Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-23-2003, 11:34 PM   #1
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States
Enjoying Aikido

Despite all the debate of is Aikido effective, or will it work here or there. On the ground or in the air. Will it work well aginst knives, ninjas, or WMD. I would have to guess the most important thing is Aikido is really fun.
Being in Taiwan, Martial Arts are taken quite seriously (not that they are not any where else) but people here are programed from birth. The television is saturated with Kung Fu cartoons and televison drama.
However in Aikido dojos around Taiwan people are having fun, laughing, working hard to get the technique perfect.
Others have a different opinion, and that is great, but I am really in Aikido these days because of the atmosphere is it conducted in. Really self-defense is subject to every different situation which no one can predict.
Anyway thats my Aikido preaching for the day.

Cheers
Ryan

)
Old 07-24-2003, 02:30 AM   #2
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
That's a great dojo to train in Ryan. Peace!

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:51 AM   #3
Kensai
Getting caught up in the self defence and philosphy debate can be very repeatative. I personally think, other than these 2 other aspects of Aikido that I mentioned above Aikido is just plain cool.

Look at O Sensei, a man that smiled right until his death bed and probably even now. I still marvel at the joys of being thrown and the odd occation when my throws work properly.

Rolling, falling, jumping, sword wielding, staff bashingly good fun for all the family.

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 07-24-2003, 12:19 PM   #4
C. Emerson
Dojo: Emerson's Martial Arts
After being in Korean arts my entire life, I was pleasently suprised when I trained in Aikido for the first time. The atmosphere was the best that I have ever seen. I have actually tried to teach my Hapkido classes with the same warm and comfortable atmosphere that I felt when I trained in Aikido.

Chad
Old 07-24-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
I have always said that Aikido is the only martial art that I have participated in where you'll hear laughter on the mat.

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 07-24-2003, 10:04 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States
I too have enjoyed the atmosphere and the people I have trained with. That, all by itself, is enough to keep me training.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-24-2003, 11:14 PM   #7
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
It's a great place to 'be me'. We never discourage having a good time, since the dojo can be therapeutic -- leave your issues at the door to the dojo, they'll be waiting for you when class is over.

Sometimes it's good to remember not to take yourself so damn seriously.

*Phil

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 07-25-2003, 04:27 AM   #8
Kensai
Aikido is a great place to de-stress.

Sometimes when I have problems (usually lady related) going on the mat puts things into perspective.

I'm proud of the fact that Aikido cant be taken away from me. Its a nice feeling.

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 07-26-2003, 12:39 PM   #9
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel
Aikido means alot to me and it helped me through some very hard personal times.

Sometimes, I'm really tired but I go to class and come out with a smile on my face. Out side the dojo, aikido helped me alot in all things in life, dealing with people, at work, at studies, even when walking on a crowded pavement.

I guess a lot of these feelings have to do with my group and not only the aikido itself (though it has its generous share). We have a wonderful group. We do lots of things apart from the classes together, so the atmosphere is great.

Very soon I'm moveing away, but I intend on continueing to come to the dojo, even if it will mean less times a week, but it's my dojo and I feel at home there.

That's just my thoughts.

Enjoy training,

Anat
Old 07-27-2003, 03:29 PM   #10
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
No laughing in our mat, but training here you can see some wide smiles
Old 08-14-2003, 08:37 AM   #11
Joseph Huebner

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo / Battle Creek, MI
Excellent post!

After six months of studying aikido I noticed that I was concentrating way too much on technique and protocol. I thought I was having fun, but my emphasis was not conducive to actually enjoying aikido.

After I tested for rokyu, I started attending class with the emphasis of being relaxed, and most of all, have fun! What a difference this has made in my overall aikido experience.

I believe our dojo is a very special place which has a great group of people and excellent instructors. It's a sanctuary from the stress of daily and professional life.

