Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
tim evans
United_States
tendonitis......help

To many nikkyo,sankyo variations now have me tweaked I,m popping advil like crazy any tips thanks
Old 08-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: tendonitis......help

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
To many nikkyo,sankyo variations now have me tweaked I,m popping advil like crazy any tips thanks
Tendinitis is one of those things that if not allowed to heal will turn into a nasty chronic injury.
Question to ask yourself is why as uke you are not moving and tapping early enough to not get cranked on- if you cannot solve this you may heal but you sure as heck will just reinjure.
Second thing: there is no shortcut; soft tissue injuries take weeks to heal and if you reinjure during healing process you essentially reset to the onset of the original injury in terms of healing time.
Third thing: taking antiinflammatory for a day or two may help but long term the studies are mixed and there is some evidence they may hinder healing. Using them to mask pain and keep training is, to my mind, madness, and I hope you are not doing that.

Rest, ice plus your healing methods of choice - various folks swear by compression, moxa, acupuncture, topical or internal herbal preparations.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Tom Bisio sells a product on Kamwo (they have a website). It is a tendon liniment that works remarkably well. I brew my own (his formulation and he got the chinese dry "stuff" for me, and sell it less than Kamwo (same price that he sells it to his patients). Stuff works remarkably well at speeding the healing process.

Marc Abrams
Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
lbb
United_States

Like Marc, I'm also a fan of herbal remedies (and Bisio knows his stuff), but I think that while the words "speed the healing process" are literally true, they can also be misleading. Nothing will "speed the healing process" if, at the same time, you are doing things that slow the healing process and/or aggravate the injury. If you add the right herbal remedy to everything that Janet said, you can get some benefit. If you decide that Janet's advice is just too hard or too tiresome or takes too long, and you're going to try some liniment instead, things will happen exactly as Janet predicted. Fix the cause, treat the symptom, give your body time to heal, learn what to do to prevent recurrences, become sensitive to your body so you know when it needs attention and can treat injury in the early stages rather than letting it become chronic. Tendinitis takes a long time to heal, and it will never heal unless you're diligent about it.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
crbateman

Most Chinese herbal stores have several variations of "dit da jow", which is a topical herbal concoction (you probably don't want to know exactly what's in it ). The stuff I get here stinks a bit, but works very well for those aches and pains and strains and...
Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States

I had a lot of problems with my wrists and tendons when I started Aikido. I agree with limiting the stress on your existing injuries. It will not heal if you keep aggravating it. Take it easy. No need to be a tough guy. "Tap Early, Tap Often". Save your body. You're going to be in it a while. I did acupuncture and it worked wonders for my wrists! That's me and I know everyone is different. I also did magnetic wrist wraps. I know everyone here will jump all over me for this, but hey, they worked for me and I know several guys who say it worked for them. Yeah, it's not for everyone but it worked for me. That's all I'm saying.

Good luck! Good health!

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Like others have said, rest is key. One thing I found that helped me was actually taping my wrists. Gave it some extra support and my partners had a reminder that my wrist was sore by being able to visualize the wrap. I like to use colors other then white for a few reasons.
A) I'm a girl and I like pretty colors
B) White kind of blends in, where black, red or blue tends to draw more attention

Make sure you tape it beyond the time your wrist feels better. Just because it feels better doesn't mean it has healed and you don't want to reaggravate it. I taped my wrist about two or three weeks after it started feeling normal again.

Also, like the others said, be proactive and move with your partner and don't wait until it hurts to tap. Tap out BEFORE the pain sets in. Best of luck.

Last edited by ninjaqutie : 08-30-2010 at 10:03 AM.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
cconstantine

Dojo: Kinokawa Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Don't overlook possible dislocation of your wrist bones. Those tiny little bones do move around. Consider asking your sensei (depending on his/her experience and knowledge), a general medical doctor, a well-trained massage therapist or a chiropractor to superficially check your wrists.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Rest, ice. Consider laser therapy. Get checked out.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
TreyPrice

Dojo: Capitol City Aikido Club
United_States

Red athletic tape! Years ago I took a nasty nikyo and had to favor that side for months. I used red athletic tape to mark that hand. Then my training partner know which one to take it easy on, but for a few months I was a one sided Aikidoka.

my .02
Old 09-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
gdandscompserv

United_States

I had it in both elbows. Took over a year to completely heal.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #12
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Ricky Wood wrote: View Post
I had it in both elbows. Took over a year to completely heal.
I have had tennis elbow in both elbows too -- at the same time (got it from a lot of whitewater kayaking + bad technique + non-ergonomic paddle, not tennis). It was an educational experience, to say the least. Tennis elbow straps helped a lot in preventing further aggravation -- and as I've said before, in the case of tendinitis, I'm a big fan of taping or bracing for daily activities -- I generally find that a sprain or a case of tendinitis does not fully heal for me unless I spend a period of time when I just tape it every day, not just when it hurts or I have some athletic type activity planned.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I'm a big fan of taping or bracing for daily activities -- I generally find that a sprain or a case of tendinitis does not fully heal for me unless I spend a period of time when I just tape it every day, not just when it hurts or I have some athletic type activity planned.
Some folks do well w/ the compression/support, others seem to "fight" it. For those who don't like a commercial brace, proper taping can really be a huge help. There are books available (I'm at work now and don't remember the name of the one I have at home) that give very good step by step illustrated instructions for proper taping.

