Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #51
Janet Rosen

Re: Taking notes?

I would add that without notes I would never remember things when working at home like which foot and hand to match up, to start something with stepping left or right first, to step vs. slide, which foot to pivot on, or on internal exercises which things move together and which opposite, when to open and when to close....I don't understand how people hold those things in their mind/body withOUT some written reminder when they are early in the learning process.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #52
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

not much of a note taker meself. i have a different method that i used. before i go to bed, i would sit and meditate where i will "replay" the various moves or things that i learned that day. if you watch the movie Kuro Obi, at the end, where it shown the guys, one at the time, in a darken room with light shining on him, does the kata (i liked the kata done by the gojuryu guy - akihito yagi). that is what i do. imagine myself in a darken room with light shine on me performing the moves and correcting as i see fit. then when i need to do the move(s), i just put my body where my mind's body was. used to drive my karate instructor nuts. he would show me kata after kata (i was kyu rank at the time), to the point he would show me dan ranked kata like kusanku, empi, jutte and so on. he said each of these kata would take dan level at least 6 months. i went through each of them in a few weeks. he asked me how i did that. i told him my approach. after that he shown me the nunchaku and tonfa kata instead. i believed he was hoping that i knocked myself in the head and stop bother him.

so when i meditated and went through the kata, i used to twitch my body to follow the moves. my wife asked why i twitched while meditating. i said i was doing the high level and sophisticated meditation technique: dyslexic meditation.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #53
kewms

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
For me the traditional, see and do, see and do, the whole kata start to finish each time, if it is more than 3 or 4 movements is utterly baffling.
I'm not sure how traditional that is... my two main teachers both have classical weapons training, and both teach kata a few moves at a time. (Depending on the class. They'll move more quickly with a class that already knows that particular kata.)

Katherine
Old 11-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #54
Janet Rosen

Phi, I learned to do the muscle twitch thing during the long months I was off the mat after ACL graft. I'd sit on a chair off the mat, watching class, and sort of "twitch along with sensei"; then when driving home or sitting and relaxing at home would do it again. It DOES help build "muscle memory."

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
not much of a note taker meself. i have a different method that i used. before i go to bed, i would sit and meditate where i will "replay" the various moves or things that i learned that day. if you watch the movie Kuro Obi, at the end, where it shown the guys, one at the time, in a darken room with light shining on him, does the kata (i liked the kata done by the gojuryu guy - akihito yagi). that is what i do. imagine myself in a darken room with light shine on me performing the moves and correcting as i see fit. then when i need to do the move(s), i just put my body where my mind's body was. used to drive my karate instructor nuts. he would show me kata after kata (i was kyu rank at the time), to the point he would show me dan ranked kata like kusanku, empi, jutte and so on. he said each of these kata would take dan level at least 6 months. i went through each of them in a few weeks. he asked me how i did that. i told him my approach. after that he shown me the nunchaku and tonfa kata instead. i believed he was hoping that i knocked myself in the head and stop bother him.

so when i meditated and went through the kata, i used to twitch my body to follow the moves. my wife asked why i twitched while meditating. i said i was doing the high level and sophisticated meditation technique: dyslexic meditation.

Janet Rosen
Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #55
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
I'm not sure how traditional that is... my two main teachers both have classical weapons training, and both teach kata a few moves at a time. (Depending on the class. They'll move more quickly with a class that already knows that particular kata.)

Katherine
Well, that's good to know. Sure seems to be "traditional" in many aikido dojos of the various flavors I've trained in.

Janet Rosen
Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #56
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
not much of a note taker meself. i have a different method that i used. before i go to bed, i would sit and meditate where i will "replay" the various moves or things that i learned that day.
There are good neurological reasons for this. When you watch somebody do something or when you visualize it in detail yourself, whole sections of the brain fire in the same pattern as if you were actually doing it yourself. So there's a real training benefit there.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #57
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
There are good neurological reasons for this. When you watch somebody do something or when you visualize it in detail yourself, whole sections of the brain fire in the same pattern as if you were actually doing it yourself. So there's a real training benefit there.
Yupps. There's research on this. Some sports coaches use it.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #58
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

If you visualize it, it´s important that you visualize as realistic as possible.

My former whitewater slalom coach used to time his visualized runs and compare them to the real ones, the difference was usually just a couple of seconds. I have never been good at that kind of visualization, my times were not even close.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #59
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
If you visualize it, it´s important that you visualize as realistic as possible.

My former whitewater slalom coach used to time his visualized runs and compare them to the real ones, the difference was usually just a couple of seconds. I have never been good at that kind of visualization, my times were not even close.
Interesting exercise!

Janet Rosen
Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #60
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

Notes, pictures, photos, arrows, shoe diagrams...I agree with everyone who has said that it isn't about the notation but rather the mental process of ruminating on instruction in order to record something. It is akin to an additional class.