Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Chiba Shihan

I have heard from the Aikikai that T K Chiba Shihan passed away on June 5. He was 75 years of age.

P Goldsbury

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
AikiWeb System
Kazuo Chiba Sensei Passes Away

Posted 2015-06-05 22:00:14 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://birankai.org/blog/?p=920

Kazuo Chiba (8th dan, Birankai International) sensei has passed away at age 75.

Chiba sensei started aikido in 1958 at age 18 after studying judo and karate. He was uchideshi (live-in disciple) to founder Morihei Ueshiba for seven years. He received his 3rd dan in 1960 and 5th dan in 1962 before being dispatched to Great Britain in 1966. In 1970, he received his 6th dan and shihan title. He moved to San Diego, CA in 1981 on an invitation from the United States Aikido Federation and established the San Diego Aikikai. He founded Birankai International in 2000 before retiring from active aikido teaching in 2008 after 50 years in aikido.

My condolences go out to his family, friends, students, and loved ones.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Kazuo Chiba Sensei Passes Away

Although I knew from my good friend Joe Curran Sensei that TK Chiba Sensei was very ill, it still came a great shock as I opened my computer this morning. Such a sad loss of one of the last of the greats of Aikido, my condolences go out to Sensei's wife, family and students.

I have some treasured memories of Sensei - I was assistant to Chiba Sensei from 1967 until 1972 and appeared on TV and the BBC world service with Sensei. I wrote an article on the arrival and impact on UK Aikido of Chiba Sensei to the UK - for those who may be interested in those early days at the famous ` Hut Dojo ` and much more, please go to Aikiweb " columns " page sevenfor " Two Handsome Young Men ".

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido `.
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
Old 06-06-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Chiba Shihan

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
I have heard from the Aikikai that T K Chiba Shihan passed away on June 5. He was 75 years of age.

P Goldsbury
Dear Peter,
Members of Birankai received the news today.For me and countless others who had the privilege of meeting and training with him, this is a very sad moment.I have been as you know a student of his for over forty years.I consider Chiba Sensei was one of the finest aikidoka and martial artists I have ever known, maybe even the best I have ever met.As a person Sensei was kind, caring,loyal,generous ,charismatic and warm hearted.He also was an inspiration to many students the world over.At the same time Sensei could get a bit angry now and again.I never got too bothered about this. In fact I came to the conclusion that Senseis bark was worse than his bite.Personally i feel that a part of me has died.i and countless others mourn his passing.I also in common with others send my condolences to Mrs Chiba and the family.May Sensei R.I.P.
Joe
Old 06-06-2015, 02:45 AM   #5
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Although I knew from my good friend Joe Curran Sensei that TK Chiba Sensei was very ill, it still came a great shock as I opened my computer this morning. Such a sad loss of one of the last of the greats of Aikido, my condolences go out to Sensei's wife, family and students.

I have some treasured memories of Sensei - I was assistant to Chiba Sensei from 1967 until 1972 and appeared on TV and the BBC world service with Sensei. I wrote an article on the arrival and impact on UK Aikido of Chiba Sensei to the UK - for those who may be interested in those early days at the famous ` Hut Dojo ` and much more, please go to Aikiweb " columns " page sevenfor " Two Handsome Young Men ".

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido `.
Dear Henry,
I make no apologies when I say that on hearing the news of Chiba Senseis passing i shed tears.Even as I write this mail tears are rolling down my face.We and others have lost a dear friend and teacher.Like you I treasure the memories of my encounters with Chiba Sensei and Mrs Chiba.Their kindness and hospitality extended to my wife and I on our visits to San Diego were second to none.We also as you did enjoy Senseis company at our social nights on our courses.
It has been a privilege and honour to have known Chiba Sensei.along with others we have lost a dear teacher and friend. Joe.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:03 AM   #6
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Henry,
I make no apologies when I say that on hearing the news of Chiba Senseis passing i shed tears.Even as I write this mail tears are rolling down my face.We and others have lost a dear friend and teacher.Like you I treasure the memories of my encounters with Chiba Sensei and Mrs Chiba.Their kindness and hospitality extended to my wife and I on our visits to San Diego were second to none.We also as you did enjoy Senseis company at our social nights on our courses.
It has been a privilege and honour to have known Chiba Sensei.along with others we have lost a dear teacher and friend. Joe.
Hello Joe, it to saddens me to hear of your misfortune. Please take comfort that Chiba Sensei Aikido legacy will continue to flourish thru your mind body and spirit. Kia Kaha (be strong) Richard

Motto tsuyoku
Old 06-06-2015, 03:21 AM   #7
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Dear Henry,
Dear Joe

It is so sad to see people that you love and respect pass away.
I lost a dear friend two weeks ago Elio Lamaga from Italy - Kenshiro Abbe Sensei stayed with Elio after leaving the UK in 1969.
And of course my dear beloved son Rik, there is simply no time for the sadness to heal.

