Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #26
akiy

Re: Aikido Celebration 2011 - Feb 18-21, 2011 in Hawaii

Hi Chris,

I wanted to wish you the best for the upcoming Aikido Celebration 2011 coming up this weekend! I hope it goes well beyond all expectations.

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #27
AsimHanif

Chris, congrats to you and everyone involved in making the Aikido Celebration happen. I've heard nothing but great things about the event. I'm sorry I couldn't be there but was definitely there in spirit.
It took a great effort and all the event handlers deserve our thanks.

Asim
Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #28
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote: View Post
Chris, congrats to you and everyone involved in making the Aikido Celebration happen. I've heard nothing but great things about the event. I'm sorry I couldn't be there but was definitely there in spirit.
It took a great effort and all the event handlers deserve our thanks.

Asim
Thanks Asim, we survived (mostly) intact and it seems that things went well, without any really disastrous glitches (plenty of minor ones, of course!).

It was big step for Hawaii, both in the various dojo working together and in the scale of the event. I was able to meet and make friends with people that I've never seen before - many of them from Hawaii!

I'd like to thank everybody who came and helped make it such a memorable event.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #29
Graham Farquhar
Dojo: Ki federation of GB
United Kingdom

Chris

It would be great, particularly for those of us who are in the opposite side of the world, to be able to read a synopsis of the weekend perhaps with some photographs. I would be particularly interested in your take on getting the various dojos to work together in putting on such an event.

G
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #30
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Graham Farquhar wrote: View Post
Chris

It would be great, particularly for those of us who are in the opposite side of the world, to be able to read a synopsis of the weekend perhaps with some photographs. I would be particularly interested in your take on getting the various dojos to work together in putting on such an event.

G
Getting the dojos to work together? Now you're asking for trouble .

I'd like to put something like that together once I get back on track with normal life (might take a while). There will also be a DVD of the entire event available (it's in editing right now), contact ric@ricnoyle.com if you're interested.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #31
Chris Li

United_States

A couple of thing that helped us work together:

1) We were careful to avoid any kind of individual branding or use of the AC 2011 branding for individual (ie dojo) use.

2) Everything was strictly non-profit. Doshu warned us not to try and profit from his visit, and not-profiting meant that there was nothing to fight over. Any remaining funds (there may be a small amount, we're still sorting things out) will be donated to charity.

3) We formed a legal entity and had a professional (one of our members, luckily) help us draft a formal set of bylaws that clearly defined how decisions were to be made.

4) The more people got on board the easier it was to get the rest.

There were still plenty of bumps, some small and some not so small, but at least we made it through!

Best,

Chris

Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 AM   #32
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

Kudos to the outstanding hard work of many months of planning, discussion and execution by a dedicated corp of individuals comprising the Organizing Committee of Aikido Celebration 2011!

No battle plan survives the first squirmish, and an undertaking of this historic magnitude certainly encountered its share of challenges, anticipated and otherwise.

Nonetheless, as a first hand observer and honored participant in that magical weekend, I witnessed an awesome display of talent, initiative, patience and fortitude by many individuals and established and long existing Aikido groups and dojos in Hawaii. The famed spirit of Kokua (help), Mahalo ( gratitude ), and of Aloha (uncompromising and unconditional gift of love and respect) was alive and well.

Thank you, Hawaii's awesome family of Aikido faithful, for you certainly came through in the end, and made us all proud to be a part of your marvelous celebration of the Founder's Aikido.

in oneness,