Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-07-2002, 04:30 AM   #1
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile whats your most embarassing aikido moment?

I thought this would be fun, and i've posted it here in anonymous so you can remain so if you wish but half the fun is knowing who you are

i'll start,

basicaly we were doing Iriminage, just when i started and i didnt have my Gi just some shorts and a t-shirt well i went down like a sack of spuds (gotta remember those breakfalls) and of course wearing sports shorts n boxers it got a bit breezy in the nether regions, well my Uke simply coughed as i got up laughed and said he understood, y'know these things happen, then suggested i threw him around for a while.

what a good idea.

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-07-2002, 05:42 AM   #2
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
LOL - my most embarassing moment usually occurs just after I say "OK, I can do that technique!", or any time I attempt anything with the word "Shihonage" in it.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:52 AM   #3
MaylandL
Hmmm...where do I begin

There was the one time my Gi pants ended round my ankles after being thrown by Sensei. Luckily I had my hakama on but it still stopped the class

Another time I was having some problems doing a technique that Sensei asked me to do on him. So I told a joke while I was struggling with the technique and trying to take his balance. He laughed at the joke and it was enough to break his concentration and consequently centre. Unfortunately I put a tad too much into the technique. I ended up as his uke for a series of randori demos for the class and felt like a basketball in a Globetrotters vs Chicago Bulls Match

At least aikido is fun. Happy training all
Old 08-09-2002, 02:41 AM   #4
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Hey, we're all friends here right?

I once had on brand new red underwear under my gi pants. It never even occured to me that the sweat might cause the dye to bleed into my pants, which it did. Nodody said anything to me but when I go home I found the entire butt of my pants was a very dark pink

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-09-2002, 04:50 AM   #5
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 1a42b5b9
Anonymous User
At the end of class, we were doing hai sun do (sp? that back stretch where you get underneath someone's center and bend forward and arch your spine, so they're lying on your back). I started stretching out a tall, heavy ex-bodybuilder who had just started practicing with us. No problem, I thought - I've stretched out people heavier than that before.

What I didn't realize was that his center of gravity was higher than usual. As I bent forward, he slowly started sliding forward down my back, and because of his weight I couldn't lift him up again. While horrified visions of him taking the fall badly (he was new, remember) flashed through my head, he just calmly said something like, "Oops, lost it" and rolled down perfectly.

All this in front of sensei and the rest of the students, who had finished up already. Boy, did they all laugh their a**es off at me.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:34 AM   #6
jaxonbrown
chicken fingers w/ hot sauce for dinner

koshi nage in class

blaaaaaP!
Old 08-09-2002, 09:10 AM   #7
Genex

Smile

Hehe in class last night we were doing tenchi nage, although we were cheating (found a crash mat) seeing as were all quite new we dont want to kill anyone, anyway milky comes running at me at great speed i'm aleady about 6 ft from the crashmat and as he goes for me i tenkan and throw, well i thought he wouldnt come down, i swear you could launch a 747 with this throw he just clipped teh back of the mat and managed to right himself scary for a moment tho, how on earth would you breakfall from that?

eek

I'm gonna get him a Gi with a big S on the front seeing as he kept coming back and asking me to do it again?

pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 08-11-2002, 09:35 AM   #8
Jessica
One time after about a year in Aikido, we were doing WARM UP forward rolls, and I some how managed to tear (pull, hurt) my shoulder really bad...

I still don't know what I did, Sensei said that roll looked really good...

Jessica
Old 08-12-2002, 12:34 PM   #9
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: ccdbc9d0
Anonymous User
Sensei 1 had Sensei 2 as Uke ... one night we were discussing Kiai and how to effectively deliver you need to relax your into your hara , and relax your sphincters. Sensei 1 attacked .. then Sensei 2 demonstrated that lower "kiai" which stopped Sensei in his tracks as he struggled to remain composed he had been paralyzed with sound!
Old 08-12-2002, 12:46 PM   #10
SeiserL

United_States
I don't know that I have ever been embarassed in Aikido. I sure have been humbled on a regular basis.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-16-2002, 03:37 AM   #11
jeda
Not really an embarassing moment for me but...

I had a newbie ask me for a date in the middle of practice. Not while we were milling about, but while I was executing a technique on him.

What ever happen to tact?
Old 08-16-2002, 04:36 AM   #12
Ta Kung
My sensei was using me as uke, to demonstrate ikkyo for the newbies. They were about 50 pepople there watching... My sensei started the technique and then paused just before straightening out my arm, and said:

"Be careful when you reach this point in ikkyo. If you go to near your uke... Well, Patrik (that would be me) has been with us for quite some time. So if you'd do it this way, look at what he would do..."

And then he waited for me to show everyone how smart i was. Alas, I couldn't remember! So in panic i tried a forward roll, just to get away. I figured the newbies wouldn't think it was wrong anyway... So i did. And then my sensei, with a suprised look on his face, just kept on to my arm and did some sort of kokyo nage. Splat! Right on my back seconds after i thought I'd escaped!

The crowd was pleased, they tought it was the way it was supposed to be done. It sure wasn't! And I made an arse of myself infront of my more experienced aikidoka friends. Looking back, it was rather cool though.

Regards,

Patrik

(Btw. My teacher was thinking of the move you can make, by turning around and using your elbow to smash nages face. This can only be done properly if nage goes to near uke before straightening out ukes arm.)
Old 08-16-2002, 04:39 AM   #13
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Jessica Dalton (jdalton51) wrote:
Not really an embarassing moment for me but...