I was only telling my daughter Julie last w/e of the time Chiba Sensei and Madam Chiba came to my home for dinner and they both held our month old Julie in their arms .

On another occasion I had Sensei's Chiba - Tamura - Tada - Ichamura come to dinner, my wife had the table all set, but outside my house was a giant English oak tree ( not Scottish :-) and much to the curiosity of my neighbours they all sat cross legged under the oak tree to have dinner .

Chiba Sensei said when we last met at the Hut Dojo (pub) over lunch, he asked if I would work with him to write the true history of British Aikido, sadly that will never happen now. So, we have to hang in there Joe and make sure that the truth is out there and the frauds are exposed. I believe Chiba Sensei would approve of that.

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido`
Old 06-06-2015, 03:50 AM   #8
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

sad day for all of us who knew and trained with him. Like Joe I knew Sensei for over 40 years - in fact since I was a boy.
He was a mercurial figure; frightening to some; but always sincere to his own beliefs. His influence on Aikido in the UK cannot be overstated RIP my teacher and friend.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:39 AM   #9
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

I still remember striking Chiba with my bokken. I expected far more of a reaction but he was quite kind. My condolences to all his friends and students.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
tom collings
Dojo: Long Island Asian Studies Center
United_States

Friday afternoon, 1978, Aikido Hombu Dojo, Tokyo. Sitting straight in seiza, nervous. Chiba Sensei will step on the mat any moment. He will scan the battlefield, see who has chosen to enter his zone of dangerous high-energy "ruthless awareness." Out of 400 students, as usual, only 12 attend this class. But look at who is here. Sitting on my right is Waka Sensei Moriteru Ueshiba, Shibata Sensei, and uchi deshi - Miyamoto, Yokota, and Seki. On my left is Skoss, Bookman and a few other amazing students of Chiba. We sit, all nervous. I feel so honored to be there. It just does not get any better. Hands to heart in Gassho.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #11
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote: View Post
sad day for all of us who knew and trained with him. Like Joe I knew Sensei for over 40 years - in fact since I was a boy.
He was a mercurial figure; frightening to some; but always sincere to his own beliefs. His influence on Aikido in the UK cannot be overstated RIP my teacher and friend.
Dear Philip,
Let it not be said that life around Chiba Sensei was boring and uneventful .Being involved with Sensei was akin to be on one helluva carnival coaster ride. Exciting , full of thrills and the trip on that magic coaster ride left you breathless.There was alway an element of danger when Chiba Sensei was on the mat.One minute he could be a whirl wind, tossing guys around like nothing I have ever seen then or now, and yet he could be soft and light .I remember the wonderful demo he gave at the U.K.A. Summer School [date I forget ] where he used two young boys as Ukes.He was brilliant, a master showman who made the audience smile.Then of course he continued his demo by simply toying with the elder , experienced Dan grades.I rate this demo as one of his very best.
The memories we each have of him are of times past when somehow our Aikido universe was less complicated .We were I feel more like children then.I miss this feeling.Am I getting old,I ask myself? Chiba Sensei should you be on that heavenly tatami, and laughing at my meanderings herein, thanks for taking me and others on the Magical Mystery Tour.Joe.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tom Collings wrote: View Post
Friday afternoon, 1978, Aikido Hombu Dojo, Tokyo. Sitting straight in seiza, nervous. Chiba Sensei will step on the mat any moment. He will scan the battlefield, see who has chosen to enter his zone of dangerous high-energy "ruthless awareness." Out of 400 students, as usual, only 12 attend this class. But look at who is here. Sitting on my right is Waka Sensei Moriteru Ueshiba, Shibata Sensei, and uchi deshi - Miyamoto, Yokota, and Seki. On my left is Skoss, Bookman and a few other amazing students of Chiba. We sit, all nervous. I feel so honored to be there. It just does not get any better. Hands to heart in Gassho.
Dear Tom,

What a avid description.i know the feeling well.Sensei eyes seemed to see everything in the dojo all at the same time.You felt that he could see right into your very soul.He seemed to sense your fears ,nervousness etc.i felt at times I was in the presence of a panther, especially when he was in full action mode.Other times in later years Sensei mellowed , he became remarkably benevolent , with such an engaging smile.His smile lit up a room.He could of course press his foot down on the accelerator as and when he felt so inclined. To say you had to keep your wits about you is an understatement. Cheers, Joe. By the way not a bad lineup in 1978.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
akiy

It's lovely to hear people's experiences with Chiba sensei.

Are there other folks here who would like to share their memories with him?

