Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States
Circle Shinki Rengo noob here!

Hi Aikido forums.

This is my intoductory thread. About a month ago a friend of mine from school brought a book called "Aikido, and the Harmony of Nature." I flipped through a few pages because he said it was about a crazy form of martial arts that allowed you to channel your opponents energy against themselves. Seemed interesting. Of course I soon realized that the concept of Aikido go's much deeper than martial arts technique. The book's philosophy was very enlightening, I couldnt stop reading until I had finsished it. I found a local Dojo through this wonderful website. My second course was yesterday, although I really wished it were more than once a week! I am slowly starting to learn about feeling Uke's center and being able to keep it.....hey, I said sloooooowwlllyy...hahaha. Im glad this site is out there because without it I may not have found my Dojo. Thank you.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Shinki Rengo noob here!

Hi Mikel,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

I hadn't read anything, just heard my dad talk about it for like two minutes, and I already loved it. It's magic, isn't it?? You can be paralyzed and still love it. I got to my first class so in love with it, that it was the most perfect hour of my life, even as I did everything completely wrong. Every class is the most perfect hour of my life, each and every one of them are the one. That's magic too.

I hope you love Aikido as much as everyone here does. I know you do.
Lucy.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Mike Hamer

United_States

I love Lucy.

And Aikido.

Thanks for the support, and may the magic of Aikido put your mind at ease.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Hi Mikel,

I'm sure you'll find aikiweb a good place to be. We have people like Lucy here, one of the forums younger members who can hold her own when practicing with the older folk

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:
I hadn't read anything, just heard my dad talk about it for like two minutes, and I already loved it. It's magic, isn't it?? You can be paralyzed and still love it. I got to my first class so in love with it, that it was the most perfect hour of my life, even as I did everything completely wrong. Every class is the most perfect hour of my life, each and every one of them are the one. That's magic too.

I hope you love Aikido as much as everyone here does. I know you do.
Lucy.
Great post Lucy .My first steps into aikido were similar, and I still enjoy every class as both a teacher and a student after 14 years. I'm sure you will too! You are lucky to have found the art of aikido so young. If the passion stays, you will benefit in ways that you can't even imagine yet.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
Mike Hamer

United_States

I cant wait until Thursday!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Lucy Smith
Uruguay

Wow thank you for liking my post

Proud to be one of the youngest
It's strange that there aren't so much teens here, I mean there are so many teens practicing Aikido, what are they doing??? Probably playing those weird games I never even tried to understand LOL.
Well they're the ones who are missing everything!!

Best,
Lucy.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:

It's strange that there aren't so much teens here, I mean there are so many teens practicing Aikido, what are they doing??? Probably playing those weird games I never even tried to understand LOL.

Best,
Lucy.
Maybe the lack of teens here is because some of the discussions can get pretty technical or deep, but I'm sure if they hung out on the Humour or General Sections they would find out that most people here are happy to talk to anyone. It's not as if they don't know how to work the internet is it? You are right they are the ones missing out.

Personally I am glad that someone like you is here, the open mind and enthusiasm of your youth, is refreshing to a cynical old duffer like me

As we used to say when I was your age,

"Keep the faith"

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
Mike Hamer

United_States

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:

Best,
Lucy.
I am an avid gamer, but I loves Aikido. Im 18
Old 06-20-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
Lucy Smith
Uruguay

Wow, so we have another teen!! Yeah, we can do it!! LOL. I'm not so young any more, now that I turned 17... In a year I'll even be able to buy my own alcohol, you know, in those few places were they actually DO ask for I.D. Not that I'm a drunk, don't get me wrong... I mean I'll be able to, if I want...
And I'll be able to drive too. We have to be 18 here, while you have to be 21 to drink I don't like driving anyway, so...

Where am I heading with this post??? I have no idea.
Anyway, it would be cool to know who's the youngest, so if there's anyone out there who is younger than ME, show yourself!!!

Muahahahahahahahaha
Lucy.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:38 PM   #11
Mike Hamer

United_States

awwww, you got me beat Lucy.

What country are you residing in?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #12
Lucy Smith
Uruguay

Uruguay, which is the country I was born. I've actually always lived in the same house, same room
In case you don't know, Uruguay is in South America, and we speak Spanish.

And for those strange people who don't know the world they live in we have cars, and houses and schools and DVD's and cellphones and iPods and food and water and beer. We don't dance naked around fires, nor we wash our teeth with branches, nor we lack education or pavement on the streets or hectic shopping centers.

Sorry for that!!
It's just that my cousins moved to United States a couple of years ago and their classmates couldn't believe that we have cars and go to school!!! And I've found some people still believe that!!! So I need to be a little bit patriotic and defend my country
We have amazing beaches to surf, too
Old 06-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
Mike Hamer

United_States

It's actually pretty sad, most kids these days in America dont know a lick about other countrys. In fact, more people from countrys outside of the U.S probably know more about us than we do! 90% of the kids in my American government class couldnt even pass the immigration test (myself included )

I cant wait until my 3rd Aikido class tomorrow!!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
Lucy Smith
Uruguay

Quote:
Mikel Hamer wrote:
It's actually pretty sad, most kids these days in America dont know a lick about other countrys. In fact, more people from countrys outside of the U.S probably know more about us than we do!
You are darn right about that. There's the U.S of the movies and there's the real one, and we know both from "head to toe". Everything is always covered up in the world, sometimes at levels we cannot imagine. The world sucks... (not sure if I can use that word, sorry if I shouldn't) but what can we do... practice Aikido and try to forget!! Be happy
I'm not attacking here... please don't think I am. I don't love my government either.
We can't change this... can we.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #15
Mike Hamer

United_States

The only thing we can hope to do is change the world around us by refining and improving our own karma.

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido