Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-18-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Article: Customizing the Dogi by "The Mirror"

Discuss the article, "Customizing the Dogi" by "The Mirror" here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/themirror/2005_11.html
Old 11-18-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Article: Customizing the Dogi by "The Mirror"

hmmm....I just looked at the pants...yknow, I think for the full "potholder" effect, I used 2 layers of Pellon fleece! you can use one layer, as described in the article, for a more um, rational and normal, padding :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-19-2005, 01:06 AM   #3
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States

That was a good article Janet. A follow-up article idea for us severely sewing challenged folks is a how-to on sewing hems. Many dogi legs and arms are too long. People roll them up and they unroll in a few minutes.

BTW - some martial arts stores sell pants that have elastic waistbands. I got one of mine from www.kimpacific.com (site's down this instant) and they have elastic plus a nylon drawstring. I usually tie the drawstring just in case but the elastic alone should work for the average class. I definitely prefer the nylon drawstring over the traditional cotton string as the cotton ones seem to seize in place after a particularly energetic class and I'm left standing in the changing room trying to get the string to slide even a fraction of an inch so I can get the pants off. I definitely don't need to worry about these falling off!

Marc
Old 11-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #4
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

Bu Jin does elastic-plus-drawstring pants too. I take the drawstring out and discard it--the elastic works great. After getting skinned out of my old drawstring pants in an overly energetic ikkyo, I would not willingly go back to that style!

How about blown-out knees on the pants? I keep sewing up the holes but my attempts only last a month or so.

Mary Kaye
Old 11-19-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

I add elastic to my drawstring pants. Just thread it through alongside the drawstring and (machine) sew the ends together with about a 1" (25mm) overlap. Personally, I've found the easiest way to thread it through is to tape it to a chopstick.

I like Marc's idea of replacing the cotton drawstring with a synthetic one, I'll definitely give that a try.

I usually find new pants a bit too long, and the waist a little high (or the crotch too low, depending on how you look at it), so I usually lower the waist a bit rather than turning them up at the ankle. Its pretty simple to do with a machine, though I imagine it'd be rather tedious by hand.

Sean
x
Old 11-20-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
Janet Rosen

great feedback, folks--thanks!
marc, instructions on machine or hand hemming are not unique to aikido, so I wouldn't want to spend a column on it. For gi pants I'd just cut off the excess, leaving one inch more than desired finished length, turn to the inside 1/2" and press, then turn again 1/2" to "bury" the raw cut edge, press again, pin, and sew.
mary, blown out knees just as in jeans should be patched--you want to use prewashedfabric of similar weight/color to the pants (for gi pants I'd look for a lightweight all cotton twill as a lightwt plain weave won't hold up so well)--cut it with at least 1" margin larger than hole on all 4 sides and stitch in place. For aikido use, I'd recommend TWO patches, one on outside and one on insede, so the hole is sandwiched between two good layers (and a great opportunity to add knee padding!)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

Personally, I prefer drawstring ties to elastic.

But if someone is removing the drawstring from their dogi zubon, it seems to me that the spare drawstring would make quite a few modesty-ties for dogi jackets, with a little more style conformity that a shoestring.

Just a thought....
Old 11-21-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
mikeym
United_States

"Modesty ties" are common on the blue, kendo-style dogi tops, although they're usually cut a little differently.

- Mike
Old 11-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
Kent Enfield

United_States

Quote:
Mike Malkin wrote:
"Modesty ties" are common on the blue, kendo-style dogi tops, although they're usually cut a little differently.
They're on all kendogi, no matter the color: blue, white, "natural", two-tone musashi, etc.

Kentokuseisei
Old 11-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #10
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
Fred Little wrote:
Personally, I prefer drawstring ties to elastic.

But if someone is removing the drawstring from their dogi zubon, it seems to me that the spare drawstring would make quite a few modesty-ties for dogi jackets, with a little more style conformity that a shoestring.

Just a thought....
Yeah, that's what I've done. I cut up old gi pants for knee patches and use the drawstring for modesty ties.

What I like to do for knees is sew a patch that goes all the way from above the knee to the ankle, on new pants already. Except for my Matsuru pants that have double material on the front of the pant legs anyway. Matsuru is the best.

kvaak
Pauliina
who likes drawstring pants
Old 03-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
Tony Levi

you make it look almost simple even to me! i am a coward though so i think i will stick to the good-old rolling of the sleeves every minute or so :P
no way i am going to torture myself with all those threads and niddles

Soft hearted biologist and a veteran member of the winged community
parrots: http://www.greyforums.net
pigeons: http://www.pigeons.biz