-- Jun

PS: Here is a direct link to Henry's "It Had to Be Felt" article on Chiba sensei: It Had to Be Felt #24: Chiba Kazuo: "There We Were, Two Handsome Young Men"

Last edited by akiy : 06-06-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:56 AM   #14
Sojourner
Australia
Post Kazuo Chiba - 1940 - 2015

Some thoughts and reflections on the life of Kazuo Chiba and perhaps also a challenge for us to take on the mantle and carry on his work in promoting Aikido in the west.

https://dontmakemeangrymrmcgee.wordp...iba-1940-2015/
Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #15
sakumeikan
United Kingdom
Re: Kazuo Chiba - 1940 - 2015

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post
Some thoughts and reflections on the life of Kazuo Chiba and perhaps also a challenge for us to take on the mantle and carry on his work in promoting Aikido in the west.

https://dontmakemeangrymrmcgee.wordp...iba-1940-2015/
Dear Ben,
A very thought provoking article not only on Chiba Sensei but also on the many people who have given us so much and have passed on.People like the Anzacs you mentioned .As you say the younger generation must pick up the torch and carry it in order that the work by teachers who have shed their mortal coil is preserved for the future generations. Thanks for posting the article, Joe.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #16
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Dear Henry,
Hello Joe,

I hope you are well.

I was also shocked at the news and thought to myself, Why didn't he stay a bit longer? My reason was rather selfish. I planned to go and visit him and have a talk.
I had heard various rumours about his health over the past few years, but I discounted them. Then I heard from Yamada Sensei more recently that he was really sick and that the doctors had not given him much time. So I wrote him a letter and now regret that he would not have received it.

There is much that I could say, but I recently saw a Youtube interview where he talked about the beginners mind. As usual, he chose to talk about one of the hardest things about aikido.

You and Henry Ellis should write a memoir.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #17
akiy

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
There is much that I could say, but I recently saw a Youtube interview where he talked about the beginners mind. As usual, he chose to talk about one of the hardest things about aikido.
Below is the video of Chiba sensei that Peter is referring to:

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #18
Sojourner
Australia
Re: Kazuo Chiba - 1940 - 2015

Quote:
Dear Ben,
A very thought provoking article not only on Chiba Sensei but also on the many people who have given us so much and have passed on.People like the Anzacs you mentioned .As you say the younger generation must pick up the torch and carry it in order that the work by teachers who have shed their mortal coil is preserved for the future generations. Thanks for posting the article, Joe.
Cheers Joe, I am glad you got something out of it, thank you for the encouragement it is respected and appreciated.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #19
lbb
United_States

There has to be a word for a surprise that isn't a surprise. Perhaps "shock" covers it: like an electrical shock, you know what is going to happen when you grab that wire, you see it coming, and then it happens and there's still a shock. There were plenty of indications that the end was not far off, and yet when I heard the news on Friday, my reaction was shock, and a childish, "What's going to happen to us now?"

(Please refrain from providing your answer to that question. It isn't directed at this audience, or at anyone really. It is not for anyone else to answer.)
Old 06-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #20
Tim Mailloux

Rest in peace Chiba Sensei

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGYtWnWgI7s
Old 06-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #21
lbb
United_States

This was announced yesterday on the Birankai Summer Camp (NA) Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Biran...247208564934):). Birankai Summer Camp will be held this year from July 16-21 at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, WA.

"In light of Chiba Sensei's passing, a Special Weekend Package will be offered after regular registration ends tonight. This will include some shorter stay options for anyone wanting to join us for a "Celebration of Life" which will be on Saturday, July 18 from 7:30-11pm.
This special registration will open shortly and be available until June 29--please follow the link to the registration page for details on the special weekend packages."

Link is https://sites.google.com/site/birank...5/registration - registration is open through June 29 for the weekend options (2 day resident training, 2 day resident non-training, 1 day commuter rate)
Old 06-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #22
Tim Mailloux

Someone recently posted the old Chiba Sensei USAF Western Region testing guideline tapes online. I actually have all these tapes on VHS and used to study them religiously.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfo51y8-C38
Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #23
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Below is the video of Chiba sensei that Peter is referring to:

-- Jun
Dear Jun,
I was in San Diego training at San Diego Aikikai. San Diego can be a warm place, however darkness and a sudden chill comes unexpectedly and can catch you unawares.Anyway I was with Chiba Sensei and I was clad in a light tee shirt and pants,I was dressed for warm weather.
As I was about to leave Sensei s house Chiba Sensei noticed I was shivering,He goes to his wardrobe and gets me a jacket,saying ;Here , wear this '.I put on said jacket, boy was I glad he gave me this jacket.I said my thank yous to him.Next day I went to see him to return his jacket,He says to me ;Keep it , it looks good on you'.By now dear readers you will know what jacket he gave me.It is the brown pigskin jacket in the video. I treasure this garment which hangs in my wardrobe.Once again Chiba Sensei displayed generosity and kindness to me.I will always treasure that gift he gave me. Cheers, Joe
Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #24
Walter Martindale
Canada

Never met Chiba sensei but attended training sessions led by some of his former students. Amazing. R.I.P. May we at some time deserve to be in his "Royal Guard"..