Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
themagicman
United_States
Books on Aikido

Hi there,
I am wondering what would be some great books on Aikido? What would you guys recommend?
Any help is greatly appreciated .Thanks in advance..
Old 02-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori
Re: Books on Aikido

Takemusu Aikido Special Edition "Budo" Commentary on the 1938 Training Manual of Morihei Ueshiba by "Morihiro Saito 9th Dan"

Last edited by Riai Maori : 02-14-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: updated
Old 02-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Millsy
Dojo: Aiki-Centre
Australia

I don't find books on techniques very useful, nice pictures, but you will learn all that going to training. But I Just read - "Vibration and Connection: The Aikido That I Pursue" by Seishiro Endo. The best thing I have read on aikido (its about the approach to aikido). Not a big book but a thoughtful one and an easy read.

Budovideos.com now have it in stock. No need to order from Japan
Old 02-15-2014, 02:27 AM   #4
Sojourner
Australia

Hello Peter, I am a newer student to Aikido also and have bought a number of books on Aikido for I suspect the same reasons as yourself,

What has helped me the most are these,

1, Aikido for Life by Gaku Homma, this is an introductory book to Aikido and is the best one I have found, not many diagrams or instructions, more philosophy and a real understanding of what you are getting yourself into, highly recommended.

2, Dyamic Aikido and Total Aikido, both by Gozu Shioda, these are the diagram, photos and instruction books that IMO are amongst the very best written.

3, The Art of Peace by John Stevens, translations of the philosophies of O Sensei. Very helpful and encouraging.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
David Norton
Dojo: Pax River Aikikai / California, MD
United_States

It depends on what you're looking for. I agree with Tony; learning techniques from books is tough.

But, if you're a new student, I would highly recommend Greg O'Connor's "The Aikido Student Handbook. Great stuff. Also (for new or old students) anything by Gaku Homma.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
ChrisMikk

Dojo: Mugenjuku
United_States

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post
1. Aikido for Life by Gaku Homma, this is an introductory book to Aikido and is the best one I have found, not many diagrams or instructions, more philosophy and a real understanding of what you are getting yourself into, highly recommended.
I would be pretty dubious of thinking you can understand what you are getting yourself into when you are still a beginner. Just train and try not to get too invested in belief systems that you might reject in the future.

I am also dubious of the idea that there is one "thing" that all aikido students are getting themselves into. As far as I can tell, aikido is many things depending on which style or school you are training in, what age you are, how physically talented you are, how smart you are, how spiritual you are, etc.

Finally, I don't know a lot about Gaku Homma other than investigating his uchi-deshi program at one time and reading his non-aikido books. My sense is that Gaku Homma has his own concept/agenda of which aikido is a part. That doesn't mean it is bad aikido, but take with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post
2, Dyamic Aikido and Total Aikido, both by Gozu Shioda, these are the diagram, photos and instruction books that IMO are amongst the very best written.
This is pretty accurate description: the best of diagram instruction books.

More useful than Dynamic Aikido, however, is Aikido Shugyo, which is available from Shindokan Books. Shioda Gozo writes in a very straightforward manner about technical details as well as broad philosophical ideas and kinaesthetics of kokyu power, etc. It can provide a lot of insight if combined with a training regimen. Shugyo is not a book for beginners or advanced students; it is the type of book you read and re-read as you are training. There are sample pages here.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
themagicman
United_States

Hi there,
Thanks for the help and thanks for the replies
Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 AM   #8
dps

Aikido And The Dynamic Sphere by Westbrook & Ratti
Old 02-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
dps

Not a book yet is Professor Goldsbury's "Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation" articles here on Aikiweb.
You will get a better understanding of of the culture, people, history, events and motivations surrounding Aikido.

Dps
Old 02-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
Aiki-Doh-Ki
Dojo: Aikido Of Red Bank
United_States

Aikido Shugyo

Harmony in Confrontation

by Gozo Shioda
Old 02-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #11
crbateman

I don't know where to begin... So much depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your reading.

Maybe just get them ALL... That's what I did.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #12
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
I don't know where to begin... So much depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your reading.

Maybe just get them ALL... That's what I did.
Aikido and the Harmony of Nature by Mitsugi Saotome Sensei
This is a classic... this is one you can read once a year and get something new each time.

Journey to the Heart of Aikido - Linda Holiday
Newly published... this is a really wonderful book on the teachings of Motomichi Anno, the teacher who took over oversight of the Shingu dojo after Hikitsuchi Sensei passed away. Inspirational... it reminded me of why I have stayed in Aikido for almost 40 years.

Vibration and Connection - Seishiro Endo
Endo Sensei's take on why we train and how to train. Endo Sensei was a senior student of Yamaguchi Seigo Sensei. Another teacher who is serious about Aikido as a means of personal transformation. I have always found him to be thoughtful about his Aikido and he takes his own unique path which he describes in this book.

None of these books is about technique. They are all about the spiritual / philosophical underpinnings of Aikido and the why & how one trains to make Aikido a truly trans-formative practice.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
crbateman

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Aikido and the Harmony of Nature by Mitsugi Saotome Sensei
This is a classic... this is one you can read once a year and get something new each time.

Journey to the Heart of Aikido - Linda Holiday
Newly published... this is a really wonderful book on the teachings of Motomichi Anno, the teacher who took over oversight of the Shingu dojo after Hikitsuchi Sensei passed away. Inspirational... it reminded me of why I have stayed in Aikido for almost 40 years.

Vibration and Connection - Seishiro Endo
Endo Sensei's take on why we train and how to train. Endo Sensei was a senior student of Yamaguchi Seigo Sensei. Another teacher who is serious about Aikido as a means of personal transformation. I have always found him to be thoughtful about his Aikido and he takes his own unique path which he describes in this book.

None of these books is about technique. They are all about the spiritual / philosophical underpinnings of Aikido and the why & how one trains to make Aikido a truly trans-formative practice.
A big +1... These are all excellent choices. These writings can help the reader to experience the history, flavor and driving thoughts behind Aikido.

A choice of Gozo Shioda titles to add to the list: "Aikido Shugyo" and "Aikido: My Spiritual Journey". Either will do, as there is pretty much the same info in either title.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
Hilary
Dojo: Torrey Pines Aiki Kai
United_States

Not an Aikido book, but a book every dan level martial artist should read.

Facing Violence by Rory Miller.

If you are yudansha you have a different status under the law you need to understand the consequences of your potential actions. There is conflict psychology and more. The book is inexpensive I highly recommend it.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Adam Huss

United_States

I'm not a big technique-book person, but I just want to point out that Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere isn't a traditional 'technique book,' its more like concepts and principles...at least that's my take on it. Haven't read it in several years.

I love the Shioda books, they are more biographical and simply tell an interesting story....relating how one lives a bushido lifestyle in modern times.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

one of my favorites, though without much to do with technique, is Remembering O'Sensei.
http://www.amazon.com/Remembering-O-...ing+o%27sensei
Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
homeward
Dojo: Dyffryn Nantlle
Wales
Talking Re: Books on Aikido

It's a lot like dancing by Terry Dobson.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #18
kuzushi
United_States

For me, the new one - "Understanding aikido"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EN33SYK