Joseph

If you think you can, you will. If you think you won't, you're right.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:03 AM   #12
TheFallGuy
Dojo: Jyushinkan - Logan, Utah
Ahhh EXCELLENT THREAD!!!!

That's what I love about Aikido. It is so fun!! In our dojo we're all laughing and joking and flopping around. The atmosphere is so pleasant! It is a place where I feel that I can come and have my problems lifted.

I feel the credit goes to my Senseis! The love and dedication that they have for the art and their attitudes have made Aikido so fun. Three Cheers to them!

We've had people from other arts and other dojos come into ours and say. "Wow, this is such a pleasant feeling." They've all complemented our dojo cho on this. I hope all dojos experience this.

Anat, I feel the same way! I know that next year I'll be graduating and most likely leaving. This dojo is my home and I love it! My problem will be that I'll only rarely be able to return to it.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:53 AM   #13
A. Palumbo
Dojo: Twin Cities Aikido
United_States
Smile Why I keep coming back

Laughing and smiling is one thing I love about practicing aikido!

Classes at my dojo aren't deadly serious affairs - there's laughter, smiling, encouragement, coaching. It's a fantastic atmosphere!

I've never been in an environment before, where everyone is willing to help and encourage. It's wonderful.

I've been practicing for about three months or so, and I still feel totally clueless sometimes, but never really discouraged, and that's becasue of the people I train with.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:36 AM   #14
Arieru

Dojo: The Center City Dojo
andrea, i know exactly how you feel. i've only been at it since july, and the atmosphere created by the senset and the other aikidoka have been the reason why i have been able to learn and have fun at the same time.

one nite, fairly recently, i have an especially grueling day at work. so much so that i stayed for two classes back to back on the same nite. this is something i normally dont do. i left the dojo with such a sense of ease that nothing was able to phase me the next day at work.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:42 PM   #15
A. Palumbo
Dojo: Twin Cities Aikido
United_States
Thanks Anat!

There have been a couple of times when I've walked into the dojo dead tired, and I walk out feeling totally rejuvenated. Getting the hang of a new technique is such a great feeling!

I've never done two classes back to back but I just started going to an early morning class on weekends. It's a smaller group, lots of fun, and very relaxing.

Enjoy your training too!
Old 09-07-2003, 06:28 PM   #16
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States
i agree with you all on the positive good energy. at my dojo,before test times we become more severe and focused to help the others, and i can see the change occur. after tests the energy is lighter and movements shown are different and somewhat more relaxed in tone ,almost like the seasons.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:12 AM   #17
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
For me self-defence is an integral aspect of aikido, but if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't bother!

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-08-2003, 12:40 PM   #18
Patrick Barr
Dojo: Aikido of Modesto
I love my Dojo, and the people in it are great. Although we have lately began to train a litlle more seriously trying to cut back on any extraneous (big word not sure about the spelling) chit chat on the mat during practice, it can be quite dangerous. When I first started 6 months ago, this was a bit of a problem. To much "Talkido" not enough Aikido. We still have fun during training but try to be more respectful to those around us.

To offset this new atmosphere we are trying to organize more social engagements off the mat. I love this sense of community, It is very important to any dojo to build a healthy environment for learning. We still laugh, smile and enjoy ourselves, we just try not to be disruptive to the other students in class.

Having fun on the mat is great but just make sure to be respectful to others by not taking away from learning time.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:45 AM   #19
justinm
United Kingdom
This thread must be something of a record - only 18 messages and yet more than 1300 views!!

The title must work

Justin
Old 09-10-2003, 08:46 AM   #20
Aemon_

Dojo: Mt. Pleasant Aikido
United_States
monday earlier this week was probably my most enjoyable class yet. a few things clicked in my head and i started to understand a few more things. and that night, everytime i got thrown to the mat, i couldnt help having this goofy grin when i got back up for more. yes, i would definitely say that i'm enjoying Aikido.

later

Richie Anderson
http://www.capitalcityaikido.com