Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Internal Training in Aikido

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Ellis Amdur

A 2nd Revised Version of HIPS

Concerning a 2nd edition of Hidden in Plain Sight: Tracing the Roots of Ueshiba Morihei's Power

I currently have about 250 copies of this book in print. I believe it really highlighted the renaissance of internal strength training within Japanese martial arts, in the Western world. At the current pace, they'll probably sell out by the spring of next year, but this might be faster, given interest in my work engendered by some other recent publications. In general, it discusses a substrate training that was surely present in many, if not most, koryu arts, although largely abandoned by the Showa period (hence the fascination so many had re Takeda Sokaku and his students).

I was fortunate to have several people pick up errors in the text, most notably concerning an errant translation of the Kojiki as well as information regarding the Shinkage-ryu menkyo that Ueshiba Morihei received from Takeda Sokaku http://www.edgework.info/documents/H...atarevised.pdf

Given that I will, of course, incorporate these corrections in a new edition, as well as changes in my own understanding of the material discussed in this book, I would like to make any and all improvements possible to the manuscript. I will probably incorporate at least one other chapter, that I wrote elsewhere, on incorporating internal training within aikido practice.

I am making an open request here for those who own a copy of the book:
1. If you see anything that you believe in error in the book, please send me the page and line numbers, and your correction.
2. If you believe that certain information could be explained better, please send me the page and line numbers, and explain what you don't think is clear.
3. If you believe that certain information could be augmented, please send me the page and line numbers, and give me the information you believe would augment things.
4. If there is additional information that you'd like to provide, please give me as much detail as you possibly can, and send me the page and line numbers, where you think it would be best placed.
5. Any other ways that you think the book could be improved, please let me know.

Small, nitpicky comments are as welcome as big issues. Grammar and spelling as well. I've no guarantees how I'll use what you might send, but I will only cite you if I am true to what you sent me. (If I think I can use part of what you've sent, I'll communicate with you first to determine how best to give you credit, if you want it). Some of you have either far advanced understanding of this topic, or at least have an understanding of some aspects of this that I am not so versed. So I would appreciate any comments you might have.

Send all such communication to my email address (not facebook, please) at ellis@edgework.info