
John Connolly
Dojo: NYC Icho Ryu
United_States
Re: Dan Harden at Popkin-Brogna June 1-3

What an amazing seminar!

Thanks so much to Dan and his crew for their amazing generosity and good humor. I met so many great folks and learned (umm, tried to learn, wrote down, aped) so much great stuff!

I had no doubts, after reading Dan's posts over the years and hearing first hand accounts, that he has skills to teach and I have a lot to learn, but of course, I always wonder "how good can this guy be?"-- Really bleeping good. I'm no superman, but I've been in martial arts most of my life and had my share of scrapes. I got to play a bit with Dan, and I gotta say, he handled me like a full grown man might gently roughhouse a pre-teen boy. Not violently, but with power that was so obvious and so solid (and potentially explosive) that I realized that this is a man worth learning from (in a huge way).

Most importantly, Dan's students felt solid and had genuine, identifiable soft power-- not meathead muscle-power. They were also consistent with their observations and help, with identifying ways to improve-- this consistency is a hallmark of good teaching and good martial methodology. That means there might even be hope for an old budo-nerd like me.

Moreover, everyone was so open, friendly, and funny, it really felt like I was training with my own dojo. I look forward to many more occasions to learn from all of them (as well as hoist a pint or two).

I'm really glad I had the opportunity to come and learn and play. I've got a ton of homework to wrack my brain and test my body.

Thanks again Dan (and crew) for being open and willing to teach. I had a blast, and it was super great to meet you. And special thanks to Joe and Howard for hosting!

See you guys soon,

Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #27
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Seriously, what an amazing crowd.

All kidding aside, and as those of you who know me, you know that it is hard for me to put kidding aside.

Dan...Thanks.....really......

All of Dan's gang from up North, thanks for schlepping down to help.

Great weekend !

P.S. Fluffy.....BBBBBBBOOOMMMM

Old 06-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #28
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Actually, I think it was more like KABOOMMMM !!!!! - but really no need to get into semantics here, the effects were all the same

Greg
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Seriously, what an amazing crowd.

All kidding aside, and as those of you who know me, you know that it is hard for me to put kidding aside.

Dan...Thanks.....really......

All of Dan's gang from up North, thanks for schlepping down to help.

Great weekend !

P.S. Fluffy.....BBBBBBBOOOMMMM
Yes, they all are a great bunch of schleppers, especially that Don guy - I think he has other afflictions as well, but we won't go in to them here

Greg
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #30
Garth
United_States

Dont forget that it morphed into "POW!!!!""
Thats the one that left Dan speechless.
But Good God, dont worry Dan, although that was a most memorable moment , it was far and away not the only one
Drinking from a fire hose.........a lot of people can visualize that..... but I have quite literally been there, done that and it is not an anaolgy I will soon forget

A day will dawn when you will yourself laugh at your effort. That which is on the day of laughter is also now.
Ramana Maharishi
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #31
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
United_States

Quote:
Gregory Gargiso wrote: View Post
Dont forget that it morphed into "POW!!!!""
Thats the one that left Dan speechless.
But Good God, dont worry Dan, although that was a most memorable moment , it was far and away not the only one
Drinking from a fire hose.........a lot of people can visualize that..... but I have quite literally been there, done that and it is not an anaolgy I will soon forget
Guys,

Please do not FORGET story#22...!!! :0) We have only heard it about 60 times...
Don't forget the shovels, birdwaching, and a great dinner. Thank you everyone.

CW
Old 06-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #32
DH
United_States

Quote:
John Connolly wrote: View Post
What an amazing seminar!

Thanks so much to Dan and his crew for their amazing generosity and good humor. I met so many great folks and learned (umm, tried to learn, wrote down, aped) so much great stuff!

I had no doubts, after reading Dan's posts over the years and hearing first hand accounts, that he has skills to teach and I have a lot to learn, but of course, I always wonder "how good can this guy be?"-- Really bleeping good. I'm no superman, but I've been in martial arts most of my life and had my share of scrapes. I got to play a bit with Dan, and I gotta say, he handled me like a full grown man might gently roughhouse a pre-teen boy. Not violently, but with power that was so obvious and so solid (and potentially explosive) that I realized that this is a man worth learning from (in a huge way).

Most importantly, Dan's students felt solid and had genuine, identifiable soft power-- not meathead muscle-power. They were also consistent with their observations and help, with identifying ways to improve-- this consistency is a hallmark of good teaching and good martial methodology. That means there might even be hope for an old budo-nerd like me.

Moreover, everyone was so open, friendly, and funny, it really felt like I was training with my own dojo. I look forward to many more occasions to learn from all of them (as well as hoist a pint or two).

I'm really glad I had the opportunity to come and learn and play. I've got a ton of homework to wrack my brain and test my body.

Thanks again Dan (and crew) for being open and willing to teach. I had a blast, and it was super great to meet you. And special thanks to Joe and Howard for hosting!

See you guys soon,
John
It was great meeting yet another of TNBBC. What the hell is up with Neil....he has a 100% "great guys" membership???
Well... won't be jealous...I have a great women too.

Actually I am so glad you had fun and found some worth in what we do. Also that you saw the value in my crews ability to teach. I get a lot of letters and comments about big Tom's abilities as well-though we forgot to mention him. People tell me they couldn't do things..then Tom works with them and suddenly.... no problem!!
For me that is the acid test and not surprisingly you nailed it too...can their students do this or not??? I wouldn't cross the street to train with yet another talented teacher (whoopy!) who showboats and their students have nothing!! My goal is to make sure that does not happen anymore with this material. We cannot afford to take this (the heart of the arts) and muck it up like everything else we did.
Cheers
Dan
Old 06-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #33
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
John
It was great meeting yet another of TNBBC. What the hell is up with Neil....he has a 100% "great guys" membership???
Shhh, don't let it out. Is secret...

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #34
John Connolly
Dojo: NYC Icho Ryu
United_States

Dan-- that's exactly it. Do the students reflect the teacher?

Chris-- shuuuuuut uuuuuup! Is seeecret!

Special secret note to TNBBC-- is NOT Hapkido