Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-10-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How often do you train until the point of exhaustion in your aikido practice?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 10, 2006:

How often do you train until the point of exhaustion in your aikido practice?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Always
  • Often
  • Sometimes
  • Seldom
  • Never
Here are the current results.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States
Re: Poll: How often do you train until the point of exhaustion in your aikido practice?

When I first began training I was exhausted after nearly every class. Now it happens less often, I think because: a) I have been relaxing more and not muscling everything and b) I have learned more about breathing well. And then there are classes like this past Friday, when I was one of three unranked students in our dojo cho's class - which was full of yudansha. I had no chance of keeping up.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel
Re: Poll: How often do you train until the point of exhaustion in your aikido practice?

My instructor specifically believes in making us work hard. Before class even starts we roll to the point of exhaustion, then work on ashi sabaki, te sabaki and tai sabaki to a new point of exhaustion, then sometimes we solo practice bokken or jo until our hands drop, and then class starts.
After class he asks for volunteers to stay for 15 minutes of physical workout that makes our warmup seem like a pleasant, distant memory.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

I try to train to 90% exhaustion every time.
IMHO, to train to 100% or beyond is asking for injury.
But that 90% is a lot farther than I thought it was on most days.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

Not often enough.

Opportunities to work out that hard for that extended a period of time don't come often. It takes back-to-back advanced Yudansha classes or a seminar or summer camp to get that kind of workout anymore, at least for me. Or helping others prep for a kyu or dan test.

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 12-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

I voted 'sometimes' and have just got home from one of those 'sometimes' at my weekly high grade lesson. I'm absolutely 'knackered' and my face is still aching from the big grin

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

When I voted, I interpreted "exhausted" pretty literally and voted "never". I've been so thrashed on many occasions that I had very little left and once I had to run outside quickly and vomit. I admit to being worn out and so tired I wanted nothing more than to crawl off into a corner, but never so badly I didn't have one more fall or rep left in me. Sounds like symantics and not endurance as what many of you have described is what I've experienced too. Great, ain't it?

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 12-12-2006, 03:54 AM   #8
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote:
When I voted, I interpreted "exhausted" pretty literally and voted "never". I've been so thrashed on many occasions that I had very little left and once I had to run outside quickly and vomit. I admit to being worn out and so tired I wanted nothing more than to crawl off into a corner, but never so badly I didn't have one more fall or rep left in me. Sounds like symantics and not endurance as what many of you have described is what I've experienced too. Great, ain't it?
That's like the interpretation that I have, i.e exhaustion being the physical state where I have to consciously will my body to get up (move) when it would rather just stay put. Those times seem to be more rare, and often I think because of an awareness of how much energy I can handle receiving back without risking long-term injury. So many details to work on...

-Will
Old 12-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #9
pointy
Dojo: aikido of park slope

i would love to get exhausted on a regular basis, it just doesnt happen enough anymore. im helping someone prepare for a dan test, ive been doing hour long sessions of taking ukemi, constant breakfalls, etc - that barely did anything to me. i miss it! i feel like im bragging, im not...if i were to go to a judo school and have to do push ups and all that kind of thing before class, now that would be really tiring since i never do that stuff

i think we get used to the amount of workout we get, possibly the limit of what an aikido class can offer. then we have to pass that in order to really get tired, it just isnt going to happen if youre already used to what's happening in the span of a class. unless new things get added to the training.

what does tire me out though is the standing with all my weight on one leg for a minute or 2 kind of things we do sometimes. like to build a foundation for how to place your weight. those i feel at night when im stretching out in bed, etc but they dont tend to exhaust me all over, i just feel it in my legs later. my hands might get really tired after a lot of training too...
Old 12-13-2006, 03:51 AM   #10
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

We do it sometimes, used to do it more but in the last couple of years, we actually do it less (or perhaps I am getting better and use less physical effort while practicing ?).

One should remember that being exhausted, just like working very fast and with "full force" is not the right approach for learning. It is only good for testing what you already know and getting a feedback, improving the points you have identified and finessing your movements is done much better when practicing in full alertness and energy, and then doing it slowly with attention to any minor detail.

Amir
Old 12-13-2006, 04:39 AM   #11
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

If you do marathon running with a group, as I did when I first started aikido, these issues always arise.

You have no strength left, but you have to keep going; there is a major hill right in front of you and there are still x miles left to go.

So you learn to pace yourself. And the lessons learned while young are still valuable when you get older.

P A Goldsbury
Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 AM   #12
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

I clicked seldom, but I'm not sure if my version of exaustion is the same as some of the posters here! If you train regularly to exaustion then obviously you must be very fit. I would say, at the point of exaustion I would be barely able to stand, may have uncontrollable shakes, definately feel like vomiting or shi**ing myself. I've managed to get my pulse to 220 before without feeling these syptoms. Ueshiba used to do bokken cuts 'till he passed out. That to me is exaustion. Feeling out of breath is just being unfit. Similarly feeling like you want to stop but don't could be at various levels of intensity (maybe that night you're just unenthusiatic).

I'd agree with previous posts, that training to exaustion is not always beneficial for skills learning. However often during gradings I don't start the grading until the student is close to exaustion - in this way I can see what their body can do under stress, rather than see what their mind can do when they are thinking about the techniques. Also helps build up psychological determination.

P.S. we've started doing 3 mins of striking on the focus mits pretty much each week) which is very tiring. One of my students looked like he was dying he was so exausted (bent over, deathly pale) and I shouted 'go on, hurt the b***tard' - to my suprise he suddenly perked up and hit harder and faster than I've ever seen anyone hit before or since!

Last edited by ian : 12-14-2006 at 07:40 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---