I had a newbie ask me for a date in the middle of practice. Not while we were milling about, but while I was executing a technique on him.

What ever happen to tact?
So what happend ? did you go out with him ?

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-16-2002, 08:41 AM   #14
jeda
eh gads, no. He took me so by surprise that I said What? which I think deterred him.

Really though, what kinda guy asks a girl out in the middle of an attack?
Old 08-16-2002, 08:50 AM   #15
Genex

Smile

You never know he may go for the well defended type?

I dunno maybe your just good looking and ppl want to be with you, Have you considered a carrer in film? you could be a good looking female segal ? or maybe not as lame

lol

Well actualy being asked out in the middle of a technique is better then being asked

"So do you fancy coming back to my Plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......SMASH.....Ow"

just imagine if you had accepted and fallen in love in ten maybe twenty years time when the kids are watching and your both fighting

"Mum's thrown dad through the window again"

"yeah well he did try for a Yonkyo."

"yeah s'pose yer right really"

pete

Old 08-16-2002, 09:07 AM   #16
Hogan
Tongue

Quote:
Jessica Dalton (jdalton51) wrote:

Really though, what kinda guy asks a girl out in the middle of an attack?
Perhaps they are one and the same ??
Old 08-16-2002, 09:07 AM   #17
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Quote:
Peter Lovatt (Genex) wrote:
you could be a good looking female segal ?
Are you meaning to say Segal is not female??

If it walks like a girl, if it talks like a girl and wears its hear like a girl......

Oops, I think I just insulted the dutch marines

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 08-16-2002, 11:24 AM   #18
wanderingwriath
Well....if you're going to have someone ask you out that you'd like to say no to....what BETTER time than when you happen to be about to throw them through the air or pin them to the ground? Sounds like perfect aiki to me.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:08 PM   #19
Ben_t_shodan
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Michigan, Seiwa Dojo
This was more funny than embarrassing. I went to the Seidokan summer camp in CA this year. It was very hot on the mat with little wind blowing. So someone had gotten a bunch of ice-cream sandwiches.

Well after class I was walking around with my camera and I got a really good picture of one of the high ranking instructors, he was in mid bite (see the attachment). He just saw the flash and looked at me, I took off running (a odd sight to see, me still in my gi and dress. And I‘m not quite a small person). I run through the parking lot and he catches up to me. Well to make this shorter, I got the ice cream out of my hare. Dose any one know how hard it is to get chocolate out of a gi?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	larry.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	77  
Old 08-19-2002, 11:46 PM   #20
Bronson

Oh Ben that was good. The next time I see Wadahara sensei I'm gonna have to "ask" him about that

Bronson
Old 08-21-2002, 11:08 PM   #21
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 802d43cc
Anonymous User
Try Hydrogen Peroxide. Works good on Grass stains.

Signed,

Sensei who put the choclate stains in your gi.

P.S. Nice picture. Me thinks I owe you more for posting it on this web site.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:26 PM   #22
Ben_t_shodan
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Michigan, Seiwa Dojo
Quote:
wrote:
P.S. Nice picture. Me thinks I owe you more for posting it on this web site.

you don't owe me.. you owe Bronson. No one would know it was you if he didn't use your name.

Ben

p.s. I like the chocolate in my gi... it has a nice smell.. well it is better that sweat.

Last edited by Ben_t_shodan : 08-22-2002 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:57 PM   #23
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Hi Ben;

I can see someone getting a bit upset with a 19 year old Nidan - I can also see a 19 year old Nidan thinking wrong things. When I was 19 I was real cocky about some things. Not saying that's the case but if its the former you can't do anything about it, if its the latter - well just think what it is that's annoying the person.

Here the youngest Nidan is 17 but its a student Nidan - for the 17th birthday the person was presented a white belt and told to start over. Didn't take them very long but - well hopefully you will get the point.

I really hope your post had nothing to do with the anonymous post that popped up a little while ago.
Quote:
Ben Doubleday (Ben_t_shodan) wrote:
I hope someone can help, I have a little problem. I have practiced for many years in Aikido, not as many as I would like but still. I am 19 and getting ready to take my Nidan test, there is one Aikidoka that is causing a little problem. I don't know if he knows it but that I think he doesn't treat other Aikidoka rite, me for one.

you don't owe me.. you owe Bronson. No one would know it was you if he didn't use your name.

Ben

p.s. I like the chocolate in my gi... it has a nice smell.. well it is better that sweat.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-22-2002, 01:09 AM   #24
Bronson

Quote:
No one would know it was you if he didn't use your name.
Sure they would. The picture link you posted had "Larry" in the file name. How many high ranking instructors named Larry do we have? That's the only reason I knew who it was. If I can make the leap of logic ANYBODY can make the leap of logic.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-22-2002, 12:57 PM   #25
danielacollins
Dojo: Calif. State Univ Long Beach Seidokan Aikido
by the way....

for those of you who don't know larry (wadahara sensei), he's known as the biggest kid (meant in a good way). he's able to mix with instructors and students, both young and old. everybody loves him, and he always makes us all laugh. it seems that at every seidokan function (ie. picnics, camps, workshops) he can always be found playing with the kids (and young adults). i can't tell you how many times i've seen him chasing after someone with at water gun or a bunch of water balloons. he is truly a unique individual, and i'm lucky to have been able to train with him for so long.

by the way larry, you know that i've got to post that picture on our club website

thanks for the picture ben !!!

--daniel

Daniel Collins
California State Univ.
Seidokan Aikido
www.seidokan.net/csulb

danielcoll@aol.com