Janet Rosen
Old 09-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
lbb
United_States

"Athletic Taping and Bracing", I forget the author but you can find it on Amazon. Broken down by part of the body, it explains common athletic injuries (and some not so common ones), their causes, prevention, treatment and rehab (with a focus on taping and bracing, obvi).
Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
Janet Rosen

Cool!
I use "Martial Arts Injury Care and Prevention" by Trish Bare Grounds, also on Amazon, simply because I happened to find it on sale gently used at a local bookstore yrs ago.
Whatever resource one uses, it really does help to know HOW to tape and not just start sticking it on :-)

Janet Rosen
Old 09-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Whatever resource one uses, it really does help to know HOW to tape and not just start sticking it on :-)
I totally agree. A lot of people don't know how to properly tape an ankle, foot, wrist, etc. I'm not a pro at taping, but over the years, I have picked up some taping knowledge from my personal trainer and my tennis teams sports medicine guru. A lot of people seem to tape the area too lose or too tight or don't use enough tape to give the area proper support.

On another note, I am going to have to look those two books up. Anyone have experience with kinesio tape?

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #17
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
I totally agree. A lot of people don't know how to properly tape an ankle, foot, wrist, etc. I'm not a pro at taping, but over the years, I have picked up some taping knowledge from my personal trainer and my tennis teams sports medicine guru. A lot of people seem to tape the area too lose or too tight or don't use enough tape to give the area proper support.

On another note, I am going to have to look those two books up. Anyone have experience with kinesio tape?
kinesio tape FTW!

i use it for shoulders, knees, back. its great stuff. lets you stay relatively active while an injury recuperates.

like you and janet mentioned... with any kind of taping you have to learn how to do it. kinesio taping is very specific in terms of how much stretch, origin to insertion of muscles, etc.

i never leave for a seminar without a roll

practice hard
Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #18
Janet Rosen

Never heard of kinesio tape - guess I better do some research! Thanks, fellow aikiwebbers.

Janet Rosen
Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #19
Mark Peckett
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of Great Britain
United Kingdom

With nikkyo I always tell my students to go down first and discuss whether it hurt later; the same applies to sankyo - I leap back about three feet as soon as I feel the technique coming on. It doesn't take long to learn when the technique was beginning to be applied effectively, and when it wasn't and you can provide useful feedback after you've protected yourself.

I realise this doesn't provide a cure for your current tendonitis, but hopefully it might prevent a re-occurence when you're recovered.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #20
thisisnotreal

Have you guys seen the 'pre-cut' kinesio tape? for various applications...see the pic for the upper knee..or elbow, shoulder, etc.. ones. Makes it easier..i hear this is good stuff. Probably not super cheap...guess you can copy the templates..make your own.here<fwiw. Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #21
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
I'm told by my boss that you can't just get the stuff and slap it on -- it has to be applied by a professional...um...not sure what. Anyway, his wife is a professional whateveritis, so he's all set. I kinda wish that wasn't true -- there have been times I could really use it (he swears by it).
Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #22
ramenboy

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I'm told by my boss that you can't just get the stuff and slap it on -- it has to be applied by a professional...um...not sure what.
^ which is what i said in my earlier post. its very specific in its application.

but it works well.

mary, i'd love to have that on my business card: 'certified professional whateveritis'

practice hard
Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #23
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Mark Peckett wrote: View Post
With nikkyo I always tell my students to go down first and discuss whether it hurt later; the same applies to sankyo - I leap back about three feet as soon as I feel the technique coming on. It doesn't take long to learn when the technique was beginning to be applied effectively, and when it wasn't and you can provide useful feedback after you've protected yourself.

I realise this doesn't provide a cure for your current tendonitis, but hopefully it might prevent a re-occurence when you're recovered.
Should probably start a diff't thread, but... I've seen shihan give someone major grief for going with the technique before it's REALLY ON... I guess this may be intended to prevent people not learning to properly apply the technique - if uke goes only when it's properly applied and everything's getting very tight, then it's legit, and nage learns the right lines to apply pressures..

OTOH, people can get hurt if this approach is taken too vigorously..
W
Old 09-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #24
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
^ which is what i said in my earlier post. its very specific in its application.

but it works well.

mary, i'd love to have that on my business card: 'certified professional whateveritis'
Hey jerome are you coming to the penny bernath seminar nov, 20 weekend at aikido of cincinnati ? btw the pains eased up but I,m taking it real easy
Old 09-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #25
ramenboy

Quote:
Hey jerome are you coming to the penny bernath seminar nov, 20 weekend at aikido of cincinnati ? btw the pains eased up but I,m taking it real easy
tim

marking my calendar as we speak. i'll have my kinesio tape handy :P

she, bernath sensei and lizzie lynn sensei are also at aikido of santa barbara which would be great to go to too...

back to the thread subject though, chiba sensei would always say ukemi is absorbing the technique with the whole body. so move your body in a way that the whole body is affected, not just your wrist. don't pull away because it will obviously HURT! get in close to tori for you nikyo ukemi.

regards to charlie sensei, shawn and annunziata

see you guys up there!

